Hello everyone-

I've owned my iPhone for a little over a month now, and today I decided I should implement the Passcode Lock feature due to the ever-growing amount of personal data on my iPhone.

In the Passcode Lock settings, there is a feature called "Erase Data." It states that it will erase "all data" on the iPhone after 10 failed passcode attempts.

Does anybody happen to know the scope of what they mean by "all data"?

In other words, is it only data for the native apps -- like contacts and calendar? Or, is it truly ALL data, including data saved in 3rd party apps?

I would like it to delete ALL data, including such apps as Toodledo and Evernote (the "favorite" notes in Evernote are stored locally).

Anybody know?

Thanks in advance.
    05-05-2009 05:51 PM
    I would think that it erases all data (including apps). I have this enabled on my iPhone, but I haven't tested this out yet.
    05-05-2009 06:03 PM
    Yeah, I hope that's the way it works.

If anyone has confirmed this, please let me know.

Thank you.
    05-05-2009 06:09 PM
    Well i am not going to enable it people purposely mess with my code just to lock me out for 15 minutes dont want them deleting all my st0ff
    05-05-2009 06:49 PM
    I have it enabled on mine, and yes it will erase the phone and it will have nothing on it. It will be like it was just bought, I tested it out cause I wanted to know how it worked.
    05-05-2009 07:01 PM
    I have it enabled on mine, and yes it will erase the phone and it will have nothing on it. It will be like it was just bought, I tested it out cause I wanted to know how it worked.
    Perfect! That's just what I wanted to hear.

Thank you.
    05-05-2009 07:06 PM
    Glad I could help.
    05-05-2009 07:28 PM
    There is also a jailbreak app that allows one to send a SMS to erase data in the event that one's phone is stolen. It's among the featured apps in Cydia. I have not tested it myself.
    05-06-2009 03:25 PM
    interesting, i was always curious to what extent this worked. I had hoped that it would also brick the phone so it needed to taken to an apple store to work again. even though i know the main goal is to have the personal and private data removed, but its like give that thief a new iPhone.. not cool! i hope the "find my iphone" is promising!
    05-11-2009 01:27 AM
    I was curious if anyone knew what kind of "wipe" the iPhone does? Simply deleting the content won't actually erase the data, only make it look empty. A person could jailbreak your phone, and using forensic tools, can unerase your data. Unless the iphone "wipe" actually replaces your data with garbage, your data is comprimised.
    10-26-2009 12:45 PM
    What would be cool is a program that would wipe the phone and then put it in a passcode lock mode. Once the wrong code is entered three times a high pitched whine would emit until the right code is put in LOL
    10-26-2009 01:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD