3Gs Camera seems too good to be true

Scott R

Oct 29, 2001
tapland.com
So, like many, I was a little disappointed in yesterday's announcement. I'm a long-time Treo user and have been itching to get something new. A couple months back I got an iPod Touch so that I could experience most of the iPhone experience without the AT&T commitment, and I've liked it quite a bit. I figured I'd wait to see the Palm pre first-hand, and wait to see what, if any, new iPhone hardware was coming out. I still haven't had a chance to play with a pre in person, but I was already leaning towards an iPhone, and the 3Gs probably strengthens my decision.

The thing that impressed me the most and which not many seem to be talking much about is the camera. I've been a long time complainer about camera phones. I really think that the quality could have been decent-enough long ago, but phone makers have never given it enough consideration. I bought a super-tiny Canon a while back but, as small as it is, most of the time it gets left at home, and a camera at home isn't of any value. Unfortunately, my Treo 700p's camera is so poor that I very rarely take photos with it, and they're never worth posting online, let alone printing (not that I ever care about printing photos anyway).

The size of the iPhone 3Gs's lens still seems awfully tiny, and there's no flash, but the sample photos they showed at WWDC and posted on their site look extremely impressive:
Apple - iPhone - Take photos with a 3-megapixel camera.

I'm thinking specifically of the low-light photo, but the macro shot, and same-photo-different-focus shots are also impressive. Because of the tiny lens, I'm still skeptical, so I'll have to wait to see more samples from real users.

Is anyone else as cautiously excited as I am about the camera?

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Scott:

I work for a company that has been working on designing tiny piezoelectric devices for tiny autofocus mechanisms (mainly for cell phones). While most people don't even know this market exists, it is VERY competitive and there have been alot of companies that have been working on this for years because they foresaw that this would eventually become a necessity in cell phone devices.

So, the autofocus technology on lenses like this is not necessarily new. However, it is very cost competitive, so I would be concerned about the quality of the autofocus mechanism. But, the quality of the images is legit I"m sure.

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Oh yeah, and the tap to focus feature is unbelievably innovative. If you've ever used the autofocus on a Canon Elph, you know that it draws a box around the closest blob (usually a face, or whatever) and sometimes is incorrect.

Some cameras have little arrows you can try and move the box around with, but I've never seen a touchscreen version where you just tap the area of interest. I'm sure Apple has patented this feature.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
My AT&T Tilt (2 year old phone) has a really good auto-focus camera and it's just as tiny. What's in the iPhone seems to be a very similar thing (and likely better.) So I am optimistic.

I've heard grumblings that being mechanical it could get broken easily if you dropped the phone. But I have never heard of that being an issue.

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
I went to look at the pictures and the site and some pics do look like an improvement over the 2.0 and some looked enhanced IMO. Considering that the camera has all these auto features, it isn't that hard to believe.

Also , not all cell phone cameras are made the same. I've had a LG Shine and a Blackjack II before and they both have 2.0mp cameras. Comparing both the Shine and BJ II to the iPhone 3G 2mp camera ---- the iPhone camera beats them bar none when it comes to photo quality.

So Even though it's only 3.0mp and so on, the photos could possibly be very true.

MaTiCeK

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
I really hope it turns out true. I mean, Nokia has done phones with 3.2 mp and higher res for at least 4 years now. I used to own the n95 2 years ago and even for today's standards it still shoots amazing pictures.

Now these sample iPhone 3Gs shots really look amazing and if the quality turns out to be legit, it could well be the needed push for me to consider upgrading from 3G.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Keep in mind, they probably used professional photographers to take these pics, and waited for the best lighting, and we have no idea how many photos were taken to come up with their samples. A great photographer can take a great picture with a disposable camera. Good equipment makes it easier, but it's more about the photographers knowledge and skill than the equipment.

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
I really hope it turns out true. I mean, Nokia has done phones with 3.2 mp and higher res for at least 4 years now. I used to own the n95 2 years ago and even for today's standards it still shoots amazing pictures.

Now these sample iPhone 3Gs shots really look amazing and if the quality turns out to be legit, it could well be the needed push for me to consider upgrading from 3G.

N95 still has a better can than most phones out there. 5 megapixel with flash. I was hoping the Gs would have at least a 5mp.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711