I do just fine typing in portrait mode after nearly 2 years. But the landscape keyboard is nice. I use it all the time in Safari when it isn't lagging (Safari's only real problem right now). It will be nice that all apps have landscape mode with the keyboard, I know I will be using often with texting and email. Holding the phone sideways with both hands is more comfortable for me.
    03-23-2009 10:00 AM
    No landscape for me i love the ability to be able to type with one hand
    03-23-2009 10:05 AM
    Thanks for the share,

Not that I have to, but I want to slightly 'qualify' my interest in Landscape mode.. I have mild carpel tunnel.

I had to ditch the Blackberry Bold as it was too wide and heavy - While typing I had to support the phone with a little finger (pinkie USA) across the back of it and that got to hurting quickly.. The slimmer BB 8900 has been OK-ish typing wise but the keys are as small as they could possibly be (and whoever thought up dark red on black for the numbers...?) overall its wretched experience typing in low light..

So whatever keyboard mode hurts my hands less - will be what I will be using..

Roll on summer..!
    Last edited by Casper TFG; 03-23-2009 at 10:13 AM.
    03-23-2009 10:09 AM
    The best thing about this is that I get to choose which way works best for me. I've gotten used to the portrait keyboard, but for SMS/IM, I'd like to be able to use landscape. Sometimes, I'm sure I'll use portrait.

Thank you Apple for giving me the choice.
    03-23-2009 12:28 PM

Its one of those only time will tell things IMHO - will iPhone 3.0 newbies learn to iPhone type in landscape and prefer it?
    My thoughts exactly. I am really interested to see what people who get their first iphone with the option to use either keyboard acclimate themselves to. I personally love the portrait keyboard and never use the landscape one.
    03-23-2009 01:19 PM
    Holding the phone sideways with both hands is more comfortable for me.
    Haha I guess that's another thing for me. It feels a lot more natural and it feels cooler too. (I remember a few years back watching those kids whole the sidekicks and stuff it was wider than it was tall and it looked pretty cool)
    03-23-2009 02:37 PM
    I'm looking forward to the landscape keyboard. Even though the auto-correct is really good, I'd rather have the bigger keyboard so I can type my message correctly in the first place.
    03-23-2009 04:35 PM
    I have now moved from blackberry to a 3GS.

I DO use landscape whenever possible.

However it's annoying that it's implimentation isn't total. For example right now I am in LS mode but because it's a web data entry window I am unable to tip it sideways so you have to start as you mean to procede.

But overall it's nice to be able to take some of my two thumb BB typing skills with me.
    07-05-2009 03:26 AM
    I have been trying to use landscape typing and so far have found that I type much slower and make more mistakes and as someone already stated it takes up too much real estate on the screen. I can type very fast in portrait mode, with both thumbs and I do not have small hands! I am sure, though, that if I had to I could learn to type in landscape. it is good that there is a choice. but I have found that if I have no choice I CAN adapt.
    07-05-2009 03:56 AM
    I Love landscape! I was very happy when apple said it will be in 3.0.
    07-05-2009 06:56 AM
    OK I was the original poster of this thread..

After 3 weeks some observations..

1) Its very annoying that landscape is NOT actionable in all iPhone core aps and set up pages..

2) Its annoying that once you start in some situations (like a forum post) you are stuck in that orientation and no tilting of the phone will bring you back to the other keyboard.

3) If I have something serious to type I use landscape.

4) Where the frack is spell checker? Predict.. fine whatever (kinda annoying but its early days for me I guess...) but I would like to check things with a spell checker before sending... Big feature gap IMHO .. needs to be fixed - very unbusinesslike - if you are dyslexic (like I am) its a real drag & worry..

5) I don't suffer from Blackberry Claw any more - iPhone has helped relieve my Carpel Tunnel.

6) As its not as easy as a Blackberry to type on - I type a little less on it. I have less 'email type mania' I am smoking less Crackberry. I am less a slave to my inbox..I am not typing emails on the can, in line for coffee, while pushing my kids on the swing, while in traffic, walking down the street And thats A GOOD THING!

7) That magnifying glass things is a PITA - its a shame the main button cant operate as a cursor mouse.. OH well!:o

8) Over all I would summarize the iPhone keyboard as - "weird to work with" for someone used to QWERTY hardware smartphones - but tolerable.

I will get used to it I am sure...
    Last edited by Casper TFG; 07-13-2009 at 08:34 PM.
    07-13-2009 08:30 PM
    I prefer landscape mode. My hands are big so it feels so much less cramped than when I try to type in portrait mode.
    07-14-2009 01:15 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD