• 50-60 minutes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60+ minutes

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters

Ivoryplum

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
I dread hooking my iPhone up to the computer...
So much, that it's only done once a month (could this be causing the slow syncing?).
Anyways, it literally takes 2 hours for my phone to sync.
I don't have 2 hours to sit and wait for it to do this.

I'm just curious as to how long it takes everyone else?

EDIT: Also, I have the ability to send Apple my phones crash logs turned OFF.

Last edited:

rknowlt

Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
I also dread hooking my phone to the computer. It takes forever just to update the music I have stored on it. Painstakingly slow.

toomanyphones

Oct 14, 2008
Visit site
I download a lot of podcast, so i sync many times a day. It usually take less than a minute. A little more if i was away and have a lot of podcasts to add. I found it took a little longer when my itunes library was on a network drive.

Ivoryplum

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
I think it has to do with how little I'm syncing it.
If I synced more often, it probably wouldn't take so long.

Its still syncing by the way....
And it was syncing for 45 minutes before I posted this thread.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Syncing consist of backing up, syncing music, installing apps. After 1 initial sync future syncs shouldn't take long, unless you added 1000 new songs or something.

The thing that used to take forever was the backup...I think it just backed up everything every time. Now I think they've done something to do some sort of incremental trick or something. So if you send a bunch of text and email etc. during a month that backup is going to take some time. If you do it once a day it should take less.

Ivoryplum

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
Syncing consist of backing up, syncing music, installing apps. After 1 initial sync future syncs shouldn't take long, unless you added 1000 new songs or something.

The thing that used to take forever was the backup...I think it just backed up everything every time. Now I think they've done something to do some sort of incremental trick or something. So if you send a bunch of text and email etc. during a month that backup is going to take some time. If you do it once a day it should take less.

That'd be my problem then.
I text contantly throughout the day (probably 100 or so texts), and I rarely sync because I only do it to back up.
I'll just start doing it more often now....

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
That'd be my problem then.
I text contantly throughout the day (probably 100 or so texts), and I rarely sync because I only do it to back up.
I'll just start doing it more often now....

I wouldn't think so... Do you have the latest iTunes?

I SMS more than 200/day recently and I get tons of email (mod for crackberry) and it doesn't take me more than 1 minutes majority of the time. It takes a little bit more if I download and add new apps.

Ivoryplum

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't think so... Do you have the latest iTunes?

I SMS more than 200/day recently and I get tons of email (mod for crackberry) and it doesn't take me more than 1 minutes majority of the time. It takes a little bit more if I download and add new apps.

I figured out though that its because I sync every month or so.
I don't use my iPhone as my iPod (I have one for that) so the music thats on my iPhone is my favorite stuff, and I just leave it.
The only reason I sync is to save my new apps to the computer and back up.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Just a few minutes for me and I am backing up a little over 8G. It should not take that long.:confused:

of course since I use MoMe I rarely sync anymore.:rolleyes:

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Hmm, even my initial sync didn't take that long. I just traded my Bold for another iPhone 3G (16GB), I had a backup from my old 16GB iPhone 3G still saved so just did it from that, and it only took about 12 minutes for about 10GB worth of stuff (pics, music, movies, contacts, calendar, etc). That's a really long time for a sync.

Ivoryplum

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
So everytime I try to sync it, I get anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours in, and then a phone call comes in which I have to answer.
I just started it once again...and am hoping no one calls or texts.
Will leave it in there until I go to be in about 5 hours. Lets hope for the best...haha.

EDIT: Oh and its the backing up part that takes forever, not the syncing.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
So everytime I try to sync it, I get anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours in, and then a phone call comes in which I have to answer.
I just started it once again...and am hoping no one calls or texts.
Will leave it in there until I go to be in about 5 hours. Lets hope for the best...haha.

EDIT: Oh and its the backing up part that takes forever, not the syncing.

If you don't care about missing a call or text while syncing, put the iPhone in airplane mode first. Then the backup won't get interrupted.

Ivoryplum

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
It finally just finished.
Not sure if it was the 3 or 4 times pluging it in today or what, but only took about 30 minutes this time...

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I have to say the past 2 months my iPhone syncs have been getting longer and longer it seems each time. Specifically the back up phase. It takes at least 10 minutes just for the back up part and is getting longer. The rest goes pretty quickly though.

I deleted a lot of apps and cut down some stuff but it didn't seem to do anything. It almost seems like it's back to backing up the entire app instead of just the data again. It's getting annoying.

dlnmorrow

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
My sync time isnt too long at all. 10 minutes I would say or less. When I backed up my Touch then restored it to my iPhone it didnt take long, now the music transfer did 600+ songs took a good while. Image optimization process did too. 25 minutes or more, I tend to walk away.

keveridge

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
With podcasts available via the iTunes app and my contacts / calendar synced to an Exchange server, the only time I sync is to update my weekly audio edition of the Economist.

But are the syncs slow due to the initial backup or transferring all the media? I've heard there were ways to speed it up.

Ivoryplum

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
Just to give an update on this...
My iPhone has now been backing up for 6 hours!! Ummm...??
I was a beta tester for the i.tv app, and remember seeing the provision file still on my iPhone. Does anyone think this is causing the long sync times...? Like theres some sort of bug in it.
I had it plugged in for 2 hours yesterday, and then out of no where it disconnected.
This is getting frustrating...

Oh, and its only 20% complete.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods