What features would you have added to 3.0 that Apple left out?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
So we all know what to expect with iPhone OS 3.0... but what features, if anything, would you have liked to have seen Apple squeeze in?

I know most of you will say video recording so that is a given. Anything else?

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Something similar to SBSettings to quickly enable/disable 3G, wifi, bluetooth, airplane mode and brightness. I'd be happy with an "app" with only these settings.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Even with spotlight, I would still want an easier way to organize apps on the iPhone, like through iTunes.

The other thing that would be very useful it to allow 3rd party background apps. Yes, push is nice and works for certain type of apps, but there are some (radio apps) that need to be able to run in the background. I'm holding out hope for a surprise in the 3.0 to allow background apps possibly with a new 3rd gen iPhone.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
I thought 3.0 was supposed to add video recording?

Or is that just still speculation at this point still?

Just speculation. Apple announced voice recording, but not video. There have been "signs" in the 3.0 code stuff (sorry, don't know the lingo ;)) that video recording is coming, but probably with a new iPhone.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Just speculation. Apple announced voice recording, but not video. There have been "signs" in the 3.0 code stuff (sorry, don't know the lingo ;)) that video recording is coming, but probably with a new iPhone.

Yeah, I think there is a good amount of stuff hidden away in the beta (and maybe more stuff not even in the dev beta) that will be available to use only on the latest 3rd gen iPhone. Just like MMS will work on the 3G, but not on the 1st gen, they could make the 3.0 software support video recording and background apps on only the latest hardware.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site

Hmm, that's disappointing considering it's obvious the iPhone can support video now, as you can download cycorder and programs of the like.

I hope that's included for at least the 3G.

Txdogs

Jan 9, 2009
Visit site
This may seem silly but I'd simply like the 'home screen' to be whatever picture I choose with 4 apps below it, basics such as phone, email, contacts, SMS. Then flip the screen to all other apps.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Hmm, that's disappointing considering it's obvious the iPhone can support video now, as you can download cycorder and programs of the like.

I hope that's included for at least the 3G.

The original iPhone can handle video just fine as well. Either Apple thinks its simply not good enough to put out there or they are holding off on purpose to add it to new hardware only.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
This is what I think about the video, apple knows the camera can do video, but they don't want the crappy camera doing it, if it's gonna have their name on it. it's gonna have a better camera with a better electronic shutter that can do a better frame rate and more MP.

Stevie No-Wonder

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
I would like to have seen some very simple things added rather than MMS and A2DP Support...

ToDos in Calendar and Sync'd with MobileMe: A third party app would cause me more unorganization right from the start. So, I'll never buy one.

Mail "Junk" filters and Flagging: Need I explain?... Ughhh.

Access to "Recent Call List" While Having Someone on Hold: Why is every other phone app feature available except this one?

More Sound Settings: This one is trivial, but would still be useful in situations.

I could go on, but I won't. ;)

Freiteez

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I like all the features 3.0 will have. If the next iphone just gets video i probably wont upgrade. I want apple to surprise me with some crazy features on the next hardware update. Something unexpected

icewingdog

Aug 24, 2004
Visit site
1. some method of application/folder organization without jailbreaking

2. remove the stupid "fix" for location services and make it easier to turn on again!!! :mad:

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Blackberry Messenger - with BB connect.:rolleyes:

Seriously... Video recording + Editing. I didn't use the vid recorder, but just having it would be good.

remlle

Apr 6, 2009
Visit site
I would have to say my most needed addition to the Iphone software is smart dial. I am so used to that with my PPCs that its hard to get away from with the Iphone. I love dialing the name using the keypad and it makes using the phone easier. this would be my number one gripe with the phone.

shollomon

Apr 6, 2009
Visit site
Some small stuff missing:

1) Spell check as you type in email.
2) Multiple signatures in email.
3) Let us select our own colors for calendars.

Big stuff that stinks that they'll never change:

1) Give us "conduits" like Palm had so we can manage our music, addresses, notes, etc with programs of our choice.
2) Give us access to the iPhone file system. I'd love to edit the hosts file to block ads.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro