Pixel is Dead :)

EnterpriseGlobe

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone had a problem with a dead pixel on their screen?

My 3G is now having a little red dot (dead pixel) between the "phone" and "mail" icon.

Is this covered by Apple's warranty? :)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
If it is red that is a stuck pixel not a dead pixel. Apple should not give you a hard time with exchanging it.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
They won't exchange it just for one stuck pixel, my original iPhone had a stuck pixel for months (also red, but could do black and a few other colors). They said you need more than one for it to be a problem.

Their reasoning, 340x480 = 163,200 pixels

1/163,200 = 0.000006127 = .0006127%

Less than 1/2 a % is not a problem to them. At least that is what they told me over the phone and at an Apple store.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
They won't exchange it just for one stuck pixel, my original iPhone had a stuck pixel for months (also red, but could do black and a few other colors). They said you need more than one for it to be a problem.

Their reasoning, 340x480 = 163,200 pixels

1/163,200 = 0.000006127 = .0006127%

Less than 1/2 a % is not a problem to them. At least that is what they told me over the phone and at an Apple store.

Totally disagree... they will indeed exchange a device for a single pixel. I've had it done before. Granted it may depend on who you have and how well their day is going, but it can be done. Plain and simple.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I guess the Apple store in DC I went too just didn't like me then. They did say there was no set policy on number of pixels that had to be bad in order for them to replace it, just it had to be more than one to indicate the screen was going bad. Their phone support gave me the same speach about it's less than .5% that was bad so they wouldn't replace it, and to call back if more went dead or stuck. Maybe now there is a policy or they are nicer.

How long ago did you get yours exchanged for a single dead/stuck pixel?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I guess the Apple store in DC I went too just didn't like me then. They did say there was no set policy on number of pixels that had to be bad in order for them to replace it, just it had to be more than one to indicate the screen was going bad. Their phone support gave me the same speach about it's less than .5% that was bad so they wouldn't replace it, and to call back if more went dead or stuck. Maybe now there is a policy or they are nicer.

How long ago did you get yours exchanged for a single dead/stuck pixel?

I had 8 original iPhones due to dead pixels... Some had multiple dead pixels while some had single BRIGHT dead ones. You could always call Apple and say you have 4 or 5 of them. When they get it they don't check it. (Not that I agree with making up a lie but... it would work)

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Wow, 8 iPhones; that's some bad luck. I went through 2 originals; first one wouldn't charge all the way (this was shortly after launch) and the second one the silent switch fell off.

I had thought of calling the phone support again and saying I had more dead pixels. I've made up some fancy sob stories before for getting warranty service; especially getting my Xbox 360 replaced at Best Buy. But for what ever reason I just never did and gave up. I guess at the time I was under the impression they actually attempted to repair the original iPhones and didn't just replace all of them so I thought they would figure me out and not do it anyway or try to then charge me since they found it was only one pixel.

Maybe they will or won't replace it at the store now, can always try you luck with phone support; one stuck pixel can become "a bunch".

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
one stuck pixel can become "a bunch".

Indeed they can... yeah, I had some real bad luck with the original iPhone but the way Apple took care of me made me a fan for life. Even bought a Mac after that. ;)

Ghecko

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
There are other alternatives before sending in ONE dead and/or stuck try using a pixel fixer located on youtube or download and sync it via ituens and upload a pixel fixer video i have had luck with it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2