View Poll Results: Will there be a 3rd gen iPhone in 2009?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

48 69.57%
  • No

21 30.43%
    I think we will still be seeing a new iphone release this summer. This event seemed to be more about filling in the holes in the current phone, not about showing off the new things. I think the next event will show new hardware, with new features that are exclusive to that hardware being shown at the same time.
    03-18-2009 01:08 PM
    It is kind of hard to see why they would need new hardware for anything in the 3.0 software. With so much new stuff it is nearly like getting a brand new phone. Really the only things they need hardware changes for are video recording (probably add a memory card slot for video storage since they say it kills the NAND Flash in the iPhone) and a better/faster/multi-core processor for background processes. But judging from the way Apple talked about those things lately I don't see it happening.

More likely is a 2.5 generation iPhone and minor changes to the iPhone 3G. Change the back to matte finish and increase storage capacities.

This would also be good for me because then by the time the real new iPhone comes out in 2010 I will be ready to upgrade from AT&T.
    03-18-2009 01:38 PM
    I would say yes, especially for the reasoning that original 1st Gen Iphone owners contracts are coming to an end. They are gonna need something, more so than the 3G to entice people to stick with Apple, even ATT for that matter.
    03-18-2009 02:40 PM
    also just saw this posted at BGR, looks like they are getting ready to clear out inventory:

well nm I can't post links but it is the first story up at boy genius report
    03-18-2009 02:59 PM
    I don't see much more they can do right now that won't make the phone cost a fortune not a good idea right now there won't be a mass frenzy like the last two launches
    03-18-2009 03:18 PM
    I guess I might need to start convincing myself to wait until 2010 then if this would only be something like 2.5
    03-18-2009 03:21 PM
    Oh, another reason for not releasing a new iPhone in June/July '09...

iPods are in complete control of Apple, but iPhones have to do with Apple and cellular carriers around the world. So maybe there is no point in upgrading the iPhone until the new 4G networks are deployed worldwide...maybe by June/July of 2010? This is actually the main reason I've turned to the Bad Ash side of things

Oh, this would also make the new name for the 3rd gen iPhone easier and what a lot of non technical people are calling it...iPhone 4G

Funny, 2g iPhone = 3G network and then 3g iPhone = 4G network
    03-18-2009 04:40 PM
    Personally, I'm not crazy about the prospect of having to upgrade/change my phone every year...every 2 years, fine, but annually? Gets kinds pricey. And the 3G hadn't even reached it's full potential (3.0 hasn't arrived yet). But that's just me. Of course, if a new one DOES ship this summer, I'll look at the specs/features and see if it's worth upgrading. Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy with my current 3G model (right now).
    03-18-2009 05:34 PM
    I just bought a 16 GB iPhone on 3/1/09... I am pumped for the software update.. I don't think a new iPhone would be out this year. Maybe they will expand the memory of the current one around the middle of October. I think a new iPhone with new hardware will come out in 2010. If I really thought a new iPhone was coming out this summer, I wouldn't have purchased this phone recently.
    03-18-2009 05:41 PM
    What do you make of the BGR rumor of ATT no contract price for phones? Clearing out inventory b/c of a new iPhone 3rd gen?

AT&T bringin’ sexy back, offering iPhone 3G at no-commitment price, no activation : Boy Genius Report
    03-18-2009 05:51 PM
    Did AT&T do the same thing last year?
    03-18-2009 06:14 PM
    Did AT&T do the same thing last year?
    Not that I know of? But what do I know?
    03-18-2009 06:16 PM
    I remember around april you couldn't find a new 2g iPhone from AT&T or apple
    03-18-2009 07:09 PM
    I too, was trying to hold off from buying the 3G IPhone but I have to agree. After watching the Keynote I think there is no new phone coming down the pipeline this year. so I am off to get that new baby on friday!!
    03-18-2009 11:13 PM
    I dont think people will run to their AT&T stores with them charging 599 and 699 for the phones with no commitment. You can find them cheaper on ebay.
    03-19-2009 03:05 AM
    I dont think people will run to their AT&T stores with them charging 599 and 699 for the phones with no commitment. You can find them cheaper on ebay.
    True, but there is a market for them that is willing to pay even more for new iPhones out of contract so you never know. Plus it doesn't seem like they will be able to track who gets the phones with great detail and maybe they just don't care?
    03-19-2009 03:07 AM
    I think we can expect a new phone, but it may be mostly cosmetic, i.e. up the camera, better battery, brighter screen, metal back etc. You have to expect it to become a "green" phone like the macbooks.
    03-19-2009 09:44 AM
    No, at least not a true iPhone HD with multicores.

I expect at least 32gb iPhone, but not a real next gen device. Although, then again it doesn't really need to be the iPhone HD to be the 3 gen iPhone. A OLED screen and a better camera would suffice!
    03-19-2009 10:55 AM
    just saw a post on BGR, can't post links yet here's the story:

A report this morning from Australian tech magazine Smarthouse suggests Apple may have selected a series of OLED displays for its next round of handset and netbook screens. According to an unnamed source within the company, initial fruits of the companys newly awarded display contract with LG will be an entirely new set of OLED screens that will make their way into Apples upcoming iPhone and iPod Touch models, as well as a new and often-rumored Apple netbook. The move would certainly go a great length to help somewhat lackluster battery performance, especially considering the variety of added battery-sucking features that were announced at Apples 3.0 event this past Tuesday. So what do you guys think about the possibility of a sexy new capacitive OLED display on the inevitable iPhone / iPod Touch models due in June or July?
    03-19-2009 11:29 AM
    So what do you guys think about the possibility of a sexy new capacitive OLED display on the inevitable iPhone / iPod Touch models due in June or July?
    Not sure about that, but in this case I would really really like to be wrong
    03-19-2009 11:34 AM
    Ok, if I've been wrong, I've been wrong... new iPhone announcement in June? Or is this a new lower end device? I like going against the grain sometimes. Makes things interesting. Either way I will say there will not be a physical keyboard...

*After going over the list one more time it's obvious to me that none of the things listed are really anything that we have not heard of before... and coming from someone at AT&T does not give me any more confidence. I dunno...
    Last edited by Jeremy Sikora; 03-23-2009 at 02:20 PM.
    03-23-2009 01:28 PM
    Ok, if I've been wrong, I've been wrong...
    You're wrong, you'll see
    03-23-2009 06:59 PM
    You're wrong, you'll see
    Make sure you keep reading my post... Promise that you will see nothing major... Like I've said all along. (Rene, Dieter, or you will not change my mind but if I am wrong I'll be the first one in line at my local store on day one.)
    03-23-2009 08:16 PM
    I still think the software will be the big part of this. More storage and better camera, that's it...
    03-23-2009 09:00 PM
    I still think the software will be the big part of this. More storage and better camera, that's it...
    I think if they just do a small bump it will ONLY be to 16GB and 32GB. If they do a camera or some other small thing they would wait and group them together in one big hardware update. Doesn't make sense to me to change the fine tuned 9 month in the running iPhone 3G manufacturing process too add just a camera.
    03-23-2009 09:06 PM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD