To anyone who has restored their iPhone 3G, I'd like to know what things, if any, are not included in backups. Will I have to customize any settings again, or is ALL data backed up? Is there any info I should write down before restoring?

I ask because my home button is acting up. Lately, I've had to press it two or three times on occasion for it to function. A few times my lockscreen has even blinked on and off once after pushing it to awake it from sleep mode, requiring it to be pushed again. I'm hoping a restore fixes this.
    04-06-2009 04:57 PM
    If you restore from a backup it will put your phone back to the state that it currently is in - down to every last setting. But if your problem is within that backup and you still have the issue you may have to restore from scratch or it's a hardware issue.
    04-06-2009 05:07 PM
    Well, everything is the same after a restore from backup. So, I'll try a restore as new phone tomorrow and if that doesn't work I guess I'll head for the Apple Store. It's kinda strange after eight months of problem-free use.

Thanks, Ash
    04-06-2009 08:33 PM
    Sounds more like a hardware issue honestly. Good luck!
    04-07-2009 02:17 AM
    One more thing I forgot to ask, if you don't mind. If I restore as new phone (without backup), then sync my apps back onto the iPhone, will those apps have their data saved on them.... or is all that info just on the backup (for example: BeejiveIM, AirSharing, Checkbook, Weightbot, etc.)?
    04-08-2009 05:28 PM
    It'll most likely be on the backup. You would have to restore from the backup to have all of your saved data.
    04-10-2009 04:11 PM
    It'll most likely be on the backup. You would have to restore from the backup to have all of your saved data.
    You would be correct.
    04-10-2009 05:41 PM
    Thanks.

It must be a hardware issue like you said because it's getting worse. Which I guess is kind of a good thing because now I don't have to worry about it not happening at the Apple Store. It's happening close to every time now.

Hope I can get a new one.
    04-11-2009 07:11 PM
    This is great! It really shows me where to expand my blog. I think that sometime in the future I might try to write a book to go along with my blog, but we will see…Good post with useful tips and ideas
    04-17-2009 09:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD