Multiple Accounts or On-Device Re-Downloads?

Allow Re-Downloads vs. Allow Multiple Accounts?

• New Way! Multiple Accounts are worth the loss!

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Old Way! Give me back my free re-downloads!

Votes: 24 72.7%
  • Don't care! Don't/won't use either!

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
With regards to this story on the blog: http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/05/31/apple-charging-redownload-apps-iphone/

The question is:

Would you rather have the new 3.0 setup, where you can login to multiple iTunes accounts on an iPhone but can't re-download paid apps for free on that iPhone (but can via iTunes on the computer)

OR

The old 2.x setup where you could re-download paid apps directly onto your iPhone, but could only change accounts via iTunes on the computer

Please pick an option, and we'll see if we're agreeing with Apple on this one or not.

(Note: Chad reminds us this is still beta 3.0, so who knows if it will make it into the final firmware -- maybe we can change Apple's mind -- har!)

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
I want both!! :)

Seriously though, I think Apple should just have some limit (like 5) to how many iPhones can be logged into an account at once and let us re-download over the air... similar to authorizing computers to an account. Always having to get onto the computer to re-download an app is stupid.

I still voted for the new way because I have 3 different accounts I have apps on (2 are mine, 1 is my parents' :D)

bmfan#IM

May 12, 2009
Visit site
doesn't really matter to me one way or the other, but i can see how it would be more convenient to re download directly to your phone.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm on 3.0 and have re-downloaded apps today and I get the same message I always have, the re-download is free. Perhaps only people with multiple accounts on their phone get this message.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
My wife and I use the same iTunes account. Yes, this means she has access to all the apps I download (although she only uses about 10% of them....at most).

I would much prefer to have redownloads be free also because there are many times that I go multiple days between syncs - and I may buy an app, and then delete it all before I sync the phone. I would guess at least 25% of my apps (probably more) don't appear in my iTunes library of apps because they have never been synched!

Chris

athynz

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
I can see why they would do that but there are other ways to go about doing it - someone brought up using the same device authorization system as other iTunes products like songs and movies and that would work but personally I prefer the way it is right now.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I still have yet to have this happen to me on 3.0 so I'm not so sure what's going on. Either way though, does not bother me.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Old way, like it is right this minute. I can see adding multiple account support to the iPod Touch as I know couples and others who share iPods and have their own iTunes accounts and such.

But I know no one who shares a cell phone other than my grandparents. They don't know what iTunes is and when they saw me with my iPhone the first time my grandpa asked if it was "real" because he never imagined he would see a device like he used to see on Star Trek back in his day.

Do people have more than one iTunes account? You can only sync the iPhone with one computer anyway, what is the purpose of multiple account support?

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I personally don't care about the multiple accounts. I like the ability to redownload the apps at a moments notice. I nearly constantly have my 9 pages full of apps... I might not update to 3.0 if I can't do it :eek:

3.0 is going to give you 11 pages of apps, so you will have a little more room, and I also wonder if you only get this pop up if you have more than one account on your phone. I only have one account and I have not seen it, I have re-downloaded apps just to try and get this pop up and I haven't...but I only have one account on my phone.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I could be terrible wrong on this, but I think that hiding icons (via jailbreak) will allow ou to have more than the state number of apps. With the search in 3.0, you might be able to hide a bunch of apps to make more room...

Razelus

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
I have 1 account as well and will stick with the old way although I'd like the limit of devices to be higher ...say like 8 instead of 5 because I have teens and multiple computers so as of right now I'm at my limit.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2