flash video in next gen iPhone?

icebike

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
We desperately need some minimal flash support in the next OS.

SO much of the web is built on that crappy flash engine that it is becoming increasingly difficult to do basic tasks on the web. The value of a web browser in your pocket diminishes daily as Flash creeps into more and more sites.

I'm pretty sure the sticking point is that Adobe steadfastly refuses to allow any client-side control of flash, leaving you at the mercy of all-singing-all-dancing web advertising which needlessly sucks up processor bandwidth. Apple is right to resist this nonsense, but some happy medium is needed.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Honestly I think the flash fade is starting to fade into where it should be. Also, with javascript, CSS, and soon html5 it gets easier to do things without using flash. I can live without it.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
I'm with both of you. Best solution is:

a) Adobe actually makes a non-bloated, relatively secure Flash engine for OS X -- with privacy-invading Flash cookies *easily* disabled via obvious switch.

b) Apple creates plugin that redirects to player, similar to QuickTime plugin or YouTube player, so it's nicely sandboxed and useful for video, but not the often unnecessary bloated web sites and punch the monkey adds.

Or, Adobe actually makes that "just right" player between Flash Lite and Flash (full desktop) that Jobs quipped was lacking...

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
I agree with Rene on option b.

That was the first thought of a solution when I first saw an article about the iPhone not having flash.

I think we should at least be able to have the ability to play .flv files.

I think the iPhone will need a better processor to have flash in safari while still making the experience just as enjoyable.

The iPhone dev team did say something about he iPhone hardware not being capable of having flash back in January.

I also think it's worth noting that Safari does slow down on pages that don't even have flash...