How soon will 3GS mania die down?

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
We can now judge the launch based on sales. And it looks as though this was/is a huge launch. I am curious as to how many handsets sold in the us alone over launch weekend??? Anyone know?

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Well, no one thought the 3G would have been as big as the 2G launch... well it surpassed it by a lot.

So, I'm starting to think that those that didn't upgrade from the 2G will definitely be getting the 3Gs.
Yes, and even with the glitches, the 3GS launch was better managed; moved more phones with shorter lines.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if ATT had this planned all along. Think about it....

First you introduce the new model and offer the ability to pre-order their phone. Then you rely on forums like this to allow passionate iphone fans to whip up support for the impending launch. This will undoubtedly cause some folks to become upset who are not eliglble for an upgrade, but would upgrade in a heartbeat if given a chance.

A couple of days before launch, you release this "heartfelt" press release stating "we hear our fans and we just had to respond". All of the sudden the rules regarding eligibility are changed and ATT looks like a hero....building goodwill and additional 3Gs iphone revenues along the way.
I am thinking about it. I do not give credit for cunning for what can easily be explained by luck. Let's face it; without the iPhone and a lot of luck, AT&T Wireless would be years behind the pack instead of only tens of months. While AT&T has made progress since signing up Apple, they are further behind the curve.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I know that launch weekend sold 1 million (pinky to corner of lip). My question was is that a whole world number or a us number only? One o the points brought up in another thread was that the iPhone only outsold the pre because the pre is not available outside the us. So I was curious as to what the U.S. Sales numbers were.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
So the "S"is more toy than anything?? Lol!

Today I drove past the Apple store at Town Center in Vegas and there was a line out the door! Still? I am kinda shocked that it is still hard to get a 3G"S"

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I know that launch weekend sold 1 million (pinky to corner of lip). My question was is that a whole world number or a us number only? One o the points brought up in another thread was that the iPhone only outsold the pre because the pre is not available outside the us. So I was curious as to what the U.S. Sales numbers were.

I can't remember.. the number I saw was being reported by U.S. sites..

Entertainment72

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
3GS turned out to be huge.. I plan on upgrading not when Apple gets their act together but At&t. MMS and 7.2 is a ways away..sadly.

Compass is blah.. not that significant..
Video is nice to have but not worth another contract
Speed will be nice..
7.2 is what I am more interested in..
MMS 3G can get so..

traylorc

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
I am thinking about it. I do not give credit for cunning for what can easily be explained by luck. Let's face it; without the iPhone and a lot of luck, AT&T Wireless would be years behind the pack instead of only tens of months. While AT&T has made progress since signing up Apple, they are further behind the curve.

My comment regarding one strategic move is not an endorsement of ATT's business model and/or overall strategy. You didn't hear me exclaim that ATT is the greatest wireless provider in the world, or that they are head and shoulders above every other provider. My comment was addressing the whole "ATT listened to their upset fans who were not going to be eligible for an upgrade." In my opinion, I believe ATT had every intention of modifying their eligibility requirements and used this as a public relations opportunity to appear to be a company who "cares".

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
3GS turned out to be huge.. I plan on upgrading not when Apple gets their act together but At&t. MMS and 7.2 is a ways away..sadly.

Compass is blah.. not that significant..
Video is nice to have but not worth another contract
Speed will be nice..
7.2 is what I am more interested in..
MMS 3G can get so..
How old are you? I have been waiting since the CarterPhone Decision for AT&T to get their act together. I no longer believe that I have that much time.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen