do you think apple will ever make a phone with a keypad?

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
JP, I am not an IT guy, but I think it has to do with the "way" info is transmitted thru the device and to/from the server. (ie.BES) Someone much smarter than me will have to give a better explanation. :eek: The iPhone went a long way with Business People when it supported M$ Exchange servers and got "remote wipe" like a BB in case it was lost.

johnpalley

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
JP, I am not an IT guy, but I think it has to do with the "way" info is transmitted thru the device and to/from the server. (ie.BES) Someone much smarter than me will have to give a better explanation. :eek: The iPhone went a long way with Business People when it supported M$ Exchange servers and got "remote wipe" like a BB in case it was lost.

would i be right in saying its harder to tap in to emails of blackberry users than iphone users? the info is more private? if anyone knows more about this please post.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
You know, instead of a physical keyboard, how about giving users an option of using a graffiti style place to write letters instead of using a keyboard. I know with the Palm Zire, I got pretty fast at writing things with graffiti - I wonder how that would compare (speed wise) with using a virtual keyboard.

The benefit would be that the area that the keyboard currently takes up could be the "writing" area.

Chris

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
How would you input the grafiti? A stylus? iPhone is pretty anti stylus. Not to mention I don't know how well one works with the capacitove touch screen.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
Does it takes less effort to gesture a graffiti character than single tap a keyboard key? It seems typing a keyboard would be magnitudes more efficient.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
iPhone 3.0 ads Arabic, Greek, Hebrew, Thai, etc. keyboards.

How would you do that with a BlackBerry Bold? Make a different model with different keys for those (and other non-Roman) regions? Pry off the little tic-tacs and swap them out?

You also can't get rid of the keyboard when you're not using it.

There are arguments every way. Each has advantages and disadvantages.

Not all businesses are the same either, some aren't even messaging-based, so iPhone can go many places that the BlackBerry may not fit.

Still *lots* of room to grow.

It's the software :)

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Does it takes less effort to gesture a graffiti character than single tap a keyboard key? It seems typing a keyboard would be magnitudes more efficient.

I don't know if it is or not - that's what I am asking.

I got pretty fast with using graffiti on the palm.

While I am okay with the iPhone keyboard, I don't feel like I am as fast on that as I was with a real keypad. I suspect I was just as fast with graffiti as with the iPhone keypad....but I am not sure.

It would certainly be a different way to go. And it might address some of the problems people have with a virtual keypad.

Chris

Shelia_denise

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
i like the iphone alot but i wont buy one because its touch screen and i like verizons network. if apple came out with a device similar to the blackberry with a keypad i would buy one immediately! do they have any plans in the future to come out with this? does anybody think they wil sometime?

Do you think apple will ever come out with an iphone with an sliding keyboard?:eek:

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
I think never. Since Steve Jobs took over Apple years ago, he has insisted on Apple shipping fewer products. One with a keyboard would fragment the iPhone experience product line.
Besides, once I got used to the iPhone on screen keyboard, I have never had a desire to go back to a physical keyboard. Though, the Palm Treo keyboard still to this day remains the best I ever used.

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
You can buy cases that have Bluetooth keyboards built in for reasonable. Don't know how well they work or how long the battery life is but it is possible to have a physical keyboard on an iphone

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You can buy cases that have Bluetooth keyboards built in for reasonable. Don't know how well they work or how long the battery life is but it is possible to have a physical keyboard on an iphone

It works well from what I've seen, however, it totally kills the battery life so ya better have a charger near by.

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site

I bought a refurb Apple bluetooth keyboard at Overstock a few weeks ago. I got it for my iPad, (and it really isn't so practical) but I took it, and my iPhone, to a meeting where I expected to take some notes and it worked GREAT and was nice and light and fit in my purse better than the iPad would have. I love it. Like all Apple things, it is just beautiful and perfect.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen