View Poll Results: Happy with iPhone 3.0 features?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes...

142 91.03%
  • No...

14 8.97%
    video recording and gmail push would make it excellent.
    03-22-2009 10:33 PM
    Will those 9 people that voted no please stand up?
    Exactly what I was just thinking, I was looking for those 10 people who voted they are not happy. Leads me to believe it may just have been some trolls. I honestly feel Apple has given everything they possible can give with the current hardware setup in the iPhone 3G.
    Last edited by Jeremy Sikora; 03-23-2009 at 11:22 PM.
    03-23-2009 08:13 PM
    Exactly what I was just thinking, I was looking for those 10 people who voted they are not happy. Leads me to believe it may just have been some trolls. I honestly feel Apple has given everything they possible can give with the current hardware setup in the iPhone 3G.
    Found some:
    scaliasphone
    gjlowe
    sting7k

and a possible:
    taylorh
    Last edited by Jeremy Sikora; 03-23-2009 at 11:23 PM.
    03-23-2009 11:18 PM
    I am a new iPhone user and have been around the block more than a few times with other phones. I was with Sprint and owned all their BB's, All the Treos, the instinct, the centro and pretty much any other PDA/Smartphone they offered. I went through 32 phones in the matter of 2 1/2 years. I just never found a phone I was truely happy with. The OS's systems would lag (WMO), they didnt offer good 3rd party apps (Palm), or they down right sucked (Instinct). iPhone 3g is by far the best I have experienced and with this new update it is going to do pretty much everything. I just wish the battery would last a little bit longer.

What is the benefit of Java support?

Why is video so important?

Anyone experience 3.0 yet? How is the battery and signal?
    03-24-2009 01:09 PM
    Found some:
    scaliasphone
    gjlowe
    sting7k

and a possible:
    taylorh
    I voted that I was happy, I may not use a lot of the features that many people have been moaning about for almost 2 years and I am not into being nickel and dimed at every turn in the app store. But I like the effort and time Apple is putting into the software, they clearly have heard a lot of the feedback and are responding.
    03-24-2009 01:37 PM
    Found some:
    scaliasphone
    gjlowe
    sting7k

and a possible:
    taylorh
    Yeah, I'm not at all a Troll.
    But I am not at all a blindly following fanboy either.

I honestly don't remember which way I voted or why. If I was to vote today I'd say "yes." Apple has done more to improve an EXISTING phone than any other phone maker I've seen in the past. You usually have to buy a completely new model. No one has ever given me so much in a software update for an existing phone.

If I did vote no, it was an emotional reaction to something that initially disappointed me during the conference, something I've since gotten over after pondering the bigger picture over the last week.

I'm particularly pleased with some features that I was not at all expecting. In fact I though Apple was in total denial against even needing such enhancements. But this renews faith that in the conference rooms they're at least having the right discussions and have the eye on the ball (and more importantly on the competitors) even in they end up not pursuing everything. After all, the list can only be so long and Apple did a pretty big list for 3.0 in the time frame they had.
    I work for a CE company in software. I know how much work it is to even add 1 feature and Apple is adding a lot of large features at a very fast pace considering what the space their in.
    Some features (MMS, Copy Paste, A2DP stereo) are additions that I not particularly blown away by because I see 3.0 as essentially 'fixing' what a feature that was missing from the start. Welcome features? Yes 200%!, but I fully expected them (or was prepared to move on.)

My biggest fear is that Apple will become complacent with their 'lead' in the iPhone space and succumb to advances such as WebOS and WM7, all due to arrogance and denial of what people really want.
    After all, I like the iPhone (since 2.0 and 3G, dismissed it before that) and want to see Apple kick *** with a new model and new versions. If the new hardware rumors are even half true, I'm ready to line up in June/July all over again.
    It seems they are doing about as good a job as they can without releasing completely broken crap on us.

There are one or two things that I would have like to see in 3.0. A bit disappointed. But over all the good outweighs the bad.

Now I remember. I voted YES, even though my post was not so enthusiastic.
    Last edited by taylorh; 03-24-2009 at 02:39 PM.
    03-24-2009 02:32 PM
    I'm pretty happy. There's just a few things Apple needs to do and I wouldn't even see the need to jailbreak. Allow themes, live streaming, video recording. Now I know that live streaming seems to have the most potential, but we can all wish!

Wireless syncing (if the Zune can do it, I'm sure Apple could whip something up with Bonjour) and a manual EQ would be nice too.
    Last edited by Reaktor5; 03-26-2009 at 02:38 AM.
    03-26-2009 02:36 AM
    The only thing I really wanted that is not there has to do with Pocket Informant and the Calendar database. I was hoping PI would be able to have access to the calendar database so I can use PI to make appointments and sync OTA with my exchange.

I really stocked about spotlight, although all the remarks about spotlight and email search have said, header and subject info, no ability to search the body. I hope that is not the case. I'd even like the ability to change the sort columns of the mail program....sort by sender, sort by subject, etc.
    03-27-2009 09:03 AM
    happy becuase we can now send pictures.
    03-27-2009 10:01 AM
    I voted that I was happy, I may not use a lot of the features that many people have been moaning about for almost 2 years and I am not into being nickel and dimed at every turn in the app store. But I like the effort and time Apple is putting into the software, they clearly have heard a lot of the feedback and are responding.
    Nothing like that... I believe Ash was referring to those that voted, but did not post; at least that was my interpretation. As long as you have your (just) reasons, I would never consider it trolling.

Edit: The answer you chose will be italicized.
    Last edited by Duvi; 03-27-2009 at 11:23 AM.
    03-27-2009 10:57 AM
    I voted I was happy, but my biggest concern is as sting7K said, the cost of apps will increase.

I mean, the actual price might not go up, but what you may get for the app is less.

When I buy an app now for $.99, the features or levels may be considered add-ins that will cost extra in iPhone 3.0. To use an example, what if Zombieville USA only had the handgun and shotgun. To get the machine gun, bazooka, and chainsaw items you needed to spend another $1.99 in the app (or something like that).

I suspect we will not see apps decrease in price and then offer the extra, but rather than apps will remain the same price, and things we have now (items, levels, etc) will now be considered extra and cost more.

Chris
    03-27-2009 11:03 AM
    I'm fairly happy with what ought to have been in both current versions also. It's, of course, pure capitalism that things like cut/copy & paste were left out last time. Same goes for MMS.

I haven't seen any improvements re push email. I don't really need it, as I have my trusty BlackBerry Bold for that, but still...A couple of accounts I'd like pushed to my iPhone. I understand SEVEN is around?? That was always my favorite for Windows Mobile Treo, such as my Treo Pro.
    03-28-2009 01:55 AM
    Love the phone ... the service not so much.
    03-31-2009 07:31 PM
    I was already on the fence when it came to switching from my Blackberry to an iPhone. The announced 3.0 features and a good deal sealed it for me.
    04-01-2009 04:41 PM
    I was very disatisfied by the ommission of background processes. it's important to me to be able to listen to simplify media or last.fm and maybe compose an email or surf the web. can't do that yet. I was all ready to buy MLB at bat for the game audio but I do not see how I could sit there and just look at that player with all the other things I could be doing on the phone. push notifications for apps are going to be a train wreck until they devise a better notification system. the current pop over is too much when it's limited to SMS and calendar notices. not impressed that is the 'work around' for background processes. I am happy to see the subscriptions for the app store. I don't think it will inflate the costs of apps. it may in fact help lower them. a free app that you can purchase premium content for will be more accessable than a $.99 app is any day. happy to see Bluetooth support, but not that they have left it out of gen 1 phones. they claimed that they were the same hardware just 3g and gps were added. that was either a lie or they want all the original users to re-up their contracts as many will expire around summertime. the lack of video is a big thing. some have wanted to know why that is. it's because it should be standard. everyone knows you get better quality with a devise dedicated to one thing, but you shouldn't have to need to carry 4 gadgets with you for simple tasks. if I want to shoot a quick low res video, knowing that I could do better using a flip, I should have that ability. jailbroke phones can, it's not a hardware limitation. it's a choice apple made for me and that's kinda lousy. to sum it up with the exception of video recording everything announced for 3.0 was something I could have done with my Nokia n-gage back in 2003. it lacked a video camera, but you could connect it to a Bluetooth camera and live stream. I believe that is what the person who said old phones was refering to. apple has almost caught up to the ngage. almost.
    04-02-2009 03:19 AM
    Hey buddy!! So we meet again...So I dumped my Treo Pro (although I still have it for one-click tethering haha) for the iPhone 3G, and, of course, my BlackBerry Bold, so 2 lines.

How've you been?
    04-04-2009 03:10 AM
    On the fence right now. Since the software upgrade my iPhone has froze on me at least once a day. Never did that before the upgrade. Also, I am unable to listen to music in my car when I connect through my usb connector. I get the error message in my audio system, "unsupported version." Kinda annoying since I gave up my XM Radio subscription because I was listening to music from my iPhone.
    04-04-2009 10:47 PM
    @jra511,

Dude, it's a BETA. The original question is about the features, not the stability of the BETA. You shouldn't be using 3.0 as a day-to-day iPhone OS, it's not meant for that, and not ready for that.

Anyone telling non-developers to run 3.0, and any non-devs or testers running 3.0 is crazy and really doing everyone a disservice.
    04-04-2009 11:17 PM
    Instability and beta go hand in hand. Release should not be unstable like that.
    04-04-2009 11:26 PM
    @jra511,

Dude, it's a BETA. The original question is about the features, not the stability of the BETA. You shouldn't be using 3.0 as a day-to-day iPhone OS, it's not meant for that, and not ready for that.

Anyone telling non-developers to run 3.0, and any non-devs or testers running 3.0 is crazy and really doing everyone a disservice.
    And despite hearing this over and over and over and over people seem to not get the message. And despite the repeated warnings everyday I see people complaining about how they upgraded to the 3.0 beta and are furious when it's not the greatest experience of their lives. Smarten up people! Leave the betas to the devs, you can wait a few months for the release of a stable, debugged version!
    04-04-2009 11:48 PM
    For the most part, I like it.
    04-05-2009 12:43 PM
    I'm happy...the only thing i wanted also was video support, so im not sure if moving mms will be supported...guess we will find out
    04-05-2009 01:30 PM
    happy but i expected a little more...
    04-08-2009 09:47 AM
    And despite hearing this over and over and over and over people seem to not get the message. And despite the repeated warnings everyday I see people complaining about how they upgraded to the 3.0 beta and are furious when it's not the greatest experience of their lives. Smarten up people! Leave the betas to the devs, you can wait a few months for the release of a stable, debugged version!
    I think it has to do with how easily available this beta has been. I don't remember 2.0 breaking out like 3.0 has. Either way, I have been using it since day one and I knew I'd have issues. If you don't have another phone I'd say avoid the beta at all costs. With the 2nd beta I can honestly say it is much more stable but it still has it's quirks.

To all of those who said they expected more, what exactly were you looking for?
    04-08-2009 10:24 AM
    I'm very happy with 3.0 features.

I'm not sure what more I'd want from the phone, maybe better battery life in general. So software tweak possibly?

Ooooo, one more thing, I would LOVE to see the camera get tweaked. There should be a native app to change the tone and colors (black and white, sepia, etc.) instead of digging thru the app store and paying for what other cheap camera phones do. And maybe some kind light helper for it when the light is lacking, duh.

The only complain I have is that MMS, Cut Copy Paste Undo, Turn by Turn GPS should have been an INCLUDED feature from the get go.
    04-08-2009 11:16 AM
156 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD