New computer help!

Nellybelly333

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys, I need some help here.

I just got a new macbook tonight, and I have been trying to figure out how to transition over. I know that I cannot have my iphone synced to more than one computer at a time, but is there a way to easily move my music and contacts from my old PC to this new mac?

I know there was a way to merge the two before your first sync by adding a contact and an calender event, but I messed that up and missed that window. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
It's late, I'm not sure what the thread is, but there is one. A good thread on moving your library to a new computer. Someone knows the thread I'm talking about?

APPCRITICal

Dec 28, 2008
Visit site
Hi, the easiest way i can think of is to sync to your old computer so it generates a fresh backup. Then copy this backup file (if you let me know your OS i can tell you the location, and your library to either DVD's or externall hdd. Then import the library into iTunes on the new computer and then sync, this will delete the contacts etc temporarily. Now manually choose a restore file to reload all your data (again, let me know the OS and i'll give you the instructions.)

Hope this helps

Marc

Nellybelly333

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi, the easiest way i can think of is to sync to your old computer so it generates a fresh backup. Then copy this backup file (if you let me know your OS i can tell you the location, and your library to either DVD's or externall hdd. Then import the library into iTunes on the new computer and then sync, this will delete the contacts etc temporarily. Now manually choose a restore file to reload all your data (again, let me know the OS and i'll give you the instructions.)

Hope this helps

Marc

I am running XP. Thank you so much for your help!

APPCRITICal

Dec 28, 2008
Visit site
Ok, run the sync on your old computer to create the backup. then search for files ending in .ipsw burn off the most recent one, then burn your ENTIRE itunes folder from the My Music directory. On your new computer import the library through itunes and then plugin your iphone and sync. your contacts etc will disapear but then by either alt clicking or ctrl clicking Restore, it will let you choose a backup fil, then use the one you burned off earlier :)

This should work, if not just resync on your old comp and everything will be back on there anyway.

Marc

Reactions: Nellybelly333

Nellybelly333

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
Ok, run the sync on your old computer to create the backup. then search for files ending in .ipsw burn off the most recent one, then burn your ENTIRE itunes folder from the My Music directory. On your new computer import the library through itunes and then plugin your iphone and sync. your contacts etc will disapear but then by either alt clicking or ctrl clicking Restore, it will let you choose a backup fil, then use the one you burned off earlier :)

This should work, if not just resync on your old comp and everything will be back on there anyway.

Marc

Quick question, I am a little unclear on the .ipsw part. How do I "burn off the most recent one"? I am not sure what that means... I am not really good at this stuff :confused:

Nellybelly333

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
And itunes does this automatically when I sync my computer right? The only part that is getting me is the .ispw files and the burning the most recent one... That is wayyy over my head.