What Price Are You Willing to Pay?

What are you willing to pay?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
So while no details are known about the next iPhone regarding it's pricing or what AT&T will do for those of us who purchased the iPhone 3G last July... what is the most you are willing to fork over in order to get yourself the next iPhone?

vanishingvision7

Apr 2, 2009
Visit site
iPhone was my first Apple product, although I haven't completely switched over to Macs, there is now a Mac running to the opposite side of my PC.

That's the kind of impression Apple made on me, so I'm willing to fork over a soul or two in order to get the "next best thing".

I'm not saying that iPhone 3G is THE perfect phone, if anything it's not perfect, but I'm in love with it and yes, my anticipation is already killing me.

Edit: 500+ I will still get it.

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
Good question!

I've been wondering the same thing myself. It really depends on what all of the new features are. I'm hoping that AT&T will have the same pricing structure they had for the previous versions of the phone ($199-$299) but realistically, if it has 32 GB and a 3.5 MP camera and video capability, I'd shell out $399. But I don't have a lot of extra money to play with, so if it goes over that amount I'm not likely to pick one up until after Christmas, if then. And that's only if the AT&T doesn't sneak something sneaky into their price plans!

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Okay, I feel the need to justify my vote.

I voted 500+, now there are some stipulations on that for me,

1st off, I don't think AT&T is going to do anything for people that have the iPhone 3G and used their upgrade for it, and here's why, the first time around, AT&T did not subsidize the iPhone. You paid outright for it, and even though you had to sign a contract, you did not use an upgrade (you still had one available for use at your discretion), so by allowing current 1st gen iPhone owners the ability to upgrade for upgrade pricing, AT&T did you no favors, I don't understand why some people think they did. People that used their upgrade for a different phone (say you bought a backup phone to your iphone with the upgrade), you were not eligible at that price point, you were eligible for early upgrade pricing of 399/499. There was a glitch in the system last July though that made everyone with an iPhone on their line eligible. That was not supposed to happen, lol

Either way - I think we will see the same pricing structure this time

Price point A - people that are eligible for an upgrade
Price point B - people that aren't eligible but willing to sign another 2 year (early exception)
Price point C - outright (won't see it for a while)

People that used their upgrade on the iPhone 3G will most likely be stuck with pricepoint B (which I wouldn't think would be over 500$ for the higher model).

AT&T lost some money on the second go around. I don't think it was because they subsidized it but because so many people found that glitch, they are still paying off subsidies for people that probably weren't supposed to be able to upgrade in the first place. That and say someone bought a new BlackBerry 2 weeks before the 1st iPhone dropped, then went out and paid for the iPhone and signed a new contract, well they never finished paying off that subsidy for the BlackBerry before the iPhone 3G dropped, but since they had an iPhone 1st gen and signed a "new" contract, they were automatically eligible, even though they never paid off that blackberry subsidy in full yet. It's a sticky situation, and I don't think AT&T will be willing to eat that much cash this time around.

As for what I'm willing to pay, it really depends. If the camera is better, the video option is ONLY available on the newer model like a lot of people are speculating, and it's an overhaul internally to make it "worth" the money, I'll pay that. But if we're just looking at adding video, no camera w/ a flash or no general all around improvements that will justify it, I'll stay where I'm at with the iPhone 3G either until I'm eligible or until I can get a decent price on a new one. I hardly ever send video messages, and neither do my friends, just MMS, so the addition of that will be enough unless there's more to shake a stick at with the new model.

Ivoryplum

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
@iMuggle-

AT&T is making their money from service plans (especially since every iPhone requires a $30 data plan). They aren't making their money from selling the phone.
You sign on to a 2-year contract, they'll reduce the price greatly because they know they're going to make so much more from you over those 2 years.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
@iMuggle-

AT&T is making their money from service plans (especially since every iPhone requires a $30 data plan). They aren't making their money from selling the phone.
You sign on to a 2-year contract, they'll reduce the price greatly because they know they're going to make so much more from you over those 2 years.

Exactly. But, giving you the phone for a cheaper price is a subsidy. The first iPhone was not subsidized, but the 2nd one was. They DID lose money giving you the 2nd iPhone for cheaper. The 2 year contract is to pay off that subsidy, which is why I do not think current 3G owners will be eligible for the lowest price point on the new one coming out. You would not be filling your part of the obligation, that being you having service with them for 2 years.

That's what the ETF is for, to recoup what they lose giving you a phone for cheap if you do not carry that service for the full contract term.

Jeffdc5#IM

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I won't pay a cent over 299 apples plan to make money off of us every summer is getting old there is no reason the expensive first gen iphone didn't have 3g and gps I will probably keep my 3g for some a while.

mth785

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
I won't be buying the new phone, I will be buying a reduced price 3g.

I lied, I will probably be paying full price because I don't like contracts.

Last edited:

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I won't pay a cent over 299 apples plan to make money off of us every summer is getting old there is no reason the expensive first gen iphone didn't have 3g and gps I will probably keep my 3g for some a while.

No one is forcing you to buy it? Apple is no different than any other tech company, except that they make innovative products and profit.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
No one is forcing you to buy it? Apple is no different than any other tech company, except that they make innovative products and profit.

Exactly right. Apple is not forcing a single person to upgrade every year. And other companies such as HTC pump out upgraded devices faster than Apple any day of the week. Good example is HTC's Touch devices. Seems there is a new version every few months.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I will pay upto 500 bucks. I'm banking on an "exception" upgrade policy where if you are not currently eligible you can still get one for an extra 200 bucks. If not...one of my line will be eligible for upgrade in August and I'll just get one then at the fully subsidized price. May do that anyway.

rknowlt

Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
I have a big deposit coming back from AT&T from my starting my 3G contract as an 18 year old with no credit history. So that deposit will cover my new iPhone no matter how much they decide to sell it to me for.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I just got my 3G at Christmas. With 3.0 coming I will probably ride out my contract. With what I have seen with 3.0, it should do me until the 4G network comes to my area. (Yeah like that will happen anytime the century!):D

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I have a big deposit coming back from AT&T from my starting my 3G contract as an 18 year old with no credit history. So that deposit will cover my new iPhone no matter how much they decide to sell it to me for.

I remember doing that same thing way back when I was 18. Although they didn't actually take the money, they just put a hold on one of my credit cards.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
As much as I would like a new phone with the features that have been described, I can't spend $300+ dollars every year for a new phone. I will (sadly) probably wait and upgrade when I am eligable, or wait for the 2010 model.

Chris

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
iMuggie pretty much summed up my thoughts. It just depends on what upgrades/features the 3rd gen. device will have. I'm not looking forward to camping out @ AT&T overnight for opening day again, but I AM crazy enough to do it! ;)

Whether we upgrade our hardware or not, we're going to get quite the bag of treats and goodies with 3.0. To me, 3.0 is far more exciting news than any hardware upgrade. We're going to see our iphones do things that we've been dreaming about since the beginning. So it's a win/win situation, folks!

Last edited:

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
One bonus us "campers" got was having our phones activated before the activation server crashed :)

Yep yep. Lol! I left a club late with friends and decided to break night on the line. We all got one and one friend showed some cleavage and got two. Then again, all 4/5 of us were managers at the business customer services :p

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Good point, Dizzy, and even more incentive to do it again. I was the 3rd person in line but the first one to get my phone activated. That particular store only carried 45 iPhones that day (there was well over 200 people in line). So not only did we avoid the server crash, we didn't have to wait (literally) MONTHS before the second iPhone shipment came in.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR