Will it always be Thus...

icebike

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I let my mind wander to the future in a Birthday Bash post. http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/ipho...ffice-mobile-suite-give-away.html#post1477611

But that was fiction.

In this post, I want to raise the issue of the form factor first, and features second.

Will the iPhone Form factor always remain what it is today, (or close thereto), or will we see different sized iPhones in the future?

Does the iPhone REALLY have enough screen real estate?
Could it be half an inch wider? Taller?
Would that make it hard to talk on?
Would it make a better Reader if it were slightly bigger?
Have we approached the limits of functionality in the race for "Small".

(Personally I'd like to see more screen space. But still pocket sized.)

Do we really NEED to hold the phone up to our ear?
What if Apple included a Bluetooth headset with each phone? Would people go for that and forget about having a device small enough to hold up to your ear? With voice command and voice dial, do we really need to hold the device just to talk? Too much like The Borg?

Will Video Calling arrives as Bandwidth availability increases? Some business and the love smitten want it, but realistically most people do not want to seen, and nobody has managed to energize that market and produce a popular video phone.

What about printer support? Over Wifi or Bluetooth, or even the cell network? Could Apple convince the major printer manufactures to release drivers for a phone? Could the iPhone directly manage a PPD file so any postscript printer could be used? Could Apple make a killing selling a iPhone Printer that works with any app that cares to use it?

Can't we JUST own the iPhone without ALSO having to own a Computer?
I don't have to keep an Automotive Maintenance Bay in the garage just to own a car. Why can't I JUST own a phone that can talk to services over the net, and dispense with having to worry every time I travel without my Computer? Can't it back up to a Pedestal that we can manage with a web interface from the phone itself?

Cant we get away from the Sync Cable all together? Use Wifi to talk to the the net, the pedestal, the printers, the AppleTv. Can't we use wireless chargers? See: Wireless Power Consortium or Splashpower - wireless power for your mobile devices - Home

Where will future technology take us?

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
hmm. thats a lot of questions or "musings", if you will.

one that stuck out was the holding the phone up to my ear. I already have ditched that practice. I hate holding the phone. I use the bang olufson headset and actually prefer wearing it rather than holding the phone. I've owned this particular head set for well over a year and still use it all day everyday. it is the best accessory that I have bought for this phone.

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
... I use the bang olufson headset and actually prefer wearing it rather than holding the phone. I've owned this particular head set for well over a year and still use it all day everyday. it is the best accessory that I have bought for this phone.
Which Bang & Olufsen? Earset 1, 2 or 3? They're all quite expensive but the Earset 2 takes the cake at a whooping $350!!! :eek:

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
We will see the iPhone continue to evolve. There are always fake concept pictures out on the internet. I specifically enjoyed the aluminum body iPhone. Apple designers will continue to study the competition and search for ways to not only functionally outsmart them, but aesthetically as well.

The current brick design is getting old. I read somewhere that Apple may be on a 3-year design cycle. We'll have to wait and see what the iPhone 4G looks like.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
the earset 2 is the one I got. i know it's expensive but like I've already stated, I am still usig it all day every day after a year and 1/2.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner