The first gen iPhone's data was $20 w/ 200 text.
    The current gen is $30 no text.

Do you think the new gen's data will raise? Or add a little something extra?

Let me know what you think in the comments below!
    04-29-2009 02:57 PM
    I am truly hoping that the prices stay the same, and that the new iPhone is priced at the same level as the 3G (i.e. $199.00 - $299.00) and that it has all kinds of neat features accessible at the current plan rates.
    04-29-2009 03:09 PM
    I am truly hoping that the prices stay the same, and that the new iPhone is priced at the same level as the 3G (i.e. $199.00 - $299.00) and that it has all kinds of neat features accessible at the current plan rates.
    I sort of feel that the new iPhone will be $149 or even $99! I have a gut feeling about it, that they want to make the device super cheap so that everyone can afford it, but they're going to raise the data a little bit.
    I hope the data stays the same too!
    04-29-2009 03:17 PM
    They can't really raise the rate since it's still 3G, but they could if they get the speed bumped from 3.0 to 7.2 or whatever. Although, I usually only get 1.5 so if they charged me more for 7.2 and I only got 3.0 I would be pretty pissed off.
    04-29-2009 03:33 PM
    The data rate right now is in line with other smart phones. I don't think they will raise that beyond the rates for other smartphones.
    04-29-2009 05:04 PM
    I do not believe that the rates will go up for a couple of reasons:

1) Price competitiveness
    2) AT&T will not charge more for txt/mms for the iPhone than they will for other phones they have; that would not be fair to their customers.

Because of these two reasons, I feel that we can sit relatively comfortably with AT&Ts pricing. That is not to say, of course, they AT&T could restructure their pricing at any time.
    04-29-2009 09:40 PM
    You will more than likely end up seeing cheaper prices with different iPhone data plans as well as the normal $30 unlimited. At least that would be the smart thing to do and I heard rumblings about that happening. We shall see.
    Last edited by Jeremy Sikora; 04-30-2009 at 10:05 AM.
    04-30-2009 09:50 AM
    You will more than likely end up seeing cheaper prices with different iPhone data plans as well as the normal $30 unlimited. At least that would be that smart thing to do and I heard rumblings about that happening. We shall see.
    I remember hearing rumors of this, but for some reason I just don't see the benefit for them. Right now the iPhone plane is very streamlined, much like the iPhone platform itself which makes it easier to manage. Also, ATT loses a lot of money, like $400-500, up front with every iPhone purchased. The only way it makes sense for them is to get the average $85-$100 monthly bill vs the non iPhone user which is like half of that.

Although, Apple having the upper hand in the relationship could put pressure on ATT to make the iPhone more available. It's possible ATT would do this in exchange for extending their exclusive for another year or 2.
    04-30-2009 10:03 AM
    I'm okay with $30 data. I just wish they'd offer a lower talk plan than 450 minutes.
    04-30-2009 02:55 PM
    But wonder if the new OS will be as good as promised..
    04-30-2009 04:26 PM
    I bet the data plans stay the same. I would think Apple/At&t want to stay competive and not price themselves out.
    04-30-2009 05:41 PM
    I bet the data plans stay the same. I would think Apple/At&t want to stay competive and not price themselves out.
    Yeah I think so too. It's crazy though, when the first iPhone came out data was $20, while Blackberry data was $30. I wish the data was $25 just a little bit more to get everyone to drop theirs down a bit.

For example, $30 data for a Blackberry Pearl? Data prices (on some devices) need to go down a bit.
    04-30-2009 09:23 PM
    Did you know there is no unlimited data international plan for iPhone? I've heard you can get one for $40 for the blackberry, that's kind of crappy.
    05-01-2009 12:04 AM
    I'm okay with $30 data. I just wish they'd offer a lower talk plan than 450 minutes.
    Same here. It would definitely make our phone bill cheaper. I don't talk that much either.
    05-01-2009 11:09 AM
    Same here! My husband and I share the lowest amount of minutes available and we're always maxed out on rollover minutes. I don't like talking on the phone, lol. I'm one of those people who will ignore your call, then text you back
    05-01-2009 11:39 AM
    Same here. It would definitely make our phone bill cheaper. I don't talk that much either.
    Actually, it's not even an affordability issue with me. I'd still pay AT&T $75.00 a month for 300 minutes if I could receive 50-100 texts from people without being charged. Right now, I have over 2,000 rollover minutes that I'll never use and are a big waste, but if someone texts me, it cost me 20. I'm not a texter, but I'm tired of telling everyone not to text me because I'll be ripped off.

As for minutes, I have a big pet peeve about phone calls exceeding a few minutes. I can't stand gabbing. Say what you have to say and end it. I could easily manage a hundred calls per month with only 300 minutes.
    05-01-2009 03:44 PM
    Actually, it's not even an affordability issue with me. I'd still pay AT&T $75.00 a month for 300 minutes if I could receive 50-100 texts from people without being charged. Right now, I have over 2,000 rollover minutes that I'll never use and are a big waste, but if someone texts me, it cost me 20. I'm not a texter, but I'm tired of telling everyone not to text me because I'll be ripped off.

As for minutes, I have a big pet peeve about phone calls exceeding a few minutes. I can't stand gabbing. Say what you have to say and end it. I could easily manage a hundred calls per month with only 300 minutes.
    Exactly, I don't like to talk much either. <--- See,
    Just kidding, ya I know what you mean. There should be better voice/text plans.
    05-01-2009 08:24 PM
    They can't really raise the rate since it's still 3G, but they could if they get the speed bumped from 3.0 to 7.2 or whatever. Although, I usually only get 1.5 so if they charged me more for 7.2 and I only got 3.0 I would be pretty pissed off.
    HAHAHA! I complained the other day that I am being charged for 3G data rates in Fairbanks, AK and there is no 3G available anywhere in the state. They ought to have special plans for that. At least Edge works pretty well.
    05-01-2009 10:21 PM
    It was changed to $30 because it was now being seen as a PDA device by AT&T... GPS & 3G.

PDA/Smartphones are $30/mo and was pricing them the same. Either way, I pay 50% off my data plans
    05-01-2009 11:03 PM
    I'm locked into Rogers for $30/6GB for 3 years, so while I'd have to pay to break that on my end, they're locked into it on theirs as well
    05-03-2009 11:24 AM
    I hope it's less.
    05-04-2009 11:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD