Why Can't I Have iWork for iPhone?

eugarps#CB

May 31, 2008
Visit site
All,

The highly touted Mac OS Mobile would seem to be able to support some form of iWork. Heck WM users get at least a rudimentary version of Word, Excel, and Power Point. It would seem that Apple could give us iWork.

Just give me iWork, ToDo, and Cut and Paste and I'll be happy. If the next generation of iPhone doesn't have some form of productivity software on which I can review and edit Word (Pages) and Excel (Numbers), I'm outta here. If I wanted a game platform, I'd just buy one.

The iPhone Curmudgeon,

Bill

melwan

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
^ true, especially that MobileFiles Pro allows for Excel editing/saving and they are working on Word and PowerPoint support.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Even being a college student it really has not caused me any problems.. Let alone made me think about getting rid of mine.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
No one knows why there is no iWork or pocket Office. I'm actually kind of surprised MS hasn't released an iPhone version of Office to the app store for $100 or something.

However, do you really want to be editing documents and stuff on a 3.5" screen with a virtual keyboard? That just isn't something that really sounds that appealling, there are apps in the app store that allow you to view documents so you can review them on the go. But composing one or even editing I think is better off left to a computer with a full keyboard, and Apple probably found many people never touch the pocket Office on WinMo devices unless your the hardest of the hardcore mobile professional.

eugarps#CB

May 31, 2008
Visit site
All,

True enough about the virtual keyboard. It's good for texting but not so good for emails. I'm still carrying my Palm TX with its folding keyboard for email responses and I do have a Treo Pro as well. I happen to use Excel and Word on the road and have spreadsheets I've developed that work in support of my civil engineering work. I guess I'll just wait until HTC brings out its Touch Pro 2 later this year. The screen will be about the same size as the iPhone's screen and the TX's screen and it'll have a slider I can use for some things. I can still use my BT keyboard for more serious work, when I'm traveling light.

Thanks for your thoughts. I was just trolling for thoughts and insights some of you my have had on when Apple was going to make the leap from phone with gaming on board to a road warrior's tool. Guess I'm just too hardcore but I'm trying to get over the Batman utility belt idea and go back to one device (plus maybe a folding keyboard).

I guess I should look at threads that contain questions like "What do you use your iPhone for?" I have a feeling that the folks that are complaining about 3G speeds are not necessarily using their phones for uploading and downloading client's large Word and Excel documents. In my field, a 100 page Word file is pretty common and, yes, I do edit those on my Palm TX rather than lug a notebook. Documents to Go gives me the editing power I need right on my TX. I understand DataViz is going to bring out an iPhone APP but without a BT keyboard and cut and paste, even that will be pretty useless.

Thanks again,

Bill

Last edited:

melwan

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
Just to let you know, copy and paste is already available through JB. And in case you missed my post above, Spreadsheet editing is already possible on the iPhone, Word and PowerPoint are to follow any time now.

jeremykyle

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
the ability to cut and paste isn't really a big need on my list, but being able to edit documents while on the go is a necessity. Being a college student, this would be a great feature.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711