Hey folks,

Im going to NYC in a few weeks and I dont wanna end up with a $900 roaming bill like I did last time.

I heard I can buy a prepaid SIM card in NYC that will give me a local NYC phone number with prepaid airtime that I can top up!

This is what I want to do, has anybody ever done this and does it work?
    Does my iPhone 3g need to be jailbroken?

thanks in a advance...
    05-31-2009 07:50 AM
    Do you live in the US? You shouldn't get roaming fees if you're on AT&T. You can travel anywhere in the US.
    05-31-2009 12:40 PM
    Do you live in the US? You shouldn't get roaming fees if you're on AT&T. You can travel anywhere in the US.
    Yeah, I thought all the US plans with at&t were nationwide. I remember like 3 or 4 years ago I had a local only plan, but I'm pretty sure it's not offered anymore...unless you have an old plan you never upgraded?
    05-31-2009 01:52 PM
    If he's on a iPhone it has to be on a nationwide plan. That's all that is offered for the iPhone.
    05-31-2009 01:56 PM
    Oops!, sorry.
    I live in Canada.
    05-31-2009 01:57 PM
    Not sure, but can't you just buy a Sim Card from most any AT&T store in the states? I think that you will be good to go then.
    05-31-2009 04:20 PM
    Not sure, but can't you just buy a Sim Card from most any AT&T store in the states? I think that you will be good to go then.
    Not unless you jailbreak and unlock the phone.
    05-31-2009 09:52 PM
    Not unless you jailbreak and unlock the phone.
    Correct. As far as I know, you can't unlock the iPhone and will just have to make sure that you turn your data off and that you talk to Roger's first to see what your charges will be.
    06-02-2009 09:48 PM
    I know that when I traveled to mexico I contacted AT&T and added mexico to my plan for $4.99 a month and then removed it when I returned home. so I only paid 4.99 and the phone calls were much cheaper than they would have been had I just been roaming.
    06-02-2009 11:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD