• shortly after WWDC, but before 3rd gen iPhone

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • at the same time as the new iPhone, just like last year

Votes: 9 27.3%

• Total voters

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I know we have a poll on these forums started by Bad Ash quite a long time ago for 3.0 release timeframe, but now with iTunes 8.2 out and WWDC around the corner I wanted to see if you think we will see 3.0 at WWDC, shortly after WWDC, or with the release of the 3rd gen iPhone.

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Well there were rumors that there will be an event after WWDC for the iPhone a week later.

Maybe the software will be released at WWDC and the hardware previewed but released the following week.

This way , current iPhone users can see what 3.0 is like and if they feel as if they are missing out an features because of hardware limitations ( compass , mms[ first gen ] , better camera etc ) they will buy the hardware the following week.

I'm pretty sure a few people will be content with 3.0 on their old devices.

Shangraham

May 28, 2009
Visit site
I voted for the release shortly after WWDC. They'd be smart to do it that way to avoid the madness of everyone upgrading and activating new phones at the same time. If 3.0 came out before the new phones it would help alleviate many of the iTunes crashes and what not that happened last year. My iPhone was bricked for awhile when iTunes went down and it couldn't activate my phone.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
With 8.2 confirmed to not break Pre syncing and now Apple adding resource links to the 3.0 beta area of the dev center, just more to back up a release of 3.0 before 3rd gen iPhone.

gary_gnu

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
After the debacle that was the MobileMe/iPhone 3G/iPhone OS 2.0 last year, I hope they stagger it by a few days. That said, I'm hoping for the iPhone OS 3.0 ASAP.

:)

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I've noticed several of my apps have had updates in the past few days that said they were only to make them compatible with 3.0, so I'm hoping it's next week..

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I also believe that staggering the release dates will alleviate server traffic. I tell you what! I will be on those servers both on the 3.0 update and to activate my new phone! staggered or not (if there is indeed a new phone) If I go to bed early for the next few days, will time go by quicker?????

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
Well, I don't think any of us know for sure as all of us are guessing. But if I would guess, I'd say if not at WWDC, shortly after.

Last edited:

Insanoshano

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
They better release this OS ASAP!! I'm actually starting to get a gut feeling that this Friday seems to be feasable..I mean it would allow all the developers going to the WWDC to download it and have it ready for the WWDC..or maybe im just being impatient..haha

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
There is no way they will release it officially without any fanfare. I can see them doing an overview, mentioning new features they have kept from us in the betas and telling us at the end of keynote, "Oh and by the way...3.0 is available for download immediately today."