new post on the apple site about Tethering is not currently offered in the U.S. and some other countries. So what you think of that now apple show it and now pulling it out of os 3.0
    06-14-2009 06:46 AM
    It's up to ATT Wireless to offer it. Apple can put it in, but ATT won't let you do it. It's no big deal, tethering is SLLLLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW....
    06-14-2009 07:15 AM
    Tethering is surprisingly fast for me, at least on Rogers in Canada. The CPU speed of a laptop renders web pages pretty quickly over HSPA 3G connections
    06-14-2009 09:10 AM
    new post on the apple site about Tethering is not currently offered in the U.S. and some other countries. So what you think of that now apple show it and now pulling it out of os 3.0
    To clear up the confusion... 3.0 software WILL contain the code for tethering, however, AT&T is currently not supporting it until they have settled out an addition charge [my inference]. the lack of AT&T support at launch is the reason that it is not available in the USA.

After some *brief* research, it appears that AT&T is looking to tack on a $10/mo charge for the tethering option. IMO, that is cheap compared to other companies. Verizon charges to tether a blackberry, depending on your data plan, the tethering option + data package allways equals $60/mo --- that is, if your data plan is the BIS (personal) plan, @ $29.99/mo, add tethering for $30/mo = $60/month... IF you have the BES (business) plan @ $44.99/mo, add tethering for $15/month = $60/month.

so, a $10 charge for tethering, while completely unnecessary is pretty fair in the US markets, at least against Verizon.

I'm not exactly sure on the Sprint or T-Mobile pricing plans, so if anyone wants to interject on Sprint or T-Mobile, feel free .

Research: iPhone Tethering: AT&T May Shock Us All and Charge $10 | MacBlogz - One Stop Apple News
    06-14-2009 09:13 AM
    @Rene me too!!
    Even on edge, my friends house is in a crap area and she gets reeeeeally bad reception because of all the buildings around her house ad she only gets edge, but using PDAnet I was still able to comfortably take a quickcapture video on YouTube .

I'm running os 3.0 and I went into my settings and there was a thing that said "enable Internet tethering", so I clicked it and then it said to call Rogers to get them to enable it on my account. WTF? Rogers recently stated that Canadian users can do whatever they want with their iPhone data, so why isn't it automatically enabled for all smartphone?

Gonna have to call them again soon -_-
    06-14-2009 09:16 AM
    Tethering is surprisingly fast for me, at least on Rogers in Canada. The CPU speed of a laptop renders web pages pretty quickly over HSPA 3G connections
    i'd be curious Rene, if you could do a speedtest.net test over your 3G connection?
    06-14-2009 09:17 AM
    I think they will add it with mms
    06-14-2009 10:00 AM
    I use tethering all the time with Netshare. I was great and fast. I watched Hulu over it as well as sling on my mac.
    06-14-2009 11:26 AM
    so, a $10 charge for tethering, while completely unnecessary is pretty fair in the US markets, at least against Verizon.
    If it's $10 that would be great, I might even think about paying for it so I don't have to live in fear of caps using netshare...

but I think it will be more like $30 extra a month so.
    06-14-2009 11:38 AM
    oh, i would assume there would be caps.. every carrier i've looked into have 5gb caps per month... but its pretty hard to hit 5gb of data... at least for me...
    06-14-2009 01:49 PM
    Jellotime91:

I had the same problem and got no help for "tethering" from Rogers support. Eventually I just called up and said I needed my Visual Voice Mail Value Pack updated or removed and re-added. They did the latter, reset my connection, and voila! tethering.

Seems it's only enabled when a change is recently made, so if you -- like me -- set up an iPhone a year ago, the account just isn't "aware" of it.
    06-14-2009 03:32 PM
    Oh! Thanks a lot!
    06-14-2009 06:25 PM
    I've been getting anywhere between .55mbps (550kbps) and 1.32mbps (1320kbps) in the recent weeks. That's pretty fast on my iPhone, almost instant webpage loading. I'm not sure how the speed will look on computer though.
    06-14-2009 07:09 PM
    Faster. The computer will render pages a lot faster.
    06-14-2009 09:59 PM
    I think they will add it with mms
    So much for that idea.
    02-15-2010 05:43 PM
    To clear up the confusion... 3.0 software WILL contain the code for tethering, however, AT&T is currently not supporting it until they have settled out an addition charge [my inference]. the lack of AT&T support at launch is the reason that it is not available in the USA. ....
    I think that your post added to the confusion.

The evidence seems clear to me that if AT&T could control it, or needed to "support it," it would not work on JB phones. One IP application looks pretty much the same to AT&T as any other. It is Apple that knows about appliications. Whether it is in the OS or not is irrelevant; Apple restricts it by restricting applications.

Tethering does not require any "support" from AT&T. What it requires is for Apple to get out of the way.

Admittedly, AT&T does not want you to tether over the iPhone. They want you to use their branded card and code. That they can control. They also get $60 a month for it, whether or not you are an iPhone customer.

As with Sling and MMS, when AT&T tells Apple that it is OK, it will happen. Apple's only motive for resisting it is to appease AT&T.

Perhaps we should get the authors of PDANet to complain to the FCC like Sling did.
    Last edited by whmurray; 02-15-2010 at 05:59 PM.
    02-15-2010 05:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD