help with 2g/3g iphone which one?

blaze98

May 26, 2009
Visit site
$499? thats insane!!! $5 isnt bad but i go thru 200 txts in a week and thats a minimum...if i already have service ( my phone i have now) and the line is already activated cant i just take the sim card out and put it in the used 2g and it work and i wont have to activate it (again)with at&t?

thats why i wanted to know if i use my account i already have and my unlimited txting i already have will this work without having to take it to at&t and get a data plan(which i dont want to use) all i want to use is wi-fi on it

Last edited:

GMJeff

May 3, 2009
Visit site
You can change the sim card, but you will still need to activate the phone itself.

From what I have read on here, once it is plugged in and iTunes recognizes it, it will require you to go through the activation process. The activation process will automatically set you up with a data plan. If you take it in to an AT&T store, they will do the same.

If there is a work around to activation, I am not sure, as it is required to get the phone to work on the network.

blaze98

May 26, 2009
Visit site
so no matter what you are going to have a $100+ cell phone bill? and there is no way to cancel the data plan within the first month? when i got my first smartphone i got a discount if i got the data plan and the guy told me i could cancel it the next month and it was fine... i just think its wrong to have the used phone you have to activate it and get a data plan even if your gonna use only the phone/txt/and wi-fi....

is it like this if i jailbreak it and take it to sprint or verizon or Tmobile?

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
So i have to buy the data plan if i get a new iphone? even if i will not use it? if this is true it makes more sense for me to buy a used 2g or 3g when the 3rd gen comes out. I just want to make sure im understanding this.... if i get a new one i HAVE to get the Data plan even if i wont use it? i only plan on useing the normal phone service and txting ( i have the unlimited txting now) and use the wi-fi to check my gmail and stuff at work... and if the 2 g will still do normal txting (without pics) thats all i use now. i havent ever sent txt with pics on my phone. i appreciate all the imput, since i have told you more along the lines of what im going to be useing the iphone for (phone/ipod/wi-fi/normal txting) does it make sense to get a 2g phone untill they lower the price of the data package? i think the data package should include txting.

if i were to get a new 3g phone, i would get it for 200 bucks,+ activation fees+ normal phone service bill ($60) and a additional $30 plan for 3g that i will not use? and the $30 data lan does not cover txting right? if not its another 15$ for txting... please tell me if im wrong..
Yes you MUST get the date plan because everything on the iphone uses internet mostly.

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
$499? thats insane!!! $5 isnt bad but i go thru 200 txts in a week and thats a minimum...if i already have service ( my phone i have now) and the line is already activated cant i just take the sim card out and put it in the used 2g and it work and i wont have to activate it (again)with at&t?

thats why i wanted to know if i use my account i already have and my unlimited txting i already have will this work without having to take it to at&t and get a data plan(which i dont want to use) all i want to use is wi-fi on it

AT&T will not if you are using a iphone and will probably add the date plan and for the texting please read my post on text messaging plans. http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/iphone-help/172016-t-family-unlimited-text-plan.html

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Be aware that even if you jailbreak your iPhone, you cannot take it to Sprint or Verizon as they are CDMA carriers, and the iPhone is a GSM device.

Different technologies that are not interchangeable.

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
AT&T iPhone Plans!

Here are the at&t iPhone plans family talk and nation talk make sure you read my other post about family text messaging!

blaze98

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys!!! sorry i wasnt trying to be a pain in the @$$ just trying to get my facts straight you know... i have been told so many different things from different people its nice to get some straight answers for once!! sorry if i agrivated anyone!

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys!!! sorry i wasnt trying to be a pain in the @$$ just trying to get my facts straight you know... i have been told so many different things from different people its nice to get some straight answers for once!! sorry if i agrivated anyone!

Thats what we are here for please PM me if any more question or on aim 24/7.

blaze98

May 26, 2009
Visit site
it wouldnt have been that bad if it was just me but if i do that my bill is going to be something like 170 a month with my line my wifes and the other 2 lines on my account

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Yea mine is $200 with two iPhones and it's a that much becuase I gotta pay $10 more because it will not mms with family text so I have unlimited iPhone text for 2 phones = $40

Last edited:

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
it wouldnt have been that bad if it was just me but if i do that my bill is going to be something like 170 a month with my line my wifes and the other 2 lines on my account

Um? $170 for an iPhone and 3 phones doesn't sound like a bad deal to me at all. You get family text for all lines for just $30 so that makes it less than $10 a phone for unlimited text.

Yea mine is $200 with two iPhones and it's a that much becuase I gotta pay $10 more because it will not mms with family text so I have unlimited iPhone text for 2 phones = $40
I would rather not get those viewmypics.com SMS and save $10, but to each their own.

blaze98

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Um? $170 for an iPhone and 3 phones doesn't sound like a bad deal to me at all. You get family text for all lines for just $30 so that makes it less than $10 a phone for unlimited text.

I would rather not get those viewmypics.com SMS and save $10, but to each their own.

yes but when you have a wife, 2 children, a house, cars, and other obligations along with being in a profession that is very up and down rigt now, 170 does not make any sense to me.. the unlimited txting im fine with cause all i do is normal txting i dont need the MMS stuff, thats why i dont understand why i have to have a damn DATA plan when im not going ot be useing it at all

Last edited:

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
thats why i dont understand why i have to have a damn DATA plan when im not going ot be useing it at all

The simply answer is the phone cost like $799 and you are only paying $299 on a 2 year contract and the only way for ATT to stay in business is to make that money back on the data plan. I guess they don't want to complicate things by saying if you buy it outright then you don't have to get the data plan.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
That's what we are here for...to help! :)
You really won't mind the data plan on the iPhone once you have it b/c that is the best part of having the phone.
I agree completely. While this is a great phone, the internet experience is what really sets it apart from other smartphones...

blaze98

May 26, 2009
Visit site
The simply answer is the phone cost like $799 and you are only paying $299 on a 2 year contract and the only way for ATT to stay in business is to make that money back on the data plan. I guess they don't want to complicate things by saying if you buy it outright then you don't have to get the data plan.

yeah i see what your sayin. it makes sense just wish it was a lil bit more reasonable. i know at&t has a mark up on the phones. but i see your point and i agree with you. I found out that i have a phone line that we have been paying for and not useing that is comming up on 2 years renewal ( we got the phone for a friend and he lost it and screwed us over and would not/could not pay the cancel fee so we have been paying $10 a month for it.)

I thought about selling my LG phone and takein the money and canceling my line i have now. and then take over the other line and re up it with a iphone. if i re up with them would i still get the $200 iphone price for the 8 gig for the 2 year renewal or is that only for new customers?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal