BB owner considering switch to iPhone questions

nursgirl#IM

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
First off sorry if this post is in the wrong forum, I couldn't figure out where to put it LOL

I am currently the owner of a Blackberry Curve 8330 and a nurse who is back in school again. A buddy of mine sitting next to me in class owns an iPhone and we have the same Skyscape Nursing Constellation program and his looks ENTIRELY different on the iPhone... the display is SO much nicer and easier to use.. much quicker to find what we need!!! I love my BB but because of the ease of use of the iPhone I am gonna head over to AT&T store tomorrow to see what kind of deal I can get with a new contract...

My question is this- iPhones do not use sd cards, right? I have googled this and read the apple site and see nothing about sd cards but I wanna make sure. If this is true I am also wondering how much info I can pack into an 8g phone. I do not carry around alot of music, maybe 100 songs... maybe 200 pics... what do you guys think? I figure I can sell my Curve on ebay for about $200 and buy an iPhone on a new contract for about the same... if it's 8g...

I know it is blasphemy to consider switching "sides" from crackberry LOL, but I really just want a phone/PDA/music player that is functional and quick and easy to use. If I lose friends over it then that sucks but oh well...

One more question... does the calender function on the iPhone allow for lots of appointments and reminders? As a VERY busy stressed out student I need to be able to put 5 appts/reminders on each and everyday.

Any help with my newbie questions would be welcomed!!!!!!! I look forward to playin with an iPhone tomorrow and hopefully coming home with one! Thanks in advance!!

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Welcome to the forums, nope - no sd cards on the iPhone. If you are not looking to keep much music or video 8 gb should be more than enough. As far as calendars go, I actually like the iPhone's calendar more so than my BB Bolds. That's just me though. Make the switch and you will not be disappointed. If you have a Apple store in your area I'd suggest you go there instead of a AT&T store.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
First off sorry if this post is in the wrong forum, I couldn't figure out where to put it LOL

I am currently the owner of a Blackberry Curve 8330 and a nurse who is back in school again. A buddy of mine sitting next to me in class owns an iPhone and we have the same Skyscape Nursing Constellation program and his looks ENTIRELY different on the iPhone... the display is SO much nicer and easier to use.. much quicker to find what we need!!! I love my BB but because of the ease of use of the iPhone I am gonna head over to AT&T store tomorrow to see what kind of deal I can get with a new contract...

My question is this- iPhones do not use sd cards, right? I have googled this and read the apple site and see nothing about sd cards but I wanna make sure. If this is true I am also wondering how much info I can pack into an 8g phone. I do not carry around alot of music, maybe 100 songs... maybe 200 pics... what do you guys think? I figure I can sell my Curve on ebay for about $200 and buy an iPhone on a new contract for about the same... if it's 8g...

8 gigs is alot, I have a couple of gigs of music (400 songs), 1/2 gig of photos (about 800), 1.6 gigs of apps (one is G-maps over 800MB by itself total of 63 apps) about 300MB of "other" and still have about 2.4 gigs left empty. No doubt it can fill up quick but it's still alot of room, if your worried spend the extra 100 and get the 16 gig, wishing I had.

I know it is blasphemy to consider switching "sides" from crackberry LOL, but I really just want a phone/PDA/music player that is functional and quick and easy to use. If I lose friends over it then that sucks but oh well...

I'm sure you'll gain plenty of friends here ;)

One more question... does the calender function on the iPhone allow for lots of appointments and reminders? As a VERY busy stressed out student I need to be able to put 5 appts/reminders on each and everyday.

I've not tested it, but I'm sure it does, it also allows for two reminders for 1 appt...but doesn't have a snooze feature.

Any help with my newbie questions would be welcomed!!!!!!! I look forward to playin with an iPhone tomorrow and hopefully coming home with one! Thanks in advance!!

Welcome!

Nellybelly333

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site

Any help with my newbie questions would be welcomed!!!!!!! I look forward to playing with an iPhone tomorrow and hopefully coming home with one! Thanks in advance!!

I also just made the switch from BB to iphone! I couldn't be happier. This is actually funny because I had a lot of the same concerns as you.

In terms of music. With 100 songs and 200 pictures... You would barely put a dent in an 8GB. Not exaggerating.

I also love having a great calendar, and one of the best things about getting an iphone (besides the fact that it has a great calendar) is the fact that is you use outlook and you have your BB synced with it, then sync your iphone, all your contacts/reoccurring calendar events are moved right in. I loved that, and was not expecting it!

And no, the iphone does not use SD cards.

PHEW! Hope that helps!

nursgirl#IM

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
Could not agree more on this point Ash...

Wondering why? Although I am sure they will be able to answer my questions more thoroughly LOL. Can the people at that store sign me up for an AT&T contract?

btw, you guys ROCK with all the info!!!!!!!! thank you! I think I am sold on the iPhone...

*** edit... just discovered that even though I live in so Cal the nearest store would be over an hour away... oh well ***

Last edited:

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Wondering why? Although I am sure they will be able to answer my questions more thoroughly LOL. Can the people at that store sign me up for an AT&T contract?

btw, you guys ROCK with all the info!!!!!!!! thank you! I think I am sold on the iPhone...

*** edit... just discovered that even though I live in so Cal the nearest store would be over an hour away... oh well ***

Yes they can set you up with a contract, that is the only way they can sell you the phone.

nursgirl#IM

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
Yes they can set you up with a contract, that is the only way they can sell you the phone.

ya know, now that you said that I had to laugh at myself... oops that was definately a "duh" moment haha

Thanks again guys, I am looking forward to heading over to AT&T tomorrow! Wish me luck! ;)

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
ya know, now that you said that I had to laugh at myself... oops that was definately a "duh" moment haha

Thanks again guys, I am looking forward to heading over to AT&T tomorrow! Wish me luck! ;)

I'm sure you'll be pleased with your decision. Have patience though! :)

Nellybelly333

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site

Goodluck! If your like me, you will be lost to the world for at least 24 hours while you play with it! :D

And ask as many questions in here as you can thing of, everyone is super helpful!

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
One thing to point out is there is a very high probability that a new 3rd gen iPhone will be out in 4-5 months so you may want to hold off until then.

I've not tested it, but I'm sure it does, it also allows for two reminders for 1 appt...but doesn't have a snooze feature.

Yes, I have my iPhone synced to an exchange account and use it for work and when you run your own business and have a crappy memory like me this calendar becomes a lifeline. Now that I have it over the air synced it's even better. I set an appt in outlook it's on my phone automatically within seconds without ever taking it out of my pocket.

If you don't have an exchange account you could sign up for mobile me for $99 a year and get pretty much the same thing!

You will not be disappointed.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
If you don't have an exchange account you could sign up for mobile me for $99 a year and get pretty much the same thing!

You will not be disappointed.

Or even less, I just bought a 1 yr subscription to mobileme on ebay for 65 bucks.

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
RE: inputting 5+ calendar appointments daily, I do it pretty frequently as well, so to answer your question, yeah, you can put in LOTS of appointments daily. I'm not sure there's a limit; never tested it.

As Dizzy said, MobileMe makes the calendar even more powerful and productive because it will sync all your data wirelessly to your laptops and/or desktops.

Txdogs

Jan 9, 2009
Visit site
Good luck Nursgirl and welcome! I also am a nurse and have been at it for 32 years. More power to you going back to school. I think you'll love the Iphone. I use it a lot for calendars, my on call schedule at work, appts., etc.

nursgirl#IM

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
I just chatted online with an ATT rep and she claims they don't carry iPhones in the store, that I should just order it thru her online... then she said "well sometimes they carry one or two instore at new contract discount" and I was thinking wth? I only want ONE... LMAO!!!! oh geesh! So I am off to the ATT store to see what they have...
Thanks SO much for all the welcomes and words of wisdom!
Txdogs~ YAY NURSES!!!!!!!!! I am SO proud to be a nurse! Nice to meet ya!

DRLyman

Jan 20, 2009
www.LymanPhoto.com
I just chatted online with an ATT rep and she claims they don't carry iPhones in the store, that I should just order it thru her online... then she said "well sometimes they carry one or two instore at new contract discount" and I was thinking wth? I only want ONE... LMAO!!!! oh geesh! So I am off to the ATT store to see what they have...
Thanks SO much for all the welcomes and words of wisdom!
Txdogs~ YAY NURSES!!!!!!!!! I am SO proud to be a nurse! Nice to meet ya!

I look forward to seeing how it goes. I know you will love this phone. Good luck :)

Wyatt

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Good luck nursgirl, I'm pretty sure ATT will have at least one iPhone for you. If not any Apple store will.

robdam1001

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
I suggest you go to the AT&T store to get your iphone versus the Apple store. I was in and out of my local AT&T store in less than 1 hour up and running with (2) 16GB last Fall. Just my experience, however. I sync my very busy calender with mailstreet for exchange. $22/ month but well worth it. That price also includes OL 2007 and OWA.

megscd

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I'm a nurse and my iPhone is far more useful than my Curve was. The software is much more usable. There are several options; I like Epocrates Essentials because it contains IV compatibility information, but I know other nurses who use Nursing Constellation. Either way it's much faster to get to the info through the iPhone interface. As for scheduling, I use the OTA Gcal sync now and it works great. For reminders you can use Gcal for SMS or popup reminders, or I use TextLater all the time!

nursgirl#IM

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
ok so I DID IT!! I took the plunge!! so far I LOVE it... only thing I miss is my blackberry messenger... but before I shut off the BB I told my pals what I was doing and they gave me their IM info haha

so, now that I have it and I am SO over the fart apps, can anyone recommend any good apps? I need one for twitter and one for IM (I use yahoo, live)

p.s. omg my music, contacts, and calender were SO much easier to sync with iPhone!!! and my music sounds SO good!!!!!!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711