Is it just me or does the iPhone recognize other iPhones? Anytime I've added an iPhone contact and instead of defaulting to mobile, it shows 'iPhone'

Is this the case for anyone else? Or is this 3.0 related?
    05-24-2009 03:24 AM
    I'm not running 3.0 and I just looked at my contacts and I don't even have an iPhone option. Just say mobile work home etc. It's pretty cool if 3.0 can recognize these other iPhones.
    05-24-2009 07:46 AM
    Odd. I have 3.0 and I don't see an iPhone option. I also have at least one current contact with an iPhone, and it's still just showing him as "mobile."

Did your iPhone contacts just suddenly change to iPhone or did you recently edit them?
    05-24-2009 09:48 AM
    Wow mine doesn't do that. I would be nice if it would.
    05-24-2009 10:36 AM
    I have an iPhone option, but I'm not getting it to default to that. I've created new contacts with numbers that I know are iPhones and it still defaults to mobile. I've even deleted the numbers of stored iPhone contacts, went to my recent list, and added them from there... still defaulted to mobile. But there IS an option to select iPhone.
    05-24-2009 12:44 PM
    Geeky cool - can you attach a screenshot?
    05-24-2009 01:58 PM
    Geeky cool - can you attach a screenshot?
    Here it is as an option
    05-24-2009 02:07 PM
    Awesome. That's odd that on the same beta release we've all had such different things.
    05-24-2009 04:25 PM
    I realized what it may be... adding from an sms. Have someone send you a msg that isn't in your contacts and then add them.

I'm guessing it's 3.0 specific.
    05-24-2009 05:00 PM
    Hrmm...that's actually how I added the number I have for the contact I've got with an iPhone...but it doesn't show as iPhone. Maybe the other person has to have 3.0 as well?
    05-24-2009 06:45 PM
    It could be a difference in the beta build you are using, also.
    05-25-2009 01:46 AM
    Except that everyone is on the same beta build as all prior betas have now expired.
    05-25-2009 10:04 AM
    Except that everyone is on the same beta build as all prior betas have now expired.
    I was actually on beta 4, it expired Friday or Saturday for me and just upgraded to beta 5. I was trying to keep my MMS as long as possible.
    05-25-2009 12:54 PM
    Ok, so do you still see an iPhone choice with beta 5?
    05-25-2009 02:11 PM
    Ok, so do you still see an iPhone choice with beta 5?
    I'm on beta 5.

I tried the add via text message thing and it still didn't default to iPhone. But my method is deleting the phone numbers from contacts, then re-adding them. Maybe if it is truly a "new" number, it'll default?
    05-25-2009 02:16 PM
    I don't have that option, but I'm using exchange so it limits a lot of things with the contacts.
    05-25-2009 06:07 PM
    I'm on beta 5.

I tried the add via text message thing and it still didn't default to iPhone. But my method is deleting the phone numbers from contacts, then re-adding them. Maybe if it is truly a "new" number, it'll default?
    That is what I was thinking. A friend had T-mobile and then got a new iPhone on AT&T (after a lot of taunting from me). She messages me and I decided to add her new number to "existing" and then deleted the other number that was listed as mobile. This is when it defaulted to iPhone for me.
    05-25-2009 06:14 PM
    That is what I was thinking. A friend had T-mobile and then got a new iPhone on AT&T (after a lot of taunting from me). She messages me and I decided to add her new number to "existing" and then deleted the other number that was listed as mobile. This is when it defaulted to iPhone for me.
    After writing this, this may have something to do with iPhone being able to recognize other iPhones for gaming and such -- peer to peer connectivity.
    05-25-2009 06:14 PM
    I don't have that option, but I'm using exchange so it limits a lot of things with the contacts.
    I'll bet that's it. I sync to Google.
    05-25-2009 08:13 PM
    Ok, Alli and I decided to investigate and I've reached a conclusion, well kinda. Alli's phone still isn't showing iPhone as an option on her list, so I don't know what's up with that. Probably has something to do with exchange?

The iPhone does NOT recognize other iPhones, it's simply defaulting to the next unused label in the list. 3.0 seems to have added iPhone as the 2nd option on the list (for some). So if you already have a mobile number stored for someone, then the next choice is "iPhone". I played around with adding to different contats with different types of numbers stored, and it always chose the first unused label on the list.

Not nearly as cool, I know.

So now the question is why don't all iPhones on 3.0 beta have iPhone listed as an option?
    05-25-2009 08:56 PM
    And the only thing I have to add to that now is "thank goodness for unlimited text messages!" LOL!
    05-25-2009 09:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD