Now that Landscape in all apps has been announced..

Casper TFG

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Now that Landscape keyboard in all apps has been announced...

Do you think people will be able to import their Blackberry 'thumb typing' chops over to iPhone?

Are you iPhone veterans looking forward to using it? Turning the phone sideways and typing with two digits? (thumbs) instead of jabbing with one finger?

(I have been waiting for landscape before jumping off the Blackberry ship..)

It was a fairly popular feature request - now its coming - are you looking forward to it?

Will you be using it?

Thanks

Last edited:

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
I come from a Treo background and have just always been used to portrait typing. I never use the Mobile Safari landscape keyboard, and don't figure I'll use the other apps in landscape now.

I just feel more comfortable when my thumbs can reach across both sides of the keyboard.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I love portrait mode and I've never been the one to ask for landscape. I type a lot faster in portrait (with both my digits).

Answer: Nope, I won't be using it at all. I rarely use it in Safari to make the pages larger, but when it's time to type, portrait it goes.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I've tried to use it a few times and I just can't get it down. I'm so used to portrait mode at this point it will take some time to get adjusted to landscape mode.

jadesimian

Feb 11, 2009
Visit site
I agree with most of the replies. As we speak I'm typing this reply in portrait mode with both thumbs.

So I doubt I'll use it much. Oddly enough, if I do use landscape, I'll probably lay it on a flat surface and jab at it with two fingers like a flimsy keyboard.

blink1me82

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
I was never able to type on the landscape keyboard. I like the fact that I can use one hand or even two hands to type faster in portrait. I really hope they have an option to disable landscape for the apps or I'll be going crazy whenever I lay down or turn my phone accidentally.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I was never able to type on the landscape keyboard. I like the fact that I can use one hand or even two hands to type faster in portrait. I really hope they have an option to disable landscape for the apps or I'll be going crazy whenever I lay down or turn my phone accidentally.

I could not agree more, sadly in the first beta there is no option to do so.

wesdavies

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
I type quickly and accurately in portrait, so I have never understood all the fuss about having a landscape keyboard.

I suspect it will make it easier for users of other smartphones (with fixed keyboards) to consider defecting to the iPhone - and that's a good thing.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Landscape is no good for me. Gives you less reading room and the keys are so far apart I type slower.

Also, I don't have small hands and I can type fine with 1 or 2 fingers in portrait mode and I'll race any of you landscape guys :)

Last edited:

patcom8

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
i talked about them putting this in the software along with the 2.0 update. I'm very excited for it because i have missed the larger keyboard because my fingers always type the wrong thing... hopefully the new update will also allow me to type "Yo"... since the current software doesnt allow it

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
I never use the landscape keyboard. Granted, I do think it'd be easier to learn to type on it when you aren't used to anything yet. But once you have the portrait keyboard mastered, it's better. I can't stand how much space is hogged up by landscape. Can't even glance up at anything above it because there's only a few millimeters of the screen left to view.

Wyatt

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Typing is much quicker in portrait mode. The only time I see this coming in handy when you're already in landscape mode and need to type, you no longer have to go back to portrait mode just to do so.

Jeffdc5#IM

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I spent years using the tmobile sidekick, blackberries, Mda, tilt. I'm used to landscape I love typing on my g1 I can't wait for landscape on my iphone.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
i talked about them putting this in the software along with the 2.0 update. I'm very excited for it because i have missed the larger keyboard because my fingers always type the wrong thing... hopefully the new update will also allow me to type "Yo"... since the current software doesnt allow it

Lol... I find this funny as it sometimes allows it and sometimes doesn't. I figure it is because you write "to" more than you write "yo"

Jdub

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Landscape 4 me

I was in a dirt bike accident 6 years ago and lost a lot of dexterity in my left hand. When I'm on the web and get to type in landscape my thumbs are not as jammed together as they are when I have to type in portrait. I find myself typing faster and with less mistakes with the landscape keyboard!

A great day for me!! :D:D

Jdub

pierluigi

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Even if I got used to type sms and emails with both hands in portrait mode, landscape would be the perfect solution. I use it almost everytime on Safari and Nimbuzz. It's so much faster.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods