Votes: 48 69.6%
  • No

Votes: 21 30.4%

• Total voters

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm with BadAsh77 .. for the same reasoning.. there would need to be new software, different/more than what they introduced yesterday

I'm not upset though as I've had my 16GB only for about 2 months..

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I'm with BadAsh77 .. for the same reasoning.. there would need to be new software, different/more than what they introduced yesterday

I don't see this as the main reason though. They didn't want to talk about any iPhone hardware at this event so they could have purposely left out features that would require this, such as background applications. They could always add more features to the 3.0 firmware prior to the release of a 3rd gen iPhone.

Also, the Rose diggnation video, he says something like, no background apps, but they will come at some point. He seemed to hesitate so maybe he knows more and doesn't want to give it all away yet.

With that said, I still don't feel confident anymore that we will see a new iPhone this year. I think they could break their normal cycle and release one before June of 2010 though.

legendofdon

Dec 19, 2008
Visit site
I don't think there will be a new iPhone this summer. I think they'll wait until next year when the early 3G adopter's contracts are up. I think the fact that MMS and A2DP will not work on the original iPhone is just a ploy by Apple to get those original iPhone owners to upgrade to the 3G and spend that extra $10/mo. on data.

I will still be waiting until July to see if I'm wrong and a new iPhone does come out, but even if I'm right, I'll still be buying a 3G. 3.0 has given the iPhone everything I kept my BlackBerry for.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I think the fact that MMS and A2DP will not work on the original iPhone is just a ploy by Apple to get those original iPhone owners to upgrade to the 3G and spend that extra $10/mo. on data.
Possible, but I think a 3G radio and GPS would be enough for most people to want to upgrade. If someone's reason for upgrading is to get MMS and not 3G and GPS...well no comment :D

rknowlt

Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
I think we will still be seeing a new iphone release this summer. This event seemed to be more about filling in the holes in the current phone, not about showing off the new things. I think the next event will show new hardware, with new features that are exclusive to that hardware being shown at the same time.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
It is kind of hard to see why they would need new hardware for anything in the 3.0 software. With so much new stuff it is nearly like getting a brand new phone. Really the only things they need hardware changes for are video recording (probably add a memory card slot for video storage since they say it kills the NAND Flash in the iPhone) and a better/faster/multi-core processor for background processes. But judging from the way Apple talked about those things lately I don't see it happening.

More likely is a 2.5 generation iPhone and minor changes to the iPhone 3G. Change the back to matte finish and increase storage capacities.

This would also be good for me because then by the time the real new iPhone comes out in 2010 I will be ready to upgrade from AT&T.

LionInAComa

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I would say yes, especially for the reasoning that original 1st Gen Iphone owners contracts are coming to an end. They are gonna need something, more so than the 3G to entice people to stick with Apple, even ATT for that matter.

LionInAComa

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
also just saw this posted at BGR, looks like they are getting ready to clear out inventory:

well nm I can't post links but it is the first story up at boy genius report

Jeffdc5#IM

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I don't see much more they can do right now that won't make the phone cost a fortune not a good idea right now there won't be a mass frenzy like the last two launches

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Oh, another reason for not releasing a new iPhone in June/July '09...

iPods are in complete control of Apple, but iPhones have to do with Apple and cellular carriers around the world. So maybe there is no point in upgrading the iPhone until the new 4G networks are deployed worldwide...maybe by June/July of 2010? This is actually the main reason I've turned to the Bad Ash side of things :D

Oh, this would also make the new name for the 3rd gen iPhone easier and what a lot of non technical people are calling it...iPhone 4G :)

Funny, 2g iPhone = 3G network and then 3g iPhone = 4G network :)

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Personally, I'm not crazy about the prospect of having to upgrade/change my phone every year...every 2 years, fine, but annually? Gets kinds pricey. And the 3G hadn't even reached it's full potential (3.0 hasn't arrived yet). But that's just me. Of course, if a new one DOES ship this summer, I'll look at the specs/features and see if it's worth upgrading. Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy with my current 3G model (right now).

ptb6744#IM

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I just bought a 16 GB iPhone on 3/1/09... I am pumped for the software update.. I don't think a new iPhone would be out this year. Maybe they will expand the memory of the current one around the middle of October. I think a new iPhone with new hardware will come out in 2010. If I really thought a new iPhone was coming out this summer, I wouldn't have purchased this phone recently.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
1st gen IPhone owner here

I too, was trying to hold off from buying the 3G IPhone but I have to agree. After watching the Keynote I think there is no new phone coming down the pipeline this year. so I am off to get that new baby on friday!!:rolleyes:

ptb6744#IM

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I dont think people will run to their AT&T stores with them charging 599 and 699 for the phones with no commitment. You can find them cheaper on ebay.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2