I just bought my iPhone on March 20th. I was wondering if I should return it to the store and wait for the the newer version to come out in the summer? I still have the 30 days to return the phone without penalty....well 10% restocking fee, but whatever.

If you suggest staying with it should I jailbreak even with 3.0 on the horizon? I dont want to get caught up with the jailbroken software and then have to revamp everything once again.
    04-05-2009 12:04 AM
    It still isn't certain that there will be a new iPhone in the summer. If I were you I'd look into what is rumored to be in a new iPhone this summer and weigh out if you want to wait for that or not. Are the new features something you REALLY want to wait for? Also, If you keep good care of your current iPhone, you should be able to sell it for a very good price when/if the new iPhone is released.

I wouldn't jailbreak. 3.0 is right around the corner and you're going to have to restore to upgrade anyway. Might as well not get used to some the conveniences of jailbreaking so that you'll miss them when 3.0 comes out. Keep 3.0 as an entirely positive experience
    04-05-2009 12:15 AM
    @llofte,

Thanks for the good advice. I have also heard rumor that if the Phone is in decent shape AT&T will be offering upgrade pricing. I only have the minor surface scratches on the back because I wanted to use it a few days before buying accessories, stupid I know, but it is wrapped and sealed now. The screen is mint THANK God!

Any advice on making personal tones for text messages? I followed the information on making ringtones and it worked well, just nothing personal for text or emails. I was kind of bummed at that one.
    04-05-2009 12:21 AM
    Any advice on making personal tones for text messages? I followed the information on making ringtones and it worked well, just nothing personal for text or emails. I was kind of bummed at that one.
    You can only change the ringtone, you will need to jailbreak to change the text to custom.
    04-05-2009 01:18 AM
    @llofte,

Thanks for the good advice. I have also heard rumor that if the Phone is in decent shape AT&T will be offering upgrade pricing. I only have the minor surface scratches on the back because I wanted to use it a few days before buying accessories, stupid I know, but it is wrapped and sealed now. The screen is mint THANK God!
    They posted that the trade-in program will give you $50-100 based on the condition of your iPhone 3G or 1st gen iPhone.

To me, that's a rip. I'm assuming this next one probably won't be subsidized (just a guess).

Either way - if I new one DOES drop, unlock your current one and put it on eBay or CL, either way - you'll get a heck of a lot more than what AT&T will give you for it. Possibly enough to eat the cost of a new one altogether.
    04-05-2009 04:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD