View Poll Results: Happy with iPhone 3.0 features?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes...

142 91.03%
  • No...

14 8.97%
    Well, a Treo 650 that is what I have now. I bought an iPhone (1.0) long ago and returned it because of lack of Cut/Paste and Global Search.
    Now that the iPhone does those two functions that I use all the time (plus other stuff), the dilemma is whether I should wait for the Pre or buy the new iPhone 3.0 and try it out.
    I wouldn't bother with the iPhone and go straight to the Pre. I think Pre has some better features such as cloud syncing contacts across multiple providers and true background apps.

I'll stick with iPhone because I've "invested" so much in to it as far as apps and work flow so that it's doing what I need and it will be hard for Pre to replace all of the little things right away. I'll watch Pre, and as dev support and apps increase, I'll possibly move over to it eventually. But not right away, I'd shoot myself in the foot.

But if you're picking a new platform, I don't see a reason to go with iPhone which appears to be somewhat inferior including what may come in the future. Video recording is a major major major glaring omission to the iPhone platform.

But of course it depends. If iPhone has some cool features that you're dying to have, you go with whichever works. Each will have DIFFERENT strengths going forward.
    03-17-2009 03:22 PM
    I'm pumped for MMS and landscape keyboard the most..

Spotlight also looks very helpful.
    03-17-2009 03:23 PM
    I say "meh" to landscape keyboard. It seems that when I try to use landscape keyboard there isn't enough room on the screen to access edit text. It's fine for short text fields, but if you're writing paragraphs I can never get to the part of the text that I want in landscape.

The important things here is background push, copy/paste. The search feature sounds good.

I really wished they had revised the home screen layout. This flat multiple pages of icons isn't working. They need categories or folders or something.
    03-17-2009 03:26 PM
    Regarding languages, anyone knows what are the new languages being added?
    03-17-2009 03:28 PM
    I say "meh" to landscape keyboard. It seems that when I try to use landscape keyboard there isn't enough room on the screen to access edit text. It's fine for short text fields, but if you're writing paragraphs I can never get to the part of the text that I want in landscape.

The important things here is background push, copy/paste. The search feature sounds good.

I really wished they had revised the home screen layout. This flat multiple pages of icons isn't working. They need categories or folders or something.
    I definitely agree with most, but the home screen is fine to me. I don't have millions of apps... in fact, I don't even have 3 full pages. Each of my 3 have at least one row missing.
    03-17-2009 03:40 PM
    I wasn't shocked to see all the refurb 16gig 3g models fly out of the ATT store right after the conference.....

Too bad for me, I need one being a 1gen owner and craving MMS.

Overall, I wasn't sure what to expect however I'm glad we're getting some consumer worthy features.....
    03-17-2009 03:52 PM
    I also crave the MMS as a 1st gen iPhone owner...but I'm upgrading to whatever is available this "summer"! So I won't complain too much. I do love the CCP and pretty much everything else that was announced, so overall I'm happy with the announcements!
    03-17-2009 05:19 PM
    Wow! Apple demonstrated transferring blood glucose from a test machine to the iPhone! As a Diabetic, that is cool. Can't do that with WM!

As a smartphone user, the addition of cut/paste and background notifications are just enough to now consider the iPhone as a platform I might switch to after 8 years of WM!
    03-17-2009 05:21 PM
    oh except the one thing I don't particularly care for is "subscriptions" for apps. Don't like that one bit, can't see myself paying monthly for any app, even turn-by-turn navigation...
    03-17-2009 05:29 PM
    LOL..i'm not sure i want my iphone monitoring my health.

I think someone made a great point. This subscription business could be bad for us. It totally changes marketing dynamics for app builders. What costs 99 cents may not nearly be its true cost. Same for highly desired apps that may consider monthly charges.

Other than that, i'd only be concerned with lagginess, battery life..especially if no new hardware this year.

The features talked about today were pretty much expected IMO. Next year probably means video rec and multitasking for sure.

Vs the Pre its more even, but there's other factors such as carrier, plans, Pre with its unique features, iphone with its colossal apps and ecosystem. Next summer should be fun too with an improved Pre and multitasking iphone. Competition is good.
    03-17-2009 05:32 PM
    Overall, I am very happy with today's announcements. While I haven't really had a need for cut/paste, I know I will when Dataviz finally releases Docs2Go. MMS is nice, but wasn't an absolute necessity.

I am very happy to finally see push. I hope that since one of the benefits of push is the ability for custom notification sounds, that will spill over into custom notifications for different email accounts.

I see a lot of potential with maps. I also am VERY happy about Spotlight. I hadn't even thought of it as something I was wanting. However, as soon as I heard it was included, my mind was flooded with dozens of times when I wished I could search my emails. Woohoo!!!

I am also very happy to see notes synching. I wish a mention had been made about task synching.

I'm not too concerned with true multitasking. I here that it is standard on most smartphones. However, I have only had experience with the iPhone, Treo 650, and a Blackberry (Pearl I think). I don't recall seeing true multitasking on any of these.

I guess the one thing I wish was included was video capture. I had that feature on my Treo 650 and truly miss it. I know it is possible thru jailbreaking, but this phone has to be supported on my corporate network, and jailbroken devices are NOT allowed.
    03-17-2009 05:58 PM
    Happy? Yes.

Wanting more? Always!
    03-17-2009 06:26 PM
    They gave a lot at one time I'm sure more will come around june if new hardware is released you have to remmember apple is only 2 years into the phone game it will take time for the iphone line to be as big as others apple is always about things working the way its designed not just putting stuff in because they can.
    03-17-2009 06:37 PM
    Pros: Notification, Copy/Paste, got out of way for turn-by-turn directions, better BT
    Cons: Any app improvements? Get out of way of jailbreak (or fully open API)?

I list cons mostly because there was so much NOT said during the announcement that is difficult to gauge exactly how much has improved as a whole. The stuff they showed were mostly platform layer and cross-application enhancements. And while they are appreciated, we are left wondering whether the Mailbox/Contacts/Calendar UIs have improved. What about the anemic Camera app (one reason I jailbreak and for video too)?

I've gotten tired of new release mania to build any hope for such improvements (hence "cons"), but I have a fear that we're going to be hoping for 3.1 and 3.2 even before 3.0 actually launches. As I have spent a long time in the software industry, I know there are always tradeoffs to be made... such is life. So I guess we'll be happy getting some of what we wanted (but things like copy/paste? uh... did we really need to put that on a wish list?) but there are still going to be some gaping holes.

My hope is that this will open more doors to getting other improvements further down the road. My biggest desire is to eliminate the need for jailbreaking. I was glad to hear that there are 1000 new APIs -- or, rather, APIs (AppStore) developers can access now in the SDK that they couldn't before. But how many more are left out of reach? It is a good sign that they are permitting more direct interaction with hardware though... so maybe we will be pleasantly surprised after all.

But again... not holding my breath.
    03-17-2009 08:03 PM
    I say "meh" to landscape keyboard.
    Finally, someone else who gets it! I make more mistakes in one sentence using landscape than I make in an entire paragraph using portrait.

Landscape is for people who are afraid to type fast and trust the keyboard... plus, it requires far more finger (thumb) movement. Makes no sense.
    Last edited by Stevie No-Wonder; 03-17-2009 at 08:21 PM.
    03-17-2009 08:14 PM
    As I posted in the comments from the blog post, I am decidedly UNHAPPY with today's events. The only feature that I absolutely NEED on my iPhone is the A2DP support, and guess what? I am locked out because I have a 1st gen iPhone. This is complete lunacy. The amazing Softick Audio Gateway software made my Treo 650 A2DP capable, so I see absolutely NO reason why they couldn't do it here. Utter crap.
    03-17-2009 08:16 PM
    Finally, someone else who gets it! I make more mistakes in one sentence using landscape than I make in an entire paragraph using portrait.

Landscape is for people who are afraid to type fast and trust the keyboard... plus, it requires far more finger (thumb) movement. Makes no sense.
    This actually reminds me of one of my long-time complaints of the keyboard... it's too TALL. I recently installed an international keyboard extension (via jailbreak) for twitter shortcuts and found that activating it shrinks the keyboard vertically. Makes it *much* easier for me to type correctly on. Only downside is it moves all the side keys right to the edge so that I find it hard to hit them sometimes.

The landscape keyboard, of course, is just freakin' gigantic. Landscape mode is good for viewing but I would agree that I find it annoying to type in... well, at least for emails and such. Maybe if it was just URLs for filling out forms it would be OK.

That said, being able to twist the email app, for example, to landscape *is* good. Because there are sometimes HTML formatted messages too wide to be read in portrait and the bugger doesn't let me scroll sideways. So maybe landscape isn't good in this case for the reason they /think/ it is, but I will still enjoy it.
    03-17-2009 08:51 PM
    It almost makes me want to get rid of my BlackBerry Bold on my agent line. I only got it to fill in the holes that the iPhone had...Now most have been filled. The one exception is video recording. I would've liked to see that, but maybe they're holding that off for the 3rd gen iPhone.

Now I just have to see if I can give up BrickBreaker, BlackBerry Messenger, and better speakers and just stick with the iPhone solo!
    03-17-2009 09:48 PM
    So you all know already what the new features are... happy or not and why?!
    Fanboy hats off.

Listen, 3.0 will finally bring the full features of almost every smart and feature phone out there. It is good. Not Earth shattering.

Other than that, I saw lots for developers, games, and new revenue models for the App store. They gave us up to date functionality, and then laid out a plan to make more $ in the App store.

I don't use my iPhone for games, so this doesn't really get my rocks off. It is acceptable overall, but for 90% of the additions? Eh. I had those capabilities on other phones.
    03-17-2009 10:16 PM
    Happy, and I'll be even happier if Apple intros even more new features over the course of the betas before "summer"
    03-17-2009 11:33 PM
    Happy, and I'll be even happier if Apple intros even more new features over the course of the betas before "summer"
    I hope they aren't introducing features in *beta*. That could result in poor quality issues. By beta scope and features should be set in stone.
    03-18-2009 12:54 AM
    3.0 is great ...!!! love the iphone
    03-18-2009 04:45 AM
    I reckon there will almost certainly be a new iPhone, apple would be foolish not to do one, as it would certainly sell very quickly!
    As usual though they will control supply to generate hype!

I think the new iphone, besides the 3.0 software will have a much faster processor and a better camera, possibly with video function, but that's it.
    03-18-2009 06:45 AM
    oh and obviously 32Gb!
    03-18-2009 06:48 AM
    Obviously, everyone loves it and so am I!
    03-18-2009 08:13 AM
156 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD