One of the things that keeps getting mentioned is a better notification system for the iPhone... and that the Pre has nailed it right. In my opinion one of the big things about why the Pre has nailed it is because the Pre can multitask and let you go back and forth between running applications when interrupted by a notification.

So, what do you think can be done to improve Apple's notifications since it isn't a multitasking device?
    04-17-2009 11:00 AM
    The included Apple apps can and do run in the background; phone, mail, sms, iPod, safari. So you can be working in a 3rd party app and still take calls, get emails, get texts, play music. Most apps will take you back where you left off if you leave them to take a call etc.

I think the push service will be fine and will evolve over time. And while the Pre looks like it's handling those cards and multi-tasking very well in the short videos you see online I'd be willing to wager that after a short time (a few days use) it will be just like every other BB and WinMo phone I've ever picked up; it will start to drag and hang when doing things which will require diligant memory management or restarts. Even the iPhone needs a restart from time to time and starts to drag, without background 3rd party apps.

TBH I have no problems with the way the iPhone works right now, push notifications will make messengers much better. But I don't need to have facebook, browser, email, AIM, all open while I play a game or am reading RSS feeds. Even a desktop computer can get bogged down with a bunch of things open while working; expect it to be an issue with mobile devices for awhile.
    04-17-2009 11:13 AM
    I don't think it has much to do with multitasking as it does with the actual way the notifications are displayed. Something along the lines of Android or the Pre where they pop up on the very top or bottom of the screen is what I want to see.
    04-17-2009 11:31 AM
    I'm not a fan of getting kicked out of an app if I want to answer a notification and then not being able to get back to it at the same spot. It's happened on a few 3rd party apps and i've just started ignoring everything now.

I guess that's what I'm talking about.

Popping up from the bottom and not pausing out your current app would be nice like you mention.
    Last edited by lagmefragme; 04-17-2009 at 11:35 AM.
    04-17-2009 11:33 AM
    I'm not a fan of getting kicked out of an app if I want answer a notification and then not being able to get back to it at the same spot. It's happened on a few 3rd party apps and i've just started ignoring everything now.
    I understand what you mean, some apps simply save while they are closed while others don't. But I still want a less obtrusive notification display.
    04-17-2009 11:35 AM
    I would love to see IntelliScreen for the iPhone officially. That would help a whole lot.

Also, I would like the ability to turn off notifications, lol. I'm referring to the SMS pop-up. It's the most annoying especially when I'm playing 3D Brickbreaker.
    04-17-2009 11:51 AM
    Well this is a good start. http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/04...tion-settings/
    04-17-2009 12:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD