With the rumors of new iPhone coming out. (I'm hoping for the positive)
    I'm curious to how AT&T will work the trade in program.

3G was my first phone so I never had a chance to go through the wonderful process of trading in a first gen.

Can someone who had to go through that explain how it worked? Did you have to sign a new contract? How much did you end up paying for the 3G?

I also would like to know if anyone has used nextworth.com
    After doing my research they looked reputable with B+ from BBB.org but I'm still a bit skeptical about it.
    04-07-2009 11:37 AM
    It's pretty easy to explain, there isn't one. There is no trade in plan or option. It was different for the original iPhone because it was not subsidized by AT&T, hence original iPhone owners could get the iPhone 3G at the subsidized price. But you still kept your original iPhone. I sold my original on eBay after I got my iPhone 3G. There aren't any details yet for what ever new iPhone there might be, but don't expect to be given an upgrade path from the iPhone 3G since you already got a huge discount on it.

And yes I did have to sign a new 2-year contract and get the 3G data plan to get the iPhone 3G at the subsidized price.
    04-07-2009 11:40 AM
    It's pretty easy to explain, there isn't one. There is no trade in plan or option. It was different for the original iPhone because it was not subsidized by AT&T, hence original iPhone owners could get the iPhone 3G at the subsidized price. But you still kept your original iPhone. I sold my original on eBay after I got my iPhone 3G. There aren't any details yet for what ever new iPhone there might be, but don't expect to be given an upgrade path from the iPhone 3G since you already got a huge discount on it.

And yes I did have to sign a new 2-year contract and get the 3G data plan to get the iPhone 3G at the subsidized price.
    Don't be so sure about AT&T and Apple shafting all the current iPhone 3G owners. And there has been talk about a trade in program.

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/03...rogram-summer/
    04-07-2009 12:48 PM
    Yup, your right. While I don't expect it because how AT&T is normally a stickler on upgrading, as are most carriers who use the same model. I would not be surprised if Apple is able to strike a deal with AT&T to allow iPhone 3G users to upgrade at some kind of cheaper price. Probably not the full subsidized price but something. Lots of people upgrade their iPods and Apple stuff every year when there is something new so they have that to dangle in front of AT&T. If any company can get AT&T to make special rules or bend them it's Apple fore sure.

Just not getting my hopes up too high as I really will be pretty happy with my iPhone 3G and v3.0. Is it summer yet?
    04-07-2009 01:22 PM
    I am 99% sure Apple & AT&T will let current iphone owners upgrade with no penalty. With the Palm Pre coming out, apple wants to make a huge splash with their new iphone. The only way that will happen is to let current iphone users upgrade too.
    04-07-2009 01:42 PM
    I am 99% sure Apple & AT&T will let current iphone owners upgrade with no penalty. With the Palm Pre coming out, apple wants to make a huge splash with their new iphone. The only way that will happen is to let current iphone users upgrade too.
    Good point. I really think that Apple is going to update the iPhone every year they will take care of their fanboys.
    04-07-2009 02:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD