iPhone on Edge worth it?

Eric8199

Feb 28, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys, I need some help. I live in northern Michigan, and there is no 3g coverage up here. From what I understand, the Edge network is good up here though.

Anyway, I just recently got an iPod touch. I love it, but I want an iPhone. I hate carrying two devices, and I would rather have everything in one device. The plan was that the 8gb iPod Touch I have will be my wife's and that I would either get an iPhone this summer when my current contract is up, or I would get a 16gb iPod Touch.

What should I do? Is the iPhone worth having on Edge? Will I ever use it on there, or will it be a waste?

Give me your opinions. Anyone using the iPhone in an edge only zone?

aureatenova

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
I've got a 2G and therefore, even though I'm in an area with 3G, not for me. I've been really happy since I got it in December. My only complaints aren't 2g/3g related

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Maybe I'm spoiled by having such good 3G reception that I'm biased but I just can't imagine going back to Edge.

Last night I switched my iPhone back to Edge just to get a taste and it was horrible.

I'd be miserable if I only had EDGE on my Bold or iPhone.. soooo slow after getting used to a very quick 3G area..

jeremykyle

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
I use Edge daily, and sometimes when I go into 3G areas, I notice that my speed has gotten slower. 3G towers are swamped right now in most places, and Edge is working somewhat better.

charliej66

Sep 3, 2008
Visit site
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'd love to have 3g. But since I don't......the goods news is it should be here soon. There's coverage about 10 miles from me. So it shouldn't be too long.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I use Edge daily, and sometimes when I go into 3G areas, I notice that my speed has gotten slower. 3G towers are swamped right now in most places, and Edge is working somewhat better.

My EDGE is soooo slowed to my 3G.

My 3G is pretty much like snapping my finger.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'd love to have 3g. But since I don't......the goods news is it should be here soon. There's coverage about 10 miles from me. So it shouldn't be too long.

Well then go for it.. maybe call ATT and try to find out how soon it will be?

chudinka

Feb 17, 2009
Visit site
Well personally, since I live in Brooklyn, NYC, it doesn't seem to matter whether I used EDGE or 3G because they're so close to the same speed. So, either EDGE is really good or 3G is just really swamped in Brooklyn. But either way, GET THE iPhone!!!

charliej66

Sep 3, 2008
Visit site
Sorry. I meant I'd like to have 3g coverage. I've had the phone to a while. I did ask AT&T and they said by summer. So I'm just waiting.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
I had the original iPhone for a year and EDGE was the coolest thing ever because it was all we had. After switching to 3G, I'm angry if I'm at a place that only has EDGE. But since you're not going from 3G to EDGE, you will still love your iPhone!

It's like when dial-up internet came out... it was soooooooo cool to begin with. But once DSL was out, we all wondered how we survived on dial-up. And there were people who stayed on dial-up for awhile who thought is was perfectly fine and didn't need to upgrade.

Eric8199

Feb 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the help guys. Looks like I'll still plan to get the iPhone, just so long as the service is acceptable where I'm at. I work for a newspaper, so I need to have phone service almost everywhere I go. I'm hoping to have the same with Internet access. Slow or not, access will be better than no access.

Thanks for the help

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
I got an iPhone about a month ago and took it back after two days b/c I could not get a good signal for 3G. Well, now I have one again! EDGE is too slow for me for web access, but call quality is great. I home office, so I need good call quality. I use wifi now when at home and it is actually much faster than what I have on Sprint EVDO. So, this solution works for me so far and I switch to 3G when I leave the house - a few miles away, 3G seems to be good.

Damn, never thought I would do something like this for a freakin' phone - but just download Shazam and use it one time. Nuff said!

hotrod#AC

Jan 31, 2006
Visit site
Get it. I'm in both 3G and edge area, and yes edge is slower, but I use it all the time. I'm just happy to have internet and mail wherever I am. If I really want some media heavy internet, I just wait till I'm in 3G area or usually I wait till I'm in a Wifi area.

What other choice do you have? Get it, the phone rocks and I think you will love it.

rknowlt

Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
it is completely worth it to have an iphone in edge only areas. I live in upstate NY with only EDGE 99.9% of the time and still love my iphone more than any human should love a phone. Does it take a few seconds to open a web page? sure. but that doesnt make the phone worthless by any means.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2