Returning To The States

PirateNinja

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
so im currently deployed here in iraq, and im due back to the states in the end of June. my wife and i purchased our iPhones about a week ago and she shipped mine to me out here. when i recieve my iPhone im assuming the simcard wont be already installed. ive never had a cell phone that required a simcard. so my question is when i return back to the states, all i have to do is place my simcard into my iPhone and ill be good to go to make calls and use all the phones features back in the states? no need for any activation or software updates i need to worry about? besides the 3.0 software update due by the time i get back

or would i also be able to install the simcard once i get the phone and just disable all the phone features till i get back? (calling, data, email, etc . . . ) just to save me from occuring any unwanted charges

combatdoc

Dec 13, 2008
www.ffpblog.com
I have now been back and forth from Iraq with my iPhone. AT&T installed my sim and activated the iPhone here. That's the only way to get any use out of it other than 911 as it has to Activate on the network (w/o that you can't even access the home screen). Also when you first plug it in to iTunes it will activate and update the firmware if needed.

You *should* be able to plug it in there in Iraq and it will activate/update over itunes as long as you have an internet connection on your laptop (MWR, HajiNet, Sniper Hills, etc) and AT&T has not suspended your account (Deployed soliders can suspend their accounts thereby saving the monthly fee while deployed). Then when you return to the US it will work as soon as you turn it on.

You really do want it activated before you receive it. There is a mode in settings called "Airplane Mode" which turns off the phone and other transmitters (wifi, et al). You can re-enable wifi by turning it back on from the toggle in settings without turning the phone back on. This will give you what basically amounts to an ipod Touch. You can access your ipod, apps, etc on the iphone without having to worry about unintentional phone/data connections (its 2.35/min for phone in Iraq BTW).

When you touch foot on US soil, just flip the Airplane mode off, give it a sec to connect to the network and you are good.

Should the phone come not activated, when you touch US soil call the AT&T service center (I had my wife do this since she had the account #, etc) and it will take about 5 minutes to "turn the phone on." Most of that is just waiting on the network to find the phone and activate it again. I literally did this sitting in the Dallas USO talking to my wife via Yahoo IM. She called AT&T and about a minute after setting up the account over the phone (i needed a new plan), my phone was active, my number turned back on, and data was available. It was pretty painless. Just make sure the phone is charged..lol

Anyway, if you want to talk to me further just hit me up. Preferably via the contact page at the URL below as I don't get much chance to check the forums anymore since net is so slow in Iraq.

PirateNinja

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
thank you for the quick reply SGT. from what my wife told me the AT&T rep said that all i would have to do is to install the simcard when the phone arrives and to be sure i put it in airplane mode. and like you said that when i get it to use my wifi to access itunes and the apps page. i already do have an active AT&T number and account, so im assuming im good to go when i get back to the states correct?

combatdoc

Dec 13, 2008
www.ffpblog.com
If the iPhone account is active already, you plug in the sim, power up the iPhone and see if it connects. If you can get to the desktop you are good. If not, try iTunes (which you should do anyway to update the firmware) and see if that finishes the activation. If not, you'll have to wait till you hit US soil.

I don't know if the phone will activate in Iraq if the carrier is AT&T since you won't be on any AT&T Towers. If it is activated it will work around Baghdad, that I do know.

However, if the sim you receive is activated, you should be able to plug it in, turn it on and be good. Just switch to airplane mode in country.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Why not just have your wife activate it before she ships it to you? Then put it in air plane mode so it is all ready to go.

PirateNinja

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
my wife just told me that it should already be activated, and it should be here in the next 5days or so. yeah i plan on doing just that when i get it.

so my next step when i get it is to get to a wifi connection and see if i can get into itunes and update any firmware?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR