On my friends original 2g iphone he can organize names in the contacts app by groups, such as plumbers/carpenters/electricians, I do not have groups on my 3g am I missing something or did they eliminate this?
    04-08-2009 09:04 AM
    His phone must be jail broken as this is not a feature of a stock iPhone (original or 3G). Is he using the built in contact app? It's possible he has one from the app store that has groups, I think there are a bunch of them.
    04-08-2009 09:50 AM
    You do not need to be jailbroken in order to group your contacts. You just must adjust your contacts via your computer and sync the contacts over to the phone. You can use outlook on a Windows machine or Mac Mail on a Mac.

(Go into your contacts on the iPhone and in the upper left hand corner you will see "Groups")
    04-08-2009 10:02 AM
    His is not jailbroken, nor is it a downloaded app, and I do not have groups in the upper left corner, just the + sign on the right. we both run macs and are up to date
    on all software. appreciate all the response!
    04-08-2009 06:36 PM
    I gave you your answer above... you must create or edit the contact on your computer and then sync it over to the iPhone.
    04-08-2009 06:41 PM
    You can also create and add contacts to groups on the phone with a few different applications available in the app store. ABContacts, ABContacts Lite and ABGroups, the first two are developed by the same person, the third is a separate developer. I use ABContacts paid version and it works just fine.
    04-08-2009 07:48 PM
    BA, I did create a group on my mac then synced iphone, nothing.
    Shutter I will try one of those apps.
    Thanks all to who responded, I will ask the Genius guys what the think.
    04-09-2009 11:09 AM
    Works fine for me, sorry you didn't get it working. Good luck.
    04-09-2009 11:11 AM
    When you sync'd your phone, did you select which groups to sync on the info page? I know I had to do that when I was syncing with outlook, assume it would be the same for a mac.
    04-09-2009 12:21 PM
    When I did my sync I did not select anything doh! but i downloaded abcontacts and all is well.
    04-09-2009 09:11 PM
    You do not need to be jailbroken in order to group your contacts. You just must adjust your contacts via your computer and sync the contacts over to the phone. You can use outlook on a Windows machine or Mac Mail on a Mac.

(Go into your contacts on the iPhone and in the upper left hand corner you will see "Groups")
    BA - where exactly do I locate my contacts on my computer? I just got my iphone and I have no idea where it is storing the contact information when it syncs to my Mac laptop. It's not with my Entourage, and I can not figure out where it is placing the data. I'd like to go in and type in more contacts instead of always adding them on the iPhone.
    05-30-2009 12:42 PM
    BA - where exactly do I locate my contacts on my computer? I just got my iphone and I have no idea where it is storing the contact information when it syncs to my Mac laptop. It's not with my Entourage, and I can not figure out where it is placing the data. I'd like to go in and type in more contacts instead of always adding them on the iPhone.
    You tell it where to sync your contacts from via iTunes. By default on a Mac it may be your address book. But if you use Entourage you can change it to sync with that with no issues. Again plug in your iPhone and open iTunes, then look for the settings to make those changes.
    05-30-2009 01:20 PM
    Should be on the info tab.
    05-30-2009 06:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD