What do you want from iPhone OS 3.0?

icebike

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Those thinking that Apple needs new stuff to crush the Pre are on the wrong track IMO.

All they need to do is release those things that the hardware can ALREADY do, but have been denied because the man on the Pedestal says "NO". Video cam, MMS, Bluetooth File Transfer, Push for Apps, SMS forwarding, and the rest of the things that the jail breakers do on apple's own hardware.

THAT BEING SAID: I wish they would do a limited release ONLY. Give this new version only to people who have had problems in the past and have contacted Apple Support. Joe WorksForME need not apply, those guys muddle thru anyway.

Maybe if they did just a little bit more testing the Apple forums would not be filled with 1000 post threads about how the new release bricked phones, killed batteries, etc.

The update process has always been RISKY. Way too risky. Each new update sees hundreds if not thousands of users rushing to the apple store for replacement phones. For a company that flaunts its "user friendly" in every commercial, their update track record is abysmal.

I suspect 3.0.2 might be a solid release. 3.0.0? Not so much, if history is any guide.

jasonact

May 30, 2008
www.jasonmartinmft.com
Does anyone think we could see background apps? I think it would explain the pull of push from the beta and then no mention of it.

I think that's almost a given. Apple doesn't just announce something and then never follow up. When they delayed Push Notification, I think it was because they ran into major problems and had to rethink the plan. 3.0 will almost certainly address it in some way, and I'm guessing that's a way to run a limited amount of background apps.

ptb6744#IM

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I am actually looking forward to MMS.. I really hope its in there. Also, I would like to allow apps to run in the background, and have push notifications. Tethering is not something I would care to much about and I don't think too many ppl care about that.

I would just like MMS, Background-running apps, push notifications, and copy/paste.

haplo53

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
I would like more cross-functionality between Calendar and Maps/Safari. If you have something typed into the "location" field of an event in Calendar, you should be able to touch it and have that location open up in Maps.

Likewise, if you have something typed into the URL field of an event in iCal or on MobileMe, you should be able to see it in the corresponding event on Calendar, touch it and have it open in Mobile Safari.

hiimhenryyy

Mar 12, 2009
www.henrybayuzick.com
I don't mind the lack of MMS, with the mail feature on the iPhone it's just fine. It's actually a bonus to have all my pictures being stored on my Gmail than my on my phone.

I'd love to see a task manager, because coming from the Blackjack II it was nice to be able just to kill the apps slowing me down.

Maybe video? but I have a feeling that won't be in this release because Apple can used that for whatever the next iPhone is. I can see the commericals now. "Introducing the new iPhone. Easier than ever, and now with video."

Copy paste wouldn't be bad, because there has been times where I would of loved to forward something to someone else, and not have to type it all out again.

I'm hoping it's not hardware related because I just recently bought my iPhone 3G, but I probably would be sucked into getting a new one. I much rather pay for a software update.

Whatever is happening March 17 is getting me stoked. It'll be like Christmas morning! ;)

-Henry

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Above all else (even copy/paste) the one thing I'd absolutely love is TBT GPS with VOICE directions.

G-Map East/West gives us ALMOST the whole package...just no voice guidance because of Apple.

B.

Unchewable

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
i am surprised no one has made mention of customizable sounds other then ringtones. all my buddies have iphones and we all have the same mail alert or sms sound and it drives me and my wife nuts. Landscaping keyboard in sms for the love of capacitive touch screens and perhaps other than that all the normal cut and paste forward sms etc. oh and the ability to edit contacts from the favorites menu.

icebike

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I want to turn off the camera click sound, and the stupid animation. all it does is slow the camera down, making it take too long between shots.

Jdub

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
i am surprised no one has made mention of customizable sounds other then ringtones. all my buddies have iphones and we all have the same mail alert or sms sound and it drives me and my wife nuts. Landscaping keyboard in sms for the love of capacitive touch screens and perhaps other than that all the normal cut and paste forward sms etc. oh and the ability to edit contacts from the favorites menu.

+1 for a Landscaping keyboard for SMS and throw Email on there too....
-Copy/Paste
-Push Notification
-MMS

Jdub

icebike

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Apple doesn't just announce something and then never follow up.

You could have fooled me....

When they delayed Push Notification, I think it was because they ran into major problems and had to rethink the plan.

I'm wondering if ATT didn't object to having 5 million iphones keeping connections open all the time. Remember, push requires and open TCP/IP connection, which ties up a port on both ends. (Although not necessarily anywhere inbetween).

scaliasphone

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
This is just making me lean towards no major hardware revision... which is not a bad thing. It is all about software in my opinion.

I completely agree. Probably get MMS, cut and paste, video, um....and maybe the keyboard in landscape for all applications. Hey, for us PC users, perhaps Apple could just release a version of iTunes that will burn CDs without messing with the registry editor!!

cobalt#IM

Aug 28, 2008
Visit site
- an accessible file system
- profile management
- themes / personalization options
- multi-tasking of *at least* streaming audio apps
- at least A2DP
- full MobileMe access
- push notification
- Flash support if it's technically feasible
- text document application
- wifi syncing and backup
- edit autofill email history
- copy / paste that doesn't involve swiping your thumb
- gesture recognition

Parenthetically, there isn't a single feature I've heard anyone mention that seems like it would justify a full version update -- especially since several of the desired additions were either already promised for version 2.x or already successfully demonstrated on version 2.x jailbreak.

Any thoughts about a major hardware upgrade? Some seem to think the OS update definitely indicates a major hardware upgrade.

F1Racer#IM

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I'd like to see proper Bluetooth discovery.

With my 3 year old Samsung phone I just just get into my car and when the car radio came on it would pick up and connect to my paired phone on its own (for handsfree usage obviously).
With the Iphone, I have to manually Search and Connect for the Iphone every time from the car radio.
Or, get the phone out of my pocket and be on the Bluetooth screen which is the only screen where the IPhone is in discovery mode.
Its crazy because this phone is far more advanced than my old Samsung but the Bluetooth implementation on it is useless.

That and MMS so I can send photos is all I need.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Just a question--there is some SERIOUS venom in these forums for the possibility of MMS. Why is it hated on so hardcore by some of you?

While I don't hate it I will say it is way over rated. Email is simply of better quality and a lot more reliable. Most of the time MMS messages from carrier to carrier end up taking forever to be received. When you call your carrier to complain they are never able to fix it and simply blame your friends carrier. The reason for this is there is nothing they can do. All of the carriers high a 3rd party company to handle the routing of these messages and if they are delayed it is this companies issue, not your carrier. When it works, yes it is nice... But email like I said, is way more reliable.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro