View Poll Results: Would you favor a back button to return to the previous screen in one step?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 46.30%
  • Doesn't matter

14 25.93%
  • No

15 27.78%
    Wouldn't it be great if there was an easy one-step back button to return to the previous screen? My former Samsung Blackjack had this, and I miss the convenience.
    05-31-2009 11:01 AM
    Every app I have has a back button to get to the previous screen...
    05-31-2009 11:28 AM
    Every app I have has a back button to get to the previous screen...
    Agreed.
    05-31-2009 12:50 PM
    What they said ^^^
    05-31-2009 01:41 PM
    I concur with the responses so far
    05-31-2009 02:14 PM
    Yeah, to me a back button would be kind of counter-productive as the whole point was to not have buttons really. Every app I've ever had has a previous or back button built in to suit the app.
    05-31-2009 03:46 PM
    Too much like a BB and who wants that. Besides Kevin!
    05-31-2009 04:14 PM
    like others have said, it already exists in most apps
    05-31-2009 05:29 PM
    I think what I would like best is something that would return me to the previous app.

Instead of exiting the current app to have to go back to the home screen to launch the other app, I would like a " recent app " function.
    05-31-2009 05:49 PM
    I think what I would like best is something that would return me to the previous app.

Instead of exiting the current app to have to go back to the home screen to launch the other app, I would like a " recent app " function.
    Oh, I LOVE this idea!
    05-31-2009 09:12 PM
    I wonder if that's something a developer could (easily) do? I remember apps on Palm to give this functionality, and then they finally built it into the Treo 755/Centro.
    05-31-2009 11:18 PM
    I think a button for a back function would be superfluous. As others have said apps that would be able to take advantage of this function already have a "back" button, and those that don't need it don't have one. I think if the button was there and not needed for an app it would be frustrating to hit the button and have nothing happen. Not to mention that is another button that devs would need to program for.
    05-31-2009 11:58 PM
    3 way split. 7 up! HaHa. I made a funny. Nevermind, lol.
    06-01-2009 01:41 AM
    3 way split. 7 up! HaHa. I made a funny. Nevermind, lol.
    I got it.

And yeah I like the idea of a recent app function, not in the form of a tactile button though. How about just that devs could implement, or that Apple would, or maybe you could send a recent shortcut to when you double tap the home button.
    06-01-2009 02:01 AM
    The "Home" button could double as a "back" button. As it is now it can be configured to do different functions. This would allow you to return to a web page after using a link, for example. It is very time consuming to always have to the home screen and reopen any given app if you were redirected ( even accidently) to a link. The mail app is a perfect example.
    06-01-2009 09:27 AM
    Every app does not have a back button! Every time I look up a restaurant and click "directions to" I get taken to maps and then (if it's to far) have to go back to the home screen start the original app. again.
    Flakeeeeegirly likes this.
    06-01-2009 03:01 PM
    To all the sheep that went on about all apps having a back button.... I've just been on the app store for the very first time and guess what? THERE IS NO EFFING BACK BUTTON. Lemmings....pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff fffffffffffffffff
    Last edited by Alli; 06-05-2011 at 08:18 AM.
    06-05-2011 02:26 AM
    To all the sheep that went on about all apps having a back button.... I've just been on the app store for the very first time and guess what? THERE IS NO EFFING BACK BUTTON. So my message to y'all is GO GET F..KED! Lemmings....pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff fffffffffffffffff
    hi welcome to the forum
    06-05-2011 02:30 AM

How about multi tasking? Just double click your home screen to between apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    06-05-2011 03:09 AM
    Every app does not have a back button! Every time I look up a restaurant and click "directions to" I get taken to maps and then (if it's to far) have to go back to the home screen start the original app. again.
    Just need to double click the home button and pick the app you were just in, which will be the first one on the bar.
    06-05-2011 06:16 AM
    Just need to double click the home button and pick the app you were just in, which will be the first one on the bar.
    this is what i do. works for me.

all the previous apps i used are all right there in the multi tasking bar.
    06-05-2011 10:02 AM
    Ehh idk about a back button. I like the simplicity of one actual button and the rest is touch screen so devs can put how ever many buttons they like in their apps.
    06-05-2011 11:05 AM
    No need to keep replying, the original post was from 2009 before multitasking came out. but the previous app was a great idea!
    06-05-2011 12:39 PM
    Yeah, to me a back button would be kind of counter-productive as the whole point was to not have buttons really. Every app I've ever had has a previous or back button built in to suit the app.
    Actually open up a link in email. Safari opens and then when your done you have to go to the home button and start over.

Bottom line not all dvelopers follow the guidline to build it in the app so there are definitely apps that do not provide it and scenarios where you are forced to do the home button and then go back in. That's why 40% of folks voted they would like it...

I got my wife an iphone as it seemed and is sold as the most user friendly yet she finds it very frustrating not to have such a button. I have a moto droid razr and have no such problems. (I am not an Iphone hater in fact Ilike a lot about them AND I would have gone w/iphone 4s but I get frustrated w/3G downloads and surfing and my 4G screams compared to here 3g Iphone). When the 5 comes out I may convert then depending upon how much I get married to the razr (do like the larger screen as well).
    Last edited by get2bill; 12-29-2011 at 09:25 AM. Reason: typos
    12-29-2011 09:23 AM
    I agree with no back button this sucks I miss my android phone
    05-19-2016 10:02 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD