MMS - How will you be using it?

Casper TFG

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
I read the Wikipedia entry on it but still don't really 'get' what use MMS is.

Is it a nicer looking way to send a message with photos? Or is it deeper than that?

How will you be using it?

Does it have a commercial angle?

Will we get MMS spam?

What if you send an MMS to someone that doesn't have an MMS phone?

Just need someone to switch the light on... I am kinda in the dark about it..

Thanks in advance..

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
SMS = Short message service, for sending text only
MMS = Multi-media message service, for sending pictures, videos, audio recordings

Pretty much every phone has been able to send picture messages since they first started slapping cameras onto cell phones. It's just texting only for pictures, videos, and audio instead of just a text message.

Both are just an email service that is run by the cell carriers and are specifically for being sent from phone to phone. The carriers charge a lot for these services.

I personally will not send any MMS messages if it costs a single penny more than what I am paying now. Emailing is much more reliable and doesn't cost me anything extra.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
MMS is Multimedia Messaging Service. It allows you to send pictures, contacts, audio files, and locations to other phones that support it through the iPhones "Text" application or in 3.0 it is called "Messaging". MMS is the standard for sending pictures from mobile to mobile. That's really all there is to it.

Ekelon

Mar 23, 2009
Visit site
Well AT&T already includes MMS in their family plans... so I technically should have it on my iPhone lol what lame false advertising. Anyways, I will use MMS to send naked pictures of myself to everyone.......

JUST KIDDING.
but haha the i've only received photos with MMS twice in the past year. once was just a kodak embarrasing moment of somebody else i had to save, and the other was of my friend getting her hair extensions and she wanted to show me haha. but with the iphone... i could've just gotten on facebook and seen the same thing... so I guess MMS is kinda pointless i.m.o. it's so easy to just upload a mobile photo to a blog page nowadays.

Nellybelly333

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
I think its great for people who have friend with regular flip phones. None of my friends/family have email on their phones so when someone wants to send a picture from their cellphone that is what they do. And I get to try to open up those stupid web pages and enter in passwords...

So personally I am excited for MMS

Ekelon

Mar 23, 2009
Visit site
I think its great for people who have friend with regular flip phones. None of my friends/family have email on their phones so when someone wants to send a picture from their cellphone that is what they do. And I get to try to open up those stupid web pages and enter in passwords...

So personally I am excited for MMS

Yea based on all the videos I think the easiness and quality of the pictures will egg me on to use the feature more when it does come out.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Depends how the billing works.
I'm thinking it will go both against your SMS and data plans.

I hope AT&T doesn't makes you sign up for some other special plan with MMS.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
MMS is good for those who don't have email capabilities. MMS actually gets downsized in quality due to a 500kb limit (it could be less). MMS is included in the messaging plans now and will not change unless all messaging plans change. It's always better to send it by email so the recipient can get full quality from the image. Also I've noticed MMS gets lost a lot when sending/receiving from Verizon (from any other carrier), but Verizon to Verizon seem to work flawlessly ;)

Last edited:

inkedgeek

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I'm happy apple finally decided to make an MMS app it was a pain in the arse to type a user name and password every time i got a picture or send a picture to an email or figure out the phones MMS email (NUMBER@COMPANY.NET/COM) I get pictures all time and would definitely be using it a lot, plus its part of unlimited messages which is included in my plan

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro