View Poll Results: Will you purchase the next iPhone?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - did you even have to ask?

    74 50.68%
  • No - I've spent too much money already or just have no need for upgrades.

    18 12.33%
  • Not sure yet - I want to see what Apple and AT&T has in store for us.

    54 36.99%
  1. Jeremy's Avatar
    The day I turned 18 (25 now), I walked into an ATT Store (might have been Cingular at the time) and signed a contract with no deposit required. Unless you have butchered credit, I dont think one will have to throw down 500 bucks. Thats a lot.

    As for getting the next iPhone. No. I wont. I got mine yesterday. I will probably wait. And of course everyone has an Apple store friend and my Apple store friend is pretty sure that there will be no iPhone this year and just a huge software update
    It does not just mean you have butchered credit. It could mean you have no credit. And if you didn't have either of those then I guess you got lucky or that wasn't a requirement back then. It is required now - no questions asked.

    As for a new iPhone, there will be one. Whether it's a small storage upgrade or whatever, there will be one... Apple themselves have said the iPhone life cycle will be every June/July. Can't listen to those Apple store employees all the time, especially when it comes to upcoming products.
    03-02-2009 10:35 AM
  2. jhamilton3's Avatar
    I'm kinda starting to hope there isn't a "new" one.. just some small upgrade that I can do on my current 3G model.. reason being is I would like to finish up getting my back tattooed.. if there is a new model coming out I would be hard pressed on what to choose..
    03-02-2009 02:30 PM
  3. JustinHorn's Avatar
    Also, remember as has been pointed out before... your current iPhone 3g out of contract will have a good value to sell on ebay etc. out of contract.

    TiPb (http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/03...rogram-summer/) does have me worried about it a bit now though. To prevent a flood of iPhone 3g models flooding the streets by allowing iPhone 3g user to upgrade early and reset the 2 year contract they may not give you a contract price, but instead you keep your current contract with 1 year left, give them your 3g and get $200 off the price of the new one (which should bring it down to the same price as getting a new 2 year).

    So if this happens you are losing out on selling your old phone and getting the contract price
    03-02-2009 02:57 PM
  4. jhamilton3's Avatar
    I would rather trade in my 3G and not have to extend my contract.
    03-02-2009 03:23 PM
  5. legendofdon's Avatar
    Don't forget that the amount ATT gives you for your phone will depend not only upon what model it is, but its condition. If you bring in a fully functional, yet dinged up iPhone 3G, you aren't getting $200 for it. With store trade ins like that, the devices you bring in usually will go right back out as a refurb, so they need to be in near perfect condition to get optimal trade in value.
    03-02-2009 05:14 PM
  6. jhamilton3's Avatar
    Mine is still in pretty good shape and I plan on babying it so we'll see if the trade in pans out..
    03-02-2009 10:21 PM
  7. netsyd's Avatar
    Yup... without a doubt. Caveat - unless they do something incredibly stupid (like go back to all webapps or some such nonsense).
    03-06-2009 11:11 AM
  8. BB-fan's Avatar
    Wow I have been missing out again lately. I got a brand new hobby, guns.... so I have been on the gun forums alot. Been missing out on this and my car forum. I voted not sure, I need to see what the changes are and decide if its worth it. I am very happy right now with the 3g. One question, what the hell is a pre?
    03-07-2009 06:57 PM
  9. rustyjar79's Avatar
    I voted Yes, but I think the only thing that would hold me back is price, but if I can still get around $500 for my iPhone 3G now, I think I am in!
    03-07-2009 08:13 PM
  10. Xicano#IM's Avatar
    i'm currently using a curve and can upgrade my phone in april so i plan to get bb bold or curve II (8900) putt around on that till june when the new iphone's come out and then pick one of those up becuase unless they change their policy you can upgrade to an iphone at any time. so i hope to sell whichever bb i get and then be super happy with the new iphone. i'm kind of late to the whole iphone party. i just bought my girlfriend one for valentine's day and i've been playing with it A LOT and now that documents to go will be available, i'm pretty much sold.
    03-10-2009 03:07 AM
  11. Leanna Lofte's Avatar
    i'm currently using a curve and can upgrade my phone in april so i plan to get bb bold or curve II (8900) putt around on that till june when the new iphone's come out and then pick one of those up becuase unless they change their policy you can upgrade to an iphone at any time. so i hope to sell whichever bb i get and then be super happy with the new iphone. i'm kind of late to the whole iphone party. i just bought my girlfriend one for valentine's day and i've been playing with it A LOT and now that documents to go will be available, i'm pretty much sold.
    I think you should just wait and see if a new iPhone is coming out before upgrading in April. I'm pretty sure you don't qualify for the discounted price unless you are eligible for an upgrade. 2 months shouldn't be too bad of a wait.
    03-10-2009 05:05 PM
  12. Jeremy's Avatar
    I think you should just wait and see if a new iPhone is coming out before upgrading in April. I'm pretty sure you don't qualify for the discounted price unless you are eligible for an upgrade. 2 months shouldn't be too bad of a wait.
    I say go for it. The resale value for iPhone 3G's will be pretty high considering many T-mobile customers will want them - especially unlocked which is pretty easy to do. I just got rid of 2 first generation iPhones. Both sold for $300 and $350 respectively and that is excellent for a device older than a year.

    Another thing is we are completely in the dark as to what AT&T and Apple have planned for those upgrading this year. Last year they allowed it even if you did not have a upgrade coming to you. So it is a possibility this year.
    03-10-2009 05:08 PM
  13. Microcosmos's Avatar
    I too say wait. Why? Because anything that they come up with in the hardware department can only be good!
    03-10-2009 09:52 PM
  14. Xicano#IM's Avatar
    I think you should just wait and see if a new iPhone is coming out before upgrading in April. I'm pretty sure you don't qualify for the discounted price unless you are eligible for an upgrade. 2 months shouldn't be too bad of a wait.
    I say go for it. The resale value for iPhone 3G's will be pretty high considering many T-mobile customers will want them - especially unlocked which is pretty easy to do. I just got rid of 2 first generation iPhones. Both sold for $300 and $350 respectively and that is excellent for a device older than a year.

    Another thing is we are completely in the dark as to what AT&T and Apple have planned for those upgrading this year. Last year they allowed it even if you did not have a upgrade coming to you. So it is a possibility this year.
    I too say wait. Why? Because anything that they come up with in the hardware department can only be good!
    Thanks for the advice. Did you happen to see this on mac daily news? I know, i know it's all rumor but it seems reasonable.

    So I can't link the article because I havent made 10 posts yet, but they have some new iphone specs.
    03-11-2009 12:59 AM
  15. Leanna Lofte's Avatar
    If it has a copy and paste option I will!
    When/if copy and paste becomes available, it will be via a software update. You won't need the "new" iPhone to get it
    03-11-2009 06:39 PM
  16. avatar test's Avatar
    If it can multi task like windows mobile I will
    03-11-2009 07:07 PM
  17. Mike1980's Avatar
    more yes than no. it is nice to have newest one. but i will not sell my old one
    03-12-2009 04:37 PM
  18. daywalker#IM's Avatar
    put me down for one only if it has mms, flash, and allow apps to run in the background
    03-14-2009 09:15 PM
  19. Shorty's Avatar
    Probably not, it was a one off when i bought the iPhone 3G PAYG.
    Cant afford another 350+, well not yet anyway...
    Maybe when it comes out, i might be working by then.
    03-18-2009 07:52 PM
  20. LionInAComa's Avatar
    Im on the tail end of my VZW contract with my BB. It ends in July so I'll be all set for the new Iphone. I really wish they would give a definitive answer on an update soon. If I know they aren't I'd pay the ETF right now and grab a 3G. I guess we'll have to wait till Mayish for that news. Any idea when Apple has to submit it to FCC?
    03-18-2009 09:45 PM
  21. inkedgeek's Avatar
    I just signed a contract with AT&T about 2 months ago, if give it to me for a reasonable price lets say $350 or less I'll definitely take it.
    03-19-2009 02:51 PM
  22. Jeremy's Avatar
    Since we will see more iPhone hype in the weeks to come why not bring this thread back to life...
    05-15-2009 01:36 AM
  23. tchaves's Avatar
    For me it depends on the upgrades. I started my contract last year, and if it's not something spectacular I'll wait to finish out my contract with the current hardware.
    05-15-2009 01:07 PM
  24. Kickstar13's Avatar
    Hell ya! I want the new iPhone really badly!
    05-16-2009 12:46 PM
  25. iNick's Avatar
    Just got my 3G a few weeks ago. If i can renew my contract and get the new iphone at a good price, ill do it for sure, but being a student that needs to pay rent in NY, i may not have the luxury...Of course, i am beyond happy with my current phone and ill probably still be in honeymoon mode till the update after this rumored one.
    05-18-2009 12:58 PM
104 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD