In addition to ideas for all the "obvious" upgrades that have already been covered in other threads (camera, memory software etc,etc.) I can't help thinking that the time will surely come when Apple have to carry out a redesign of the overall shape of the iPhone.

In order to maintain market share, Apple's competitors are almost continually changing the appearance of their products. In my opinion, sooner or later, Apple will have to join the design rat-race! Moreover, Apple will need a "new look" iPhone for the benefit of the gadget collectors, posers and show offs who want to make it obvious to their pals that they have the latest model!

The trouble is, how on earth are they going to do it? - they can't realistically change the size of the screen (that's its main strength), different coloured backs must be impracticable as it would surely be a manufacturing nightmare! Any ideas?
    04-05-2009 05:53 PM
    Hmm, that's something to think about, but I don't know if I really think it's necessary. The iPhone is a great shape (IMO). It fits in your pocket well, it fits in the hand very nicely. Apple has never really changed the shapes of their iPod lines, just came out with a different version.

Well, okay, they did, but not for a long while. iMacs still look similar to older versions, just a little revamped and cleaner around the edges.

That's kind of the part I like about Apple, instead of trashing a good product and making a new one, they simply refine what they already have. To me, that gets things as close to perfect as possible.
    04-05-2009 06:31 PM
    Yeah, I don't really see Apple dramatically changing the design of the iPhone. Over time it may become thinner and maybe change the plastic, but I don't see much else changing.
    04-05-2009 06:35 PM
    I just dont think the design could get any better
    04-05-2009 07:36 PM
    I have always thought that Apple did a very good job with regard to designing their products for human factors. The only change I think I would make is to replace the plastic back cover for something more durable.
    04-05-2009 07:52 PM
    Yeah, I'd have to say I'm not so sure you will see any major changes in terms of it's look. Only thing I can say I'm hoping for is to get away from plastic.
    04-06-2009 10:02 AM
    Yeah, I'd have to say I'm not so sure you will see any major changes in terms of it's look. Only thing I can say I'm hoping for is to get away from plastic.
    Agreed.

If it aint broke, don't fix it!
    04-06-2009 12:05 PM
    Some think that the plastic back was done on purpose to help improve Cell and Wi-Fi reception. Remember, the first iPhone had a metal back, so it could have been carried through to the next one.
    04-06-2009 03:53 PM
    Some think that the plastic back was done on purpose to help improve Cell and Wi-Fi reception. Remember, the first iPhone had a metal back, so it could have been carried through to the next one.
    Eh, I don't know about that. The antenna was on the bottom where the plastic piece was so it was not covered by metal. Either way I'm sure Apple could figure something out.
    04-07-2009 11:24 PM
    i heard they are redesigning it to make it look more like a nokia 5110. plus they will all be pink
    10-28-2009 12:35 AM
    I like the way the phone is now
    10-28-2009 12:55 AM
    I would like a matte textured back instead of the glossy texture they use currently. Would also be nice if they went back to an aluminum case back, as they are not vulnerable to cracking like the plastic is. Metal, however, dents, so I guess that's the tradeoff.
    10-28-2009 06:16 AM
    I love the title. Is it "possible"

yes, anything is possible. ANYTHING.

what you want to ask is if it's probable.
    10-28-2009 01:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD