Kindle for iPhone app outshines the Kindle

Supes2000

Mar 17, 2006
Visit site
Hello my fellow iPhone lovers, its been a while since I have posted anything, but not much has been going on in my iPhone world that has not already been discussed to length already.

Recently however, I have had an itch to buy some kind of a tablet-like device that has a larger screen, web browsing and in a perfect world, a touch screen. Believe or not, there are times when the iPhone is too small when I am lounging around on a Sunday morning wanting nothing more than to read a book, news, or a simple recipe when I am cooking up dinner. A laptop will be too big and the iPhone too small, so what to do?

Not being able to find anything that fit the bill perfectly, I thought the Kindle might take care of the majority of needs and desires.

Based on its features, the Kindle would not just be an eReader, about also a simple web browser. I had done my research, read the reviews, and thought at length about my usage habits and what I really wanted. Still not being too sure though, I decided in the end to buy a less expensive 1st generation Kindle on eBay.

Now, mind you, I have been reading books on mobile devices since the days of the Palm V (still one of my first PDA loves), and I have been using the Kindle app on the iPhone which over the last few weeks which has become my main reader. This is followed by the free textoniphone web app. So the notion of reading books digitally was nothing new, in fact, I have a deeper comfort reading on a device than picking up a book (weird, maybe).

So I received the Kindle, and I have to say the unboxing was very Apple-like, good start. (I think Jeff Bezos wants to be the next Steve Jobs.) I charged up the unit, loaded my books and started to read away.

Very quickly however, I found myself, disliking the e-ink screen screen and the UI was awful and clunky. And the button design was the pain that everyone said it would be; I kept hitting the next page button just trying to hold the device while reading.

Now the Kindles E-ink technology has its benefits, but there is something to be said about a backlit PDA screen and my personal conditioning. What I mean is, that I am used to reading with a backlit screen so the issue of eyestrain has never been a problem for me, Therefore, when I read non backlit screens like the Kindle and ?real? books, they all seem too dim and dark, which then creates eye strain when you?re not used to it.

As for browsing the web, what a hassle (putting it lightly). From the clunky interface to poor design and button placement, I got so frustrated with the ?next page? button, and being sent back to my google reader log in page, only to have to re-enter all of the log in information all over again. I simply gave up.

Enter the iPhone Kindle app and the iPhone. Beautiful web browsing, fast, seamless and I can read my feeds without issue. The Kindle app has made some massive improvements recently including background choices, landscape reading and a cool feature that Apple should run with, and thats a lock feature that allows you to lock the display in portrait or landscape mode, disabling the accelerometer. So just after a few days, I will be selling my Kindle for 3 reasons:

• No backlit screen - I actually prefer it.
  • Terrible web surfing interface - I can't even stomach it.
  • Too costly a device for what ultimately boils down to nothing more than a larger screen.

So I have made my decision to stick with the iPhone for my reading needs, and get over the smallish screen for now, I will continue and hope for an Apple tablet device soon.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Although the Kindle does perform some of what you are looking for, the main aim of the device is to be an ereader. All of the other functions are contained in the "Experimental" features for a reason. They are secondary purposes of the device. While I use the Kindle app for my iPhone, I do prefer reading on the Kindle (I own a 1st gen and 2nd gen). I know people are divided by this, but I actually prefer reading on the non-backlit screen. I am accustomed to reading on a plane with a booklight clipped on to the book (which also clips on nicely to my Kindle 2). Also, I realized that the drain on the battery would almost make the Kindle less useful for me.

While I cannot sway you to keep your Kindle, if you are looking for primarily an ereader, I urge you to give the Kindle another shot. It does take a while to become accustomed to the E-Ink display, but in the long run I believe that those who enjoy reading will also enjoy reading on a Kindle. However, if you are looking for the other features to play a prominent role in your usage, then the iPhone is definitely the way to go.

Supes2000

Mar 17, 2006
Visit site
Although the Kindle does perform some of what you are looking for, the main aim of the device is to be an ereader. All of the other functions are contained in the "Experimental" features for a reason. They are secondary purposes of the device. While I use the Kindle app for my iPhone, I do prefer reading on the Kindle (I own a 1st gen and 2nd gen). I know people are divided by this, but I actually prefer reading on the non-backlit screen. I am accustomed to reading on a plane with a booklight clipped on to the book (which also clips on nicely to my Kindle 2). Also, I realized that the drain on the battery would almost make the Kindle less useful for me.

While I cannot sway you to keep your Kindle, if you are looking for primarily an ereader, I urge you to give the Kindle another shot. It does take a while to become accustomed to the E-Ink display, but in the long run I believe that those who enjoy reading will also enjoy reading on a Kindle. However, if you are looking for the other features to play a prominent role in your usage, then the iPhone is definitely the way to go.

Don't misunderstand me, I agree that the Kindle's main purpose is a reader, but I can't justify the cost considering the other features I am looking for, ie. web access, either don't exist or . The next version may sway me, and I will continue to keep an open mind, thanks Jamesus.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Don't misunderstand me, I agree that the Kindle's main purpose is a reader, but I can't justify the cost considering the other features I am looking for, ie. web access, either don't exist or . The next version may sway me, and I will continue to keep an open mind, thanks Jamesus.

I totally agree with you. What you are looking for the Kindle doesn't deliver.

As a weekly traveler for work and heavy reader, the cost of the kindle far outweighs carrying books (pun intended) around from airport to airport! ;)

cr105

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I love my Kindle, but I am also one of those people that loves "the feel" of books. I have the 1st generation Kindle and for me it is the perfect size. I don't have the Kindle app for my iphone, I used to read books on my Palm pilot, it was just too small. I don't want to try and read on my iphone, it's just too small.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I have both the Kindle App and the eReader App. I love both! I got hooked on reading ebooks with my old Palm T5. Never liked reading with my Treo, too small, but the T5 and now the iPhone are very nice for me. I love the fact that you have a built in "night lite".:D

I still read some "real" books but most of my reading these days is done on my iPhone. I even have my Study Bible on my iPhone. I usually only take my iPhone to mid-week Bible classes instead of my regular Bible. I have to be sure to put into Airplane Mode or people will think that I am texting during Services.:p

dooks88

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I use and enjoy the Kindle app too. I would love to buy a kindle, but not at the current price. I know the price includes a lifetime of data, but it is still too much for me. They should cut the price in half, then tack an additional $1 to each book for data costs.

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
I personally think the Stanza app out shines the Kindle app and the iPhone 3G out shines the Kindle itself!

athynz

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
I have both the Kindle and Stanza apps on my iPhone 3G and I don't have a real preference to either. I have to admit having that app makes me less inclined to purchase a kindle unless they drop the prices.

SuperTrouper

Jun 1, 2009
www.twitter.com
I'm a big fan of Stanza personally. I have an extensive collection of ebooks on my computers at home that I can't live without having on the move.

I think the iPhone's screen is great for reading on, especially when you can customise how it looks.

I don't think you can load your own ebooks to the kindle app can you?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73