So sitting here watching the counter crawl toward 1 billion I was thinking exactly what are the full rules for the contest. I thought it was random drawing since they say you can enter 25 times a day by downloading an app. After reading I found this;

Sweepstakes. Sponsor is the sole judging organization whose decisions as to the operation of the Sweepstakes and the selection of the potential winner are final and binding in all matters related to the Promotion. The prize will be awarded for the entry (either through an app download or through the non-purchase online entry) sent immediately following the download of the 999,999,999th app. The potential winner will be determined by the order of the entries received. In the event that more than one entrant would be a winner based on the simultaneous timing of entries, one entrant will be randomly selected from those entrants as the winner. Each entrants chances of winning are dependent upon the number of eligible entries received.

Am I reading that right? How could you enter 25 times a day if the prize is "awarded for the entry sent immediately following the dowload of the 999,999,999th app."

It's not a big deal but it's kinda lame if it was all just a ploy to get DL's moving to hit the milestone faster.
    04-23-2009 04:16 PM
    I know that there was a chance to win by filling out a form. You didn't actually need to download an app to be qualified to win.
    04-23-2009 04:26 PM
    I know there is the form you can fill out, but I don't see why you can't just dl any free app instead. "The prize will be awarded for the entry (either through an app download or through the non-purchase online entry) sent immediately following the download of the 999,999,999th app." So you really only win for being the 1 billionth app downloader.

Why then are you limted to 25 entries per day, there is only one chance to win.
    04-23-2009 04:41 PM
    If you keep reading the rules, you'll see this

In the event that a potential winner is disqualified for any reason, Sponsor may award the applicable prize to an alternate winner by random drawing from among all remaining eligible entries.
    I believe this is the situation in which having 25 entries per day will benifit
    04-23-2009 09:49 PM
    Damn lawyers and their technical mumbo jumbo.

In any case, a 13 year old won.

Apple’s Revolutionary App Store Downloads Top One Billion in Just Nine Months

What's the tax rate on a $10k iTunes card?
    04-24-2009 09:59 AM
    yes, this was very misleading. I downloaded 100 free apps for this. Oh well, time to delete.
    04-24-2009 10:13 AM
    Same here...trying some new free ones and deleting the rest.
    04-24-2009 10:21 AM
    Glad I wasn't the only one going on a download bonaza. I did find a few neat keepers though, still going through them to clean up my app library.
    04-24-2009 11:08 AM
    I downloaded 100 free apps for this.
    Same here...trying some new free ones and deleting the rest.
    Glad I wasn't the only one going on a download bonaza.
    Well, that explains why the counter was going so fast.
    04-24-2009 01:32 PM
    Is that even legal for a 13 year old kid to win???
    04-24-2009 02:30 PM
    Is that even legal for a 13 year old kid to win???
    Yes, and it was in the rules 13 and above.
    04-24-2009 06:03 PM
    I think Apple made this contest misleading on purpose. It accelerated the time to a billion apps.
    04-25-2009 11:02 AM
    I think the kid that won is really popular with his friends right about now!
    04-26-2009 10:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD