So, on 3/19/2009 my iPhone fell out of my sweatshirt pocket and into the toilet.

I found an old Blackjack and called ATT to use this phone. Off to the beach for a week. I got back called Apple Support and they don't cover water damage. Browbeat ATT into giving me a new Blackberry for free (all sorts of freebies with that call).

Today, just for the heck of it decided to charge the iPhone and see what happens. Lo and behold, its up and running. Connected to WiFi, all the apps are running, had to manually update the clock and calendar but other than that, works just like the day I received it. Wow!!!!! Guess 10+ days of dry time worked. I simply cannot believe this.

So, if you toilet your iPhone, let it dry, dry, dry and in the meantime, threaten to switch to Verizon and ATT will be more than happy to accomodate you.
    04-05-2009 03:20 PM
    That is great Jasperar!! My son "dropped" his dumb phone in the pool one time. Did the same as you. Let it dry out for a few days and it was good as new.

Will ATT let you re-activate the iPhone!
    04-05-2009 03:25 PM
    I think first you should run it in the dishwasher and then let it dry out :P

Glad to hear you got it working. A trick that worked for a friend, after his phone when rain soaked dead, was putting it in a ziplock bag with rice and leaving it in the fridge for a few days.
    04-05-2009 03:29 PM
    aww man that sucks
    04-05-2009 07:34 PM
    Sounds like a great device. What other phone can handle that and still work. Yes it took awhile for it to dry out but geez.

Can't wait to get mine.
    04-05-2009 08:35 PM
    I'm almost embarrassed to call ATT. I have no doubt they will re-activate, Lord knows I pay for plenty of phone lines. Oh well, have a new Blackberry, free data plan for two months and a car phone charger. The irritation is Apple, oh no, once its wet, it will no longer work and we won't cover it. Apple is just wrong and I am completely disgusted. We should let others know.
    04-05-2009 08:41 PM
    I had a friend who completely soaked her phone, she baked it in the oven for a while and voila, it worked again. These devices are more resilient than they make us think!
    04-09-2009 11:58 AM
    That's cool man! If I ever drop my iPhone into water, I'll give AT&T a call...and hopefully they give me lots of good stuff like you
    04-10-2009 06:45 PM
    Yeah, heck if my iPhone ever starts to stop working (god for bid) I'll drop it in the toilet and get myself a free blackberry...haha. Thanks for the advice
    04-13-2009 12:10 AM
    LOL, you should read this
    Safety Guidebook for iPhone - Part I
    04-13-2009 04:03 AM
    I once left my old phone (not iPhone) in my pants pocket, washed and dryed it in the washer and dryer and it worked like nothing had happened to it. But if I were to do it to my iPhone, I would freak out.
    04-14-2009 03:49 PM
    is your iphone still working? i dropped mine in the toilet about six weeks ago, it worked fine up until last week and now the screen is all white and i can't see anything. i can only guess this is due to the previous water damage..
    04-14-2009 10:36 PM
    Yeah and they know it is water damaged cause of the sticker inside...
    04-20-2009 05:06 AM
    Hmmm. My first iPhone has a rectangle of pixels that have lost touch sensitivity. I thought it was due to water damage, but now I suspect that perhaps the cracked screen due to dropping it in a parking lot might have been a factor. Anyone else suffer from loss of touch sensitivity? Mine is about 40 pixels tall across the entire width of the screen.
    04-23-2009 11:59 AM
    Toilet stories like this, is why I'm leery of buying used phones. You just never really know where it's been!
    04-23-2009 12:39 PM
    The irritation is Apple, oh no, once its wet, it will no longer work and we won't cover it. Apple is just wrong and I am completely disgusted. We should let others know.
    You REALLY think Apple should give you a new phone once you drop it in your toilet????

When you crash your car do you expect them to give you a new one or fix it for free?
    04-23-2009 01:54 PM
    Note to self: Never use anyone's phone. People are filthy pigs.
    04-23-2009 05:57 PM
    Yeah, heck if my iPhone ever starts to stop working (god for bid) I'll drop it in the toilet and get myself a free blackberry...haha. Thanks for the advice
    but why downgrade?

lol sorry, i'm an ex BlackBerry user.

we had a pretty bad breakup.
    04-25-2009 04:02 PM
    @Hermdog,

LMAO.
    04-25-2009 04:29 PM
    05-06-2009 11:37 AM
    Great article Bad Ash. I think they finally changed their policy regarding water damage because it's been an ongoing issue with devices.

I have a question. Some devices are waterproof, but what material is used to make them that way?
    05-06-2009 03:20 PM
    Great article Bad Ash. I think they finally changed their policy regarding water damage because it's been an ongoing issue with devices.

I have a question. Some devices are waterproof, but what material is used to make them that way?
    Cell phone that is waterproof? I've never heard of any.
    05-06-2009 11:25 PM
    Apple just changed there warranty to cover water damage on the iphone for a price of 199 without extending you contact
    05-07-2009 03:34 PM
    Cell phone that is waterproof? I've never heard of any.
    Me neither. I was wondering what material makes devices waterproof. I heard if it's built with rubber gaskets in the seams it will help keep water out.
    05-07-2009 03:56 PM
    I have washed 2 ipods in the washer and after a few days drying time, they were back to new. Too bad Palms aren't like that. I have a Palm 550 that STILL has water behind the screen where I spilt water on it several months ago.
    05-17-2009 03:33 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD