A2DP on iPhone 3 first impressions

Will you be using A2DP when 3.0 is public?

• Yes, can't wait!

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • Maybe, not sure yet

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Nope

Votes: 7 17.1%

• Total voters

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com

I finished my first impressions post on my blog for A2DP and as promised posting my thoughts here as well. So after I got my Motorola S9-HD charged up last night I started testing it out...well after watching iPhone Live and LOST.

So my first quick test was to confirm the stereo was actually working. I tested Money by Pink Floyd and Mr. Brightside by the Killers. Both of these songs have very distinct use of the left and right channels and it worked great!

The quality of the sound is pretty good, but not quite as good as the iPhone 3G wired pair. This might be the norm and just a limit of the wireless versus wired, not sure? Anyone know?

One small issue that is most likely / hopefully due to it being the first beta is that while using the A2DP phones the music would get choppy or stop for a few seconds when trying to do other things on the phone, like check mail. It even would get choppy when looking for other songs in the iPod app. It did play smooth when you just leave it alone.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
ehhh, never had a interest to waste more battery.

Yeah, I agree, I did this most because I'm a nerd and wanted to see how it worked. Not sure how much more this would drain the battery, but it's got to be noticeable. I think I will use it for specific purposes like exercise and stuff along those lines. Even though it's a battery killer it's still nice to see Apple giving us the option, just wish they would do the same with background apps. I would be happy if they just allowed one background app at a time because radio apps are almost pointless now.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Yeah, I agree, I did this most because I'm a nerd and wanted to see how it worked. Not sure how much more this would drain the battery, but it's got to be noticeable. I think I will use it for specific purposes like exercise and stuff along those lines. Even though it's a battery killer it's still nice to see Apple giving us the option, just wish they would do the same with background apps. I would be happy if they just allowed one background app at a time because radio apps are almost pointless now.

I hear you, it's a new feature, why not mess around with it.

Still hanging in there with the beta I see. I could not take it any more. Here's hoping to beta #2 so I can switch back to my iPhone... :eek:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Hmm, I see audio controls on the lock screen now for the iPod...very nice. Summer is so far away ;(

How is the beta?

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Still hanging in there with the beta I see. I could not take it any more. Here's hoping to beta #2 so I can switch back to my iPhone... :eek:
Yeah, unfortunately I never wanted a smart phone until the iPhone came out so I don't have all the cool backup phones like you. Blackberry just didn't interest me enough, plus I really liked my nokia UIs. I think the only cell phone I've used that has a better UI than my nokia phones is the iPhone. Then my last phone before getting the iPhone was the SLVR, which would be an okay backup phone, but it died shortly after getting the 3G, thanks moto! :eek:

So now I just have my g/f's old samsung from like 3 years ago or something, so I'll take my chances with the beta. :p Plus I think I'm having better luck with it than you were so.

Hmm, I see audio controls on the lock screen now for the iPod...very nice. Summer is so far away ;(

How is the beta?
The audio controls are in the current version. When in the lock screen just double tap the home button to bring them up. The difference now is shows you Album and Artist, where the current just shows the song. Funny such a small thing, but that song only would get on my nerves because I have a lot of music and sometimes forget which album a song is off, so this is handy.

I like the beta, it does have it's random slow downs, but overall I'm pretty impressed for the first beta and think it will improve quickly as they release updates.

Last edited:

srdesch

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
A2DP in Mono too?

2009/03/19/iphone-30-a2dp-first-impressions

So after I got my Motorola S9-HD charged up last night I started testing it out....

Do you know if we will be able to listen to music on NON-STEREO bluetooth headsets? I have a Plantronics Voyager 520 and wouldn't mind listening in MONO while I work. I used to do this on my old Motorola SLVR.

Thanks!
Steve

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Steve, that's a good question. The only other bluetooth headset I have now is a one ear/mic that I got for my PS3. It still works on the iPhone like it did before to make calls, but does not give me the option to use it to listen to the iPod. I would think (hope) if whatever you have works with the iPod app now it should continue to work after the update, but I really can't confirm that.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Yeah, I think it will get better, but it really isn't that bad right now. It's just when I compare it to the stock wired ones it's not quite as good.

I like them too although at first they felt a bit awkward, but after wearing them for a little while I got used to them. I also like that it feels like they won't pop up if I actually decide to do some exercise with them on.

cre8tivspirit

Dec 30, 2008
Visit site
Question.....Will this only work with iPod music on the phone or will it work with other apps, like Pandora Radio. I love my Pandora Radio app.

Jeffdc5#IM

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
i love a2dp since apple made it that iphone 3g cant charge and play music with my carls ipod plug i can finally stream musoc while the phone is plugged into a car charger. i love using this on my nokias. the iphone might end up being my full time phone if apple keeps dropping the updates on us.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for sharing... I wouldn't use this feature. Like Ash said, battery life is already precious. Hear's to hoping I can get my hands on the beta.

Copy -n- Paste :-/

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
I love A2DP. so happy this feature is here. Why all the whinning about battery life? Use a charger. As a solar panel installer/ electrician, I usually plug my phone in on the charger in the morning. Once my Stereo Bluetooth headset dies, then I switch over to my corded set. I usually make it to 2pm before my moto s9hds die.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
I use my incase power slider and get double the battery life. Granted it's a big case though.

I'm itching to get my hands on the mophie juice pack air that comes out soon!

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I'm itching to get my hands on the mophie juice pack air that comes out soon!

I have the current mophie for 3G and it's pretty thick too, but sometimes it's worth it. The weird thing is the air says it's the same thickness as the current mophie on the specs, but I'm guessing it's still thinner b/c it wraps the whole phone like a real case in the air version.

StatCoder

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Motorola S9 only in mono?

So I ordered a Motorola S9 (non HD) after reading the review on this site and have been using it on iPhone 3.0 beta 3. Aside from being a little uncomfortable, I only get audio out of the left side. I think it might be a pairing issue. I have read that the phone/headset pairing is separate from the phone/headphones audio streaming pairing, however, I only see "Motorola S9" in the iPhone Bluetooth menu. Has anyone else been able to make this work? I'm wondering if I just have a hardware problem with the headset. Perhaps it's a bluetooth firmware issue with the iPhone. Thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR