Will apple allow me to trade my 3g for the 3.0 when it comes out?

Santa's helper

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Hello I am getting an Iphone 3g on May 9th. I am very excited.
I have heard that the Iphone "3.0" will be coming out in June. It's rumored to have a quad core processor. My question is that if I get my 3g in may will Apple let me trade up for the newest one? (if it does come out then.)

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
I don't know the answer to your question, but I wanted to clarify some terms with you (to avoid confusion):

1)"3.0" is not the hardware upgrade; it's the summer-targeted iPhone software update that will be available for the iPhone 3G and the original iPhone 2G (with a few exceptions) - I don't remember if 3.0 is available for the Touch. 3.0 will allow (among other things) copy/paste, MMS, turn by turn voice-guided GPS, push notification, etc.

2) The rumored new iPhone may also arrive this summer. If it arrives, it will be the third-generation iPhone--don't know much more than that since it's all still just rumor and speculation.

If there really is new hardware on the way, I will probably be in line to buy it, but personally, I think that it's 3.0 that really is the most exciting news of all.

Last edited:

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
The answer is maybe. They did it last time up until about a month before the new one came out. So if you get it May 9th and they release it in late June there might be a chance.

There is no way to tell if they will offer the same deal this time, but I have a feeling they will due to pressure from Apple.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I would say since you aren't getting one until May anyways, why don't you just wait another 4-5 weeks and see what's announced, then make a decision.

ericUT

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
I don't think Apple is the one you have to count on. I would think AT&T would be the ones do decide who gets upgrade credit and who doesn't. I'm gonna go ahead and assume that if you renew your contract with AT&T and get the subsidized price for the 3G, they won't let you upgrade again for at least 18-21 months. I would probably wait if you can, however, I just can't imagine any groundbreaking features that could be including that you couldn't get by with the 3G. Things like wireless N and 3.75G won't be in wide enough use to affect your day to day experience until you're ready for another upgrade. Even the quadcore rumor sounds unlikely given the concern over battery life and the fact that the entire OS would have to be rewritten, which would certainly be revealed by Apple to give devs enough time to rewrite and test applications.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I don't think Apple is the one you have to count on. I would think AT&T would be the ones do decide who gets upgrade credit and who doesn't. I'm gonna go ahead and assume that if you renew your contract with AT&T and get the subsidized price for the 3G, they won't let you upgrade again for at least 18-21 months. I would probably wait if you can, however, I just can't imagine any groundbreaking features that could be including that you couldn't get by with the 3G. Things like wireless N and 3.75G won't be in wide enough use to affect your day to day experience until you're ready for another upgrade. Even the quadcore rumor sounds unlikely given the concern over battery life and the fact that the entire OS would have to be rewritten, which would certainly be revealed by Apple to give devs enough time to rewrite and test applications.

You are partially correct about AT&T, but regardless, some people are allowed to upgrade earlier.

Your upgrade eligibility is based on a lot of factors such as tenure, how much you're spending, bill payments being on time, etc...

If you have a line that has more than 98$ in charges a month, you are eligible every 12 months. It really just depends on each individual account.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I would be more likely to get a new one if they did the trade-in, but it would have to be worth the money(not just more memory, etc..)

GMJeff

May 3, 2009
Visit site
I believe AT&T had a early upgrade program implemented, if I remember right, where they were allowing people to purchase the iPhone without being eligible for an upgrade, for a fee. Almost like a small ETF for the existing line that was upgraded.

There is no reason that AT&T won't offer it again, as it helped/will help their quarterly sales amounts, by allowing more iPhones to be sold.

Ghecko

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Hello I am getting an Iphone 3g on May 9th. I am very excited.
I have heard that the Iphone "3.0" will be coming out in June. It's rumored to have a quad core processor. My question is that if I get my 3g in may will Apple let me trade up for the newest one? (if it does come out then.)

My home button does not ever work i have to re-boot my iphone just to get back to the home screen and out of apps etc... i am going to wait it out, and go in once the new phone comes out and see if they will give me a new iphone instead of another 3g

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
My home button does not ever work i have to re-boot my iphone just to get back to the home screen and out of apps etc... i am going to wait it out, and go in once the new phone comes out and see if they will give me a new iphone instead of another 3g

Yeah good luck with that. They aren't going to let you give them your old 3G and them give you a new model.

Are you serious??

If you want the new iPhone, you'll have to sign a new contract and pay the pricing that's available when it's released, just like everyone else.

If your phone is defective, they'll swap it out for the exact same phone, that's what you're going to get.

Thndrct619

May 8, 2009
Visit site
I know it's hard for you to do, but I would suggest waiting if you want a new iPhone. I spent alot of time on the phones trying to get an early upgrade from AT&T and still ended up having to wait.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2