Votes: 141 91.0%
  • No...

Votes: 14 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hiimhenryyy

Mar 12, 2009
www.henrybayuzick.com
I am extremely happy about the features. I was anxiously sitting in class all day today, just to check what was released!

Can anyone share more info/answer a few questions for me?

1. Does anyone know a real release date?
2. New iPhone or just a software update?

I'd love to know!

Apple really knows how to get people excited.

I'm stoked.

nicoff

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site
iPhone 3.0 (finally) = Treo 650

Well, a Treo 650 that is what I have now. I bought an iPhone (1.0) long ago and returned it because of lack of Cut/Paste and Global Search.
Now that the iPhone does those two functions that I use all the time (plus other stuff), the dilemma is whether I should wait for the Pre or buy the new iPhone 3.0 and try it out.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
I am extremely happy about the features. I was anxiously sitting in class all day today, just to check what was released!

Can anyone share more info/answer a few questions for me?

1. Does anyone know a real release date?
2. New iPhone or just a software update?

I'd love to know!

Apple really knows how to get people excited.

I'm stoked.

1. All we know is "summer"
1. This event was to announce the new software. If there will be a new iPhone, it has not yet been announced.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Hell yes...

Aside from video recording, bbm (which is near impossible and will probably never happen) and the long hold (Summer! which can mean August), I got everything I wanted.

hiimhenryyy

Mar 12, 2009
www.henrybayuzick.com
1. All we know is "summer"
1. This event was to announce the new software. If there will be a new iPhone, it has not yet been announced.

Thank you for the reply. I'd love a new iPhone to come out, but it'd be nice for it to just be a software update (Only got mine in December, and bought it full price, $421 total). Maybe they'll release a new iPhone, and have the software update cost money?

I'm stillll super psyched.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
Well, a Treo 650 that is what I have now. I bought an iPhone (1.0) long ago and returned it because of lack of Cut/Paste and Global Search.
Now that the iPhone does those two functions that I use all the time (plus other stuff), the dilemma is whether I should wait for the Pre or buy the new iPhone 3.0 and try it out.
I wouldn't bother with the iPhone and go straight to the Pre. I think Pre has some better features such as cloud syncing contacts across multiple providers and true background apps.

I'll stick with iPhone because I've "invested" so much in to it as far as apps and work flow so that it's doing what I need and it will be hard for Pre to replace all of the little things right away. I'll watch Pre, and as dev support and apps increase, I'll possibly move over to it eventually. But not right away, I'd shoot myself in the foot.

But if you're picking a new platform, I don't see a reason to go with iPhone which appears to be somewhat inferior including what may come in the future. Video recording is a major major major glaring omission to the iPhone platform.

But of course it depends. If iPhone has some cool features that you're dying to have, you go with whichever works. Each will have DIFFERENT strengths going forward.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
I say "meh" to landscape keyboard. It seems that when I try to use landscape keyboard there isn't enough room on the screen to access edit text. It's fine for short text fields, but if you're writing paragraphs I can never get to the part of the text that I want in landscape.

The important things here is background push, copy/paste. The search feature sounds good.

I really wished they had revised the home screen layout. This flat multiple pages of icons isn't working. They need categories or folders or something.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I say "meh" to landscape keyboard. It seems that when I try to use landscape keyboard there isn't enough room on the screen to access edit text. It's fine for short text fields, but if you're writing paragraphs I can never get to the part of the text that I want in landscape.

The important things here is background push, copy/paste. The search feature sounds good.

I really wished they had revised the home screen layout. This flat multiple pages of icons isn't working. They need categories or folders or something.

I definitely agree with most, but the home screen is fine to me. I don't have millions of apps... in fact, I don't even have 3 full pages. Each of my 3 have at least one row missing.

grassfeeder

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
I wasn't shocked to see all the refurb 16gig 3g models fly out of the ATT store right after the conference.....

Too bad for me, I need one being a 1gen owner and craving MMS.

Overall, I wasn't sure what to expect however I'm glad we're getting some consumer worthy features.....

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
I also crave the MMS as a 1st gen iPhone owner...but I'm upgrading to whatever is available this "summer"! So I won't complain too much. I do love the CCP and pretty much everything else that was announced, so overall I'm happy with the announcements!

JNGold

Sep 12, 2006
Visit site
Wow! Apple demonstrated transferring blood glucose from a test machine to the iPhone! As a Diabetic, that is cool. Can't do that with WM!

As a smartphone user, the addition of cut/paste and background notifications are just enough to now consider the iPhone as a platform I might switch to after 8 years of WM!

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
oh except the one thing I don't particularly care for is "subscriptions" for apps. Don't like that one bit, can't see myself paying monthly for any app, even turn-by-turn navigation...

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
LOL..i'm not sure i want my iphone monitoring my health.

I think someone made a great point. This subscription business could be bad for us. It totally changes marketing dynamics for app builders. What costs 99 cents may not nearly be its true cost. Same for highly desired apps that may consider monthly charges.

Other than that, i'd only be concerned with lagginess, battery life..especially if no new hardware this year.

The features talked about today were pretty much expected IMO. Next year probably means video rec and multitasking for sure.

Vs the Pre its more even, but there's other factors such as carrier, plans, Pre with its unique features, iphone with its colossal apps and ecosystem. Next summer should be fun too with an improved Pre and multitasking iphone. Competition is good.

jstrickland

Aug 25, 2008
Visit site
Overall, I am very happy with today's announcements. While I haven't really had a need for cut/paste, I know I will when Dataviz finally releases Docs2Go. MMS is nice, but wasn't an absolute necessity.

I am very happy to finally see push. I hope that since one of the benefits of push is the ability for custom notification sounds, that will spill over into custom notifications for different email accounts.

I see a lot of potential with maps. I also am VERY happy about Spotlight. I hadn't even thought of it as something I was wanting. However, as soon as I heard it was included, my mind was flooded with dozens of times when I wished I could search my emails. Woohoo!!!

I am also very happy to see notes synching. I wish a mention had been made about task synching.

I'm not too concerned with true multitasking. I here that it is standard on most smartphones. However, I have only had experience with the iPhone, Treo 650, and a Blackberry (Pearl I think). I don't recall seeing true multitasking on any of these.

I guess the one thing I wish was included was video capture. I had that feature on my Treo 650 and truly miss it. I know it is possible thru jailbreaking, but this phone has to be supported on my corporate network, and jailbroken devices are NOT allowed.

Jeffdc5#IM

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
They gave a lot at one time I'm sure more will come around june if new hardware is released you have to remmember apple is only 2 years into the phone game it will take time for the iphone line to be as big as others apple is always about things working the way its designed not just putting stuff in because they can.

taroliw

Apr 5, 2005
www.billsden.org
Pros: Notification, Copy/Paste, got out of way for turn-by-turn directions, better BT
Cons: Any app improvements? Get out of way of jailbreak (or fully open API)?

I list cons mostly because there was so much NOT said during the announcement that is difficult to gauge exactly how much has improved as a whole. The stuff they showed were mostly platform layer and cross-application enhancements. And while they are appreciated, we are left wondering whether the Mailbox/Contacts/Calendar UIs have improved. What about the anemic Camera app (one reason I jailbreak and for video too)?

I've gotten tired of new release mania to build any hope for such improvements (hence "cons"), but I have a fear that we're going to be hoping for 3.1 and 3.2 even before 3.0 actually launches. As I have spent a long time in the software industry, I know there are always tradeoffs to be made... such is life. So I guess we'll be happy getting some of what we wanted (but things like copy/paste? uh... did we really need to put that on a wish list?) but there are still going to be some gaping holes.

My hope is that this will open more doors to getting other improvements further down the road. My biggest desire is to eliminate the need for jailbreaking. I was glad to hear that there are 1000 new APIs -- or, rather, APIs (AppStore) developers can access now in the SDK that they couldn't before. But how many more are left out of reach? It is a good sign that they are permitting more direct interaction with hardware though... so maybe we will be pleasantly surprised after all.

But again... not holding my breath.

Stevie No-Wonder

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
I say "meh" to landscape keyboard.

Finally, someone else who gets it! I make more mistakes in one sentence using landscape than I make in an entire paragraph using portrait.

Landscape is for people who are afraid to type fast and trust the keyboard... plus, it requires far more finger (thumb) movement. Makes no sense. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner