My Son has been eagerly awaiting the release of the 3Gs because he knows that he'll get my old IPhone. He does not need the data plan but wants games(go figure)

My question is- do I absolutely have to buy him a data plan? or can I just put the sim card from his old phone into my old phone?

My plan is to talk with AT&T about this but wanted to get some AMMO before going into battle with them.
    06-10-2009 11:44 PM
    also interested in this...
    06-11-2009 12:01 AM
    I would think they just swap out the SIM card and give you back your old phone. Not sure if the iphone works without a SIM card in it, it may just give you the "Emergency Call" screen. If so, that would kind've suck.
    06-11-2009 12:05 AM
    I would say jailbreak and unlock it so you can use it without a SIM and go from there.
    06-11-2009 12:18 AM
    He already has a phone on my account. will his sim card work in my old IPhone. He is currently on vacation otherwise I would just check.

I want to try and do this without jailbreaking. am even willing to pay for the extra data plan to avoid it. Not a jab to jailbreakers, I am just not talented enough to go through all those steps.

we'll just see what AT&T has to say bout this and I will report back

if anyone has already done this, say when they upgraded to the 3G, let us know what you did.
    Last edited by chobbs1; 06-11-2009 at 01:14 AM.
    06-11-2009 12:36 AM
    AT&T will notice that his phone is now an iPhone and automagically change his account to an iPhone plan...
    06-11-2009 09:45 AM
    thanks for the replies. so it looks like I either jailbreak it or pay. I may have to cross over to the dark side and jail break
    06-12-2009 05:17 AM
    My son has returned home. we went to the AT&T store and I set up the old iphone as his phone. they even did this without changing his current contract date so his eligibility status has not changed! and the old iphone data plan is still the same price!
    08-05-2009 12:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD