What do you want from iPhone OS 3.0?

Stevie No-Wonder

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Well, I won't bother repeating everything already mentioned, so I'll just add something...

I'd like to be able to tap and hold the little scroll bar, that appears to the right, so I can just drag it on very long pages without having to swipe my finger fifty times. Maybe it could be made to remain visible for a few seconds longer in order to drag it, rather than quickly disappearing after removing the finger as it does now.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Well since i'm an iphone user and all (despite me moving to the Pre eventually), i'll give an honest opinion:

MMS (will be funny to listen to those praise this after saying they didn't need it.)

Tethering (mainstream users may not have a clue what this is. Expect at&t to insanely charge for it)

Turn by turn software (just a hunch)

Video recording (should be simple enough to do)

Stereo BT (obviously for more sales even though i don't think it adds much for most users)

Minor tweaks here and there to look different.

That's about it. Hard to speculate on any hardware coming but should be beefed up in processor & memory if apple wants to include multitasking NEXT year. I think they need more time as they have to tread carefully there. Lots of things could go wrong and they need to keep the UI simple as possible.

And i think 4.0 OS with multitasking will not be possible on original iphone or iphone 3g. But will on this year's iphone and next year's iphone forcing the upgrade.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Well since i'm an iphone user and all (despite me moving to the Pre eventually), i'll give an honest opinion:

The Pre hasn't even been release or really shown off and you already know you are going to switch to it before seeing the iPhone 3.0 OS? Not saying the Pre won't be a decent product, just find it strange to see someone so behind the Pre at this early stage.

scaliasphone

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
The same reason tons of people on Crackberry download leaked roms? Or shop in the Crackberry store?

No phone is perfect. No Blackberry, no Windows Mobile phone, etc...

I couldn't disagree with you more on this issue. Other than full QWERTY portrait mode in OS 4.7 for the Storm, the 4.5 betas were the only bootleg OS's that added a new feature set (full HTML email, video recording, tweaked browser, playlist support, etc.). The multiple versions of OS releases were tweaks with zero new features (exluding the 4.6 for the Bold with the useless visual VM icon) downloaded by beta-whores (I include myself in that category). God bless Crackberry, but the majority of those apps, especially post-4.5, are kinda crappy.

Even without 4.5 the BlackBerry OS is more of a true smart phone than the iPhone. Don't get me wrong--I love my iPhone. I just wish it came natively equipped with true "smart phone" features.

scaliasphone

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Media Reports

After the "event" on the 17th was announced yesterday, I have heard several radio news spots stating that the announcement on the 17th equates to a brand new iPhone this summer. I think they are jumping the gun on that.

jasonact

May 30, 2008
www.jasonmartinmft.com

You also forgot to mention that it's akin to burning money. It costs next to nothing for the carriers, but they charge insane rates for it. Why would I pay for MMS when email is free?

Also, for the few friends I have without email on their phones, I just ask for their carrier, look up the gateway (this is where copy/paste would be helpful), and save that it as an email address in contacts. After that, I just send to that email address. Yes, it's much more trouble than using MMS, but I see it as just biding time until all phones do email out of the box. The fewer phones that support MMS, the better.

jasonact

May 30, 2008
www.jasonmartinmft.com
MMS (will be funny to listen to those praise this after saying they didn't need it.)
I never use SMS. All of the people I used to send MMS to before I got an iPhone either now have phones with email or I have their gateway email-to-MMS addresses in my contacts, so I don't see that happening for me.

Tethering (mainstream users may not have a clue what this is. Expect at&t to insanely charge for it)
Mainstream users know about tethering. The grandma at the end of the block who just got rid of her rotary may not know about tethering, but she is neither a "mainstream" user nor an iPhone user, for that matter. Majority of iPhone users know about tethering. (BTW, I don't expect to use this either because I don't have a laptop.)

Turn by turn software (just a hunch)
This would be cool, and I think there's reason to think it could be included in 3.0.

Video recording (should be simple enough to do)

This is #1 on my want list, but I doubt it will be included in 3.0. A guy can dream, though.

Stereo BT (obviously for more sales even though i don't think it adds much for most users)
This would be great, but Jobs has said that the Stereo BT technology isn't mature enough to give the kind of audio quality and reliability they want on the iPhone. After having used various Stereo BT in the past, I'd have to agree. Now if Apple has somehow fixed this concern and include it in 3.0, that'd be great.

taroliw

Apr 5, 2005
www.billsden.org
I never use SMS. All of the people I used to send MMS to before I got an iPhone either now have phones with email or I have their gateway email-to-MMS addresses in my contacts, so I don't see that happening for me.
Intersting how people still interchange SMS and MMS. Not /really/ the same thing but OK. As for SMS, I still find I use it a lot. Why? No, it's not technically superior. But like vi, the postal service, and the good ol' hardwired telephone... when all hell breaks loose they still work. And SMS is ubiquitous, including feature phones (still vastly in the majority) as well as smartphones. There are several people in my contacts with whom I can only converse with via SMS when I'm remote. Amongst my friends, I'm still the geeky standout where it comes to running Twitter, IM, Facebook, etc on my phone. Maybe they'll catch up, maybe not. But there's no pressure to while SMS still exists and feature phones support little else.

MMS, I must agree, I rarely use. I find it annoying, to the point I have it disabled in my cell service. But it is still a tool that works (almost) everywhere. I always prefer email or IM for sharing images live, so I wouldn't cry if Apple never added it to the iPhone. But there are some people I know who adore MMS. *shrug*

BrotherNov

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Guess I'm the only business nerd on these forums, but the only thing I miss about my WinMob phones is the ability to carry a handful of Excel spreadsheets as reference. I also miss the synchronization of outlook notes. Think I'll ever see this functionality on my iphone?

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Guess I'm the only business nerd on these forums, but the only thing I miss about my WinMob phones is the ability to carry a handful of Excel spreadsheets as reference. I also miss the synchronization of outlook notes. Think I'll ever see this functionality on my iphone?

You could work around the excel by emailing yourself PDFs. I know iPhone opens PDF and word doc, but not sure about excel.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I also miss the synchronization of outlook notes. Think I'll ever see this functionality on my iphone?

I use Notebook from Appigo. Syncs with free service Toodledo for notes. You could also use NotesSpark. Yes it is not a native functionality, but I find I use these services more than Outlook Notes with my WM phones.

tony2979#CB

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
I also miss the synchronization of outlook notes. Think I'll ever see this functionality on my iphone?

This is a big one for me. Whether I should or not....I have half of my important info on those notes and would LOVE to be able to sync them with my iPhone.

Other than that, the only thing I really, really want is an updated "home screen". Not really needed, but would just be nice for a change of pace.

The MMS, cut and paste, tethering stuff......could care less.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
The more I think about it, an updated Lock screen with the ability to show Calendar, Weather, etc. would be nice. (Native of course. I already use Intelliscreen for this.)

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
This is a big one for me. Whether I should or not....I have half of my important info on those notes and would LOVE to be able to sync them with my iPhone.

Other than that, the only thing I really, really want is an updated "home screen". Not really needed, but would just be nice for a change of pace.

The MMS, cut and paste, tethering stuff......could care less.

If you sync via Exchange, you can get iMNotes. It syncs Outlook Notes wirelessly and works great.

thebrain2u

Sep 18, 2008
Visit site
I can see them using VoiceOver on the iPhone, for the iPod function and maybe even turn-by-turn. Push notification is still a dream, but it'd be a nice, pretty, fluffy dream. And I personally wish for voice-dialing, what with all the hands-free laws in California. Giving us an updated lockscreen would be pretty awesome, but a major winner for me. Although, it would keep me from pulling out and unlocking my phone so often.

As for Cut and Paste, I can see where it'd be useful, but the occassions are few and far between. Personally, it's one of those, "That's a nice feature, but I'll rarely use it."

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
The Pre hasn't even been release or really shown off and you already know you are going to switch to it before seeing the iPhone 3.0 OS? Not saying the Pre won't be a decent product, just find it strange to see someone so behind the Pre at this early stage.

Well ideally, i'd wait a year for webOS to mature a bit.

I love the iphone. (nevermind the jabs i poke at it) I'd like it better if it was on Sprint. I'm not a sprint fanboy but its the best coverage by far for me in my area. Being much cheaper doesn't hurt either. I've dropped calls and everything else but i think its more at&t than the iphone.

So the Pre is the first sprint capacitive touch screen, great browser, SOME useful apps at launch, that should give me enough of an iphone like experience. The multitasking and notifications is just dessert. Don't get me wrong, i wouldn't get rid of the iphone til i tried out the Pre.

I may get an ipod touch though if the Pre works out.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
So the Pre is the first sprint capacitive touch screen, great browser, SOME useful apps at launch, that should give me enough of an iphone like experience. The multitasking and notifications is just dessert. Don't get me wrong, i wouldn't get rid of the iphone til i tried out the Pre.

Well that makes a lot more sense now :)

I used to not like ATT, but in the last year the coverage in Miami has gotten a lot better. So yeah, if sprints coverage is a lot better and you can still get a cool, capacitance touch device I would probably do that too.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
You know, an easy way to help organize multiple pages of apps would be simply to let people "name" different pages - and then have a link to go to that page. Sort of like tapping the home button on the springboard will bring you to the first page - you could tap an icon that had whatever name you wanted (page 2, games, productivity, fart apps, etc) and it would move you to the page you designate with that name.

To go back to the main page simply tap the home button.

It would SORT of work like filing, except you will still have all the pages on the main springboard.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I would also like to see some more functionality on the calendar app. That is probably one of the top things I miss from my Treo days. More options for repeating events, more options for things like appointments, to do items on the calendar, etc.