What's this iphone i keep hearing about?

Bajanbastard

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Hello everyone. Never thought i'd be posting here but here goes my little story.

Been a hardcore RIM smartphone user since i got my 8100 as i gift from my dad in 2006. Moved on to a 8320 then 9000 (shortly) now own a 9530 and 8900. Never even considered owning an iphone, always thought it was a cool device but not suited for my needs. I was told it didn't have push email and can't multitask like a berry can. Now been reading about this 3.0 update its getting and it's got some nice features that sound pretty cool like shake to undo C&P etc and i'm thinking maybe i should get one.

My question is will i like it with my past device history? I know its a question YOU can't answer per se but i'm looking for opinions. News about the 3.0 update has a few berry owners pretty worked up so i figure something must be great about it. LOL!

Thanks.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
There are many other ex-BB users around here lately. Which is great! I have a Bold along with my iPhone but the iPhone is my main phone. Hands down I feel the iPhone is overall a better phone but like you said, only you will know for sure. I don't think you'd be disappointed at all.

DRLyman

Jan 20, 2009
www.LymanPhoto.com
Hello everyone. Never thought i'd be posting here but here goes my little story.

Been a hardcore RIM smartphone user since i got my 8100 as i gift from my dad in 2006. Moved on to a 8320 then 9000 (shortly) now own a 9530 and 8900. Never even considered owning an iphone, always thought it was a cool device but not suited for my needs. I was told it didn't have push email and can't multitask like a berry can. Now been reading about this 3.0 update its getting and it's got some nice features that sound pretty cool like shake to undo C&P etc and i'm thinking maybe i should get one.

My question is will i like it with my past device history? I know its a question YOU can't answer per se but i'm looking for opinions. News about the 3.0 update has a few berry owners pretty worked up so i figure something must be great about it. LOL!

Thanks.

I thought I recognized that name :)

I say try it out and see how you like it. You can always take it back within 30 days if it isn't for you. That being said, I think you will end up keeping it. I also have a Storm, but use the iPhone as my main phone. About a week ago I deactivated the Storm and switched it to an old LG that I have. I figure if RIM finally gets their act together and fixes the Storm, maybe sometime later I may try it again. I really don't see this happening, though.

Bajanbastard

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Yeah well i don't have that advantage you guys in the US have to 'try before you buy' if i get one i'll have to either like it or have to sell it. I'm not limited by carriers though thank goodness. I'm still thinking about it but i just need a little nudge in the right direction i guess. All i've known is RIM devices for the past 3 years.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Yeah well i don't have that advantage you guys in the US have to 'try before you buy' if i get one i'll have to either like it or have to sell it. I'm not limited by carriers though thank goodness. I'm still thinking about it but i just need a little nudge in the right direction i guess. All i've known is RIM devices for the past 3 years.

An iPhone would be a much welcomed experience then I'd say... RIM devices can be a bit boring.

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
As a former Palm Treo user (FWIW), I think my iphone is not only the best devce I've ever owned, but it's also the most *productive* one as well. I thought I'd miss my Treos PIM suite, but thanks to the App. Store, there's always new productivity apps coming out. Go for it, I say.

The_Shawn

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site

Thanks.

lol... i'm in the same boat as you, been a BB user for a while, and really like them, but want a touch screen phone, since the rumour mill is now saying Rogers won't be getting the storm 9520, or leaning that way anyways. I figured I'll give it some more time, and then if nothing is happening then I'll pick up an Iphone, the problem I have is that there are still a few missing features. The main one being gmail push. Been reading here now to see what others think. The problem being that there seem to be a lot of people that think that the Iphone is god's gift and if there are features not on it, then people don't need them, because Apple can do no wrong. I don't get that mentality.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
lol... i'm in the same boat as you, been a BB user for a while, and really like them, but want a touch screen phone, since the rumour mill is now saying Rogers won't be getting the storm 9520, or leaning that way anyways. I figured I'll give it some more time, and then if nothing is happening then I'll pick up an Iphone, the problem I have is that there are still a few missing features. The main one being gmail push. Been reading here now to see what others think. The problem being that there seem to be a lot of people that think that the Iphone is god's gift and if there are features not on it, then people don't need them, because Apple can do no wrong. I don't get that mentality.

I like the fact that there are many Ex BlackBerry users switching to iPhones and love them a lot more than their old Berries... I think that bothers some hardcore BB users because they really think their devices can do no wrong. Yes, I have a BlackBerry as well but no I do not think it can compare to the iPhone. Especially after this 3.0 update.

And the "gods gift" thing was kinda funny since it's always the BB users getting bent out of shape over the iPhone... hmm :rolleyes:

*One more thing, Storm = Junk. Yes, I've had one of those too.

Last edited:

Bajanbastard

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
As much as i love the BB vs iphone 'war' thats going on if you really look at it the devices compliment each other quite well i would think. Yeah i was waiting on the 9520 as well, bummer huh? I like my Storm but i'm tired to going back and fourth with the OS leaks etc. I must have wiped and re-installed different OS about 4 dozen times and I'm literally just tired of it.

My buddy has an ipod touch and it's pretty sweet.

DRLyman

Jan 20, 2009
www.LymanPhoto.com
I like my Storm but i'm tired to going back and fourth with the OS leaks etc. I must have wiped and re-installed different OS about 4 dozen times and I'm literally just tired of it.

Same here. It's been 4 months now, c'mon RIM. Every beta that I had installed just ended up introducing different problems. I guess you could argue that since they are betas, we shouldn't have them, though. I have been noticing more and more people getting frustrated on CrackBerry with the Storm. That says something about that phone.

Sethkj

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
Me too, I had an 8310 Curve for about a year and then switched over to the iPhone. I actually thought I wouldn't like the touchscreen keyboard, as I'm used to the buttons. Like everyone else says - it takes some times to get some use to. Now that with the new OS 3.0 coming out, I'll be able to have all my features I want on my iPhone. (with the exception of Video Recording, etc). I'm still trying to decide weather I want the white one or the black one. I have until tomorrow.. but then again I wouldn't want to pay the 10% restocking fee.

Okay I'll stop rambling.. :)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Me too, I had an 8310 Curve for about a year and then switched over to the iPhone. I actually thought I wouldn't like the touchscreen keyboard, as I'm used to the buttons. Like everyone else says - it takes some times to get some use to. Now that with the new OS 3.0 coming out, I'll be able to have all my features I want on my iPhone. (with the exception of Video Recording, etc). I'm still trying to decide weather I want the white one or the black one. I have until tomorrow.. but then again I wouldn't want to pay the 10% restocking fee.

Okay I'll stop rambling.. :)

If you hate fingerprints... go White. :)

kevsftv

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi. Had a BB for ten years and loved it. Switched to IP last August and I have to say, it does almost everything I want and need. However, there is one thing that will probably make me switch back to a BB.

I am having a problem getting the iphone to show me the mail in my sub-folders.

It shows me all of the email in the inbox but not any of the sub-folders.

Anyone have any advice on this.

My hosting service says its a Microsoft activesync issue and they want $59 just to read my email.

Iphone offers no solutions either.

CarlyLyon

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
simple---- business probably blackberry b/c you can do some more business stuff better... casual phone user/ tech junkie---------iphone i fall into the latter lol

union83

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
i went from a pearl to a curve and was anxiously awaiting the bold. i was an iphone-hater; as all i heard was that it was a gimmick and not for true business functionality. when the ipod touch was released, i figured it'd be nice to have 1 device for phone/email/music needs. i switched to iphone and have never looked back. as a project manager, i'm on the road or at a construction site 80 percent of my day. my iphone serves my business and email needs without a problem! the app store...well that just sets it above anything else!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods