Switched from BB to iphone need help on IM

alalex333

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
I just got the iphone 3g but my husband still has the bb curve. Does the iphone have an IM service like the bb messenger so that I don't have to use regular text (sms)? A lot different from the bb so any tips, suggestions, or helpful hints would be greatfully appreciated!

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Nothing like BB messenger but you can use other IM clients for AIM, Yahoo, etc...

Take a look at BeejiveIM - that is the best IM client currently for the iPhone.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Not over BB messenger but if he uses AIM or Yahoo chat then yes. Again just take BB messenger out of the picture as that only works with other Blackberry's. Hope this clear things up for you.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Stinks losing BB Messenger but I've adjusted well to BeeJive, plus it lets you type in landscape mode..

Which I find easier than portrait because I have big hands/fingers.

alalex333

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
If I just use the yahoo messenger, will it cost me as a text message or is it free as with bb messenger? How is yahoo messenger different from Beejive? Basically what I'm looking for is someway to text without having to purchase an additional plan when I'm already paying for data. Sorry for such basic questions but I'm relatively new to this. Thanks again for all of the help.

xkylar

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
I too just purchased an iPhone 3G and still have my BlackBerry Bold. Beejive is an instant messenger client that allows you to integrate multiple IM platforms (yahoo, gmail, live, jabber, etc) - BB Messenger. It uses your regular data plan to send/receive messages so no additional cost other than purchasing the software.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
If I just use the yahoo messenger, will it cost me as a text message or is it free as with bb messenger? How is yahoo messenger different from Beejive? Basically what I'm looking for is someway to text without having to purchase an additional plan when I'm already paying for data. Sorry for such basic questions but I'm relatively new to this. Thanks again for all of the help.

It's all data so you are safe. Keep in mind there are other IM clients in the App Store but BeejiveIM is hands down the best one.

dragonsgoalie

Feb 23, 2009
Visit site
Try meebo.com from your iPhone safari page. It's what I use. It says it is secure, and it has a bunch of IM services in one place. Just click on the one you want to use, and login with your account info. This is data usage not sms, so you shouldn't have any additional charges.

dragonsgoalie

Feb 23, 2009
Visit site
You can also try Twitter.com. You can create an account free and easy, and both iPhone and BB have apps for Twitter. It's similar to texting, or IMing. Except all the people you add can see all the messages and chat back and forth (Unless you send a private message).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2