Not sure if this belongs here or not. Just some general questions about selling my iPhone.

To sell it, all I need to do is restore it (remove all my data) and then remove the sim, correct?

I can't find the box that it came with, but I have another box for an iPhone that I no longer have. The EMEI and serial number is different on that box - is there any problem with shipping it in that box, so long as the buyer knows that the serial number and EMEI is not accurate?

In your opinion, and I going to drastically cut the amount of money I will get if I wait to sell it around the middle of July (when I am eligable to upgrade) and the 3GS is already out? I would prefer to have a relatively seamless transition from 3G to 3GS, but if it means that I won't be able to get $300 or so, I may reconsider.

Chris
    06-13-2009 10:21 AM
    Not sure if this belongs here or not. Just some general questions about selling my iPhone.

To sell it, all I need to do is restore it (remove all my data) and then remove the sim, correct?

I can't find the box that it came with, but I have another box for an iPhone that I no longer have. The EMEI and serial number is different on that box - is there any problem with shipping it in that box, so long as the buyer knows that the serial number and EMEI is not accurate?

In your opinion, and I going to drastically cut the amount of money I will get if I wait to sell it around the middle of July (when I am eligable to upgrade) and the 3GS is already out? I would prefer to have a relatively seamless transition from 3G to 3GS, but if it means that I won't be able to get $300 or so, I may reconsider.

Chris
    I sold my 2 3G iphones yesterday. I have a feeling the value may decline.

I'm dealing with a cheap flip phone til july 11th. it sucks, but i got 750 bucks for 2 iPhone 3G 16GBs. we have a 150$ profit after we upgrade to the 3G Ses.
    06-13-2009 12:21 PM
    1. Correct, simply wipe it completely out.

2. Should be no problem... like you said, just make sure the buyer is aware of the IMEI and Serial being different.

3. I'd say you will lose some money sure. By that time the 3G S will be all over the place and the top tier iPhone. The only place where the 3G will not lose money is to T-Mobile customers... By that time 3.0 should be un-lockable - hopefully. I've sold a few iPhones and without a doubt T-Mobile folk are going to spend more to get their hands on a iPhone.
    06-13-2009 01:26 PM
    Hmmm, this has me wanting to sell mine this week and use a flip phone for the time being...
    06-13-2009 05:32 PM
    I don't have a backup phone, although when my g/f gets her 3G S on Friday I would be able to use that old POS for a couple weeks if need be. Guess it's time to check out ebay.
    06-13-2009 05:59 PM
    Well if you need something soon, just get an AT&T GOphone for like 20 bucks from walmart and pop your sim card in.
    06-14-2009 12:04 AM
    I just decided that if I have to take a bit less money waiting 3 weeks after the launch then so be it, I can't go back to a crap phone
    06-14-2009 12:20 AM
    I am sort of in the same boat. I am going in the field in late June, and will be counting on my iPhone for email and internet.

Chris
    06-14-2009 01:10 AM
    I am going in the field in late June
    So help us, Chris, if you create a new breed of super-intelligent iPhone using mosquitos...!
    06-14-2009 07:29 AM
    So help us, Chris, if you create a new breed of super-intelligent iPhone using mosquitos...!
    Lol.... iQuitoes... with the upgraded speed of 7.2 mega bites per second.
    06-14-2009 10:33 AM
    Think they will download the various mosquito-whine apps?
    06-14-2009 10:48 AM
    I just unlocked my 3G iPhone white. I am hoping to get $500. Reasonable?
    06-14-2009 11:02 AM
    I just unlocked my 3G iPhone white. I am hoping to get $500. Reasonable?
    If it was a 3.0 unlock, you might get that. Non unlocked att iPhone 3G 16GBs are selling for about 325-365 on ebay just for a reference.
    06-14-2009 11:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD