Ordering the Iphone tomorrow

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
I am a Blackberry user of 2 years that is ordering the Iphone tomorrow. My son has had his ITouch for 2 weeks and it was enough to put me over the edge, as I am a big browser and there is no comparison of Safari and anything BB (or anyone else) can throw out there.
I am not a doctor or emergency worker, so the 15 minute fetch is not a killer versus push emails on my blackberry. I would like to use Gmail on a Gmail app, and not in the native email account (I like the look and navigation of it). I also am addicted to my Google reader subscriptions, how best do I set that up?
I have seen some pretty cool I Phone covers and holsters, I want something to protect the phone and that can holster....is that possible.
Any advice on anything else is appreciated...thanks much.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
For Google Reader, look into Doppler. It is the best one I have used so far. Only issue is offline browsing of images. No standalone app has nailed that one just quite yet. Also, the webapp version is very solid if you have an active internet connection.

Nellybelly333

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
I am a Blackberry user of 2 years that is ordering the Iphone tomorrow. My son has had his ITouch for 2 weeks and it was enough to put me over the edge, as I am a big browser and there is no comparison of Safari and anything BB (or anyone else) can throw out there.
I am not a doctor or emergency worker, so the 15 minute fetch is not a killer versus push emails on my blackberry. I would like to use Gmail on a Gmail app, and not in the native email account (I like the look and navigation of it). I also am addicted to my Google reader subscriptions, how best do I set that up?
I have seen some pretty cool I Phone covers and holsters, I want something to protect the phone and that can holster....is that possible.
Any advice on anything else is appreciated...thanks much.

If you are looking at cases you should check out the incase slider and the capsule rebel.

zukir02

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
If you are looking at cases you should check out the incase slider and the capsule rebel.

How are you liking your switcheasy case? I was thinking about ordering another one but for some reason I like using it with out a case more. So I dont know what I am going to do just yet.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I am not a doctor or emergency worker, so the 15 minute fetch is not a killer versus push emails on my blackberry. I would like to use Gmail on a Gmail app, and not in the native email account (I like the look and navigation of it).
The iPhone supports direct push (not through a service like BB) with MobileMe ($99 / year), Yahoo, and Exchange. I have an exchange account for work, but also use gmail and ymail. I just you ymail to give me "push for gmail" by forwarding message for my gmail account to ymail and then pushed to my phone. I wrote up a how to on my blog for the gmail>ymail>iphone, so let me know if you are interested and I'll send you the link.

Voltaic Shock

Sep 16, 2008
Visit site
I really prefer the Capsule Rebel cases. I don't know if you can get a holster for it, but it's a really nice case.

I read that since Google released the Google Sync that push e-mail should be coming next.

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Google sync

So there is google sync for Iphone? I use it for my BB now and can't imagine being without it. Do you just download the Sync app and set it up and thats it?

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
The iPhone supports direct push (not through a service like BB) with MobileMe ($99 / year), Yahoo, and Exchange. I have an exchange account for work, but also use gmail and ymail. I just you ymail to give me "push for gmail" by forwarding message for my gmail account to ymail and then pushed to my phone. I wrote up a how to on my blog for the gmail>ymail>iphone, so let me know if you are interested and I'll send you the link.

I had heard about mobile me, and some of the issues of your email address showing up as different than your actual email (@mme or something). I too could do my work email via exchange....but it really isn't push, it's fetching every 15 minutes (unless you use mobile me or forward to Yahoo)?
Thanks for the thought on YMail.....I will do that for my Gmail. I am right that unless you do mobile me (or something similar) my exchange account will be fetching every 15 minutes?

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I had heard about mobile me, and some of the issues of your email address showing up as different than your actual email (@mme or something). I too could do my work email via exchange....but it really isn't push, it's fetching every 15 minutes (unless you use mobile me or forward to Yahoo)?
Thanks for the thought on YMail.....I will do that for my Gmail. I am right that unless you do mobile me (or something similar) my exchange account will be fetching every 15 minutes?

Each account will fetch or push data as you have configured it.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com

No, exchange support on iPhone is real push by default. It pushes email, contacts and calendar. You can change it to fetch, but why would you do that :)

The only other supported push platforms are MobileMe (which also does cal and contacts like exchange) and Ymail (which just does push email).

Here is how I setup my gmail to forward to yahoo which is then Pushed to my iPhone my iPhone gmail push work around…thanks ymail! | When Will Apple?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73